Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New member saying hello!
Hello everyone, I have been lurking around here for awhile and figured I should finally post.

1st a bit about myself. I am 34 yrs old, live in Fort Collins, Colorado and am addidcted to fishing. I usually try and fish between 3-6 days a week with at least 1/2 of the days with my 4 yr old son. He is cathing the fever. [cool] At the age of 3 he has a 19" rainbow & a 17" LMB under his belt. All caught fully on his own. Ok, enough bragging on him.

Anyway, I just got my 1st float tube this year. It's a Super Fat Cat that I an in the process of adding things to. So far I bought a fish finder and battery and should have the hooked up this week. Next will be a rod/tool holder. I have seen a few on the pictures you folks have kindly shared and like the plans.

When I get the 'Fat Bastard' (the name of the float tube) on the water for his maiden voyage I will try and take some pictures.

The only wuestions I have are, what do you wear on your legs in the warmer months while fishing from a tube? Waders? Pants? I guess I know I am gonna get a bit freaked out when stuff brushes up against my legs.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and thank you all for making this such an amazing forum!!!
[cool][#0000ff]Hey newbie, welcome to the board. See, it wasn't that tough to register, was it?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hope you enjoy your new ride. Also hope you have found enough pics and posts to help you get it tricked out right. Feel free to pop in and ask your questions if you have any.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are a lot of little lakes up in your part of the state that are ideal for tubing. I am sure you will get a lot of use out of your craft. Then you will need to get something for your son. Either that or stick him behind your seat in the SFC. But, that wouldn't be as good for either of you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We have had a few discussions on waders, but I don't think the issue of something "brushing up against the legs" has been a topic. If you are fishing in shallow, weedy water, you will experience that, but it is not serious unless you tangle with a submerged barb wire fence. On the other hand, if you feel something brush against your leg, in deep water, you should listen for the theme music from JAWS....Da Dum. Da Dum. Da Dum. Then, tie on your biggest fly. And, you're gonna need a bigger tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Seriously, I use lightweight waders during mild months, as much to keep dry as to keep warm. In warm water lowland lakes, when the water gets over about 70 degrees, you can fish comfortably without waders. I don't suggest shorts or you will get sunburned knees. You sit pretty high in the SFC. Wear comfortable pants, but not jeans. The stiff cloth bunches up behind your knees.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you probably have guessed, you will want to wear neoprene waders in the late fall and early spring. Those are some of the best tubing times, so it is no time to wimp out and hang your tube in the garage.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Good luck and post some pics of your new ride when you are finished decorating it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
ZIAS, WELCOME ABOARD. YOU DO KNOW THAT A TUBE IS GOING TO BE UNDER THE X-MAS TREE THIS YEAR, BECAUSE ONCE YOUR SON SEES YOU ON THE TUBE HE'S GOING TO EXPECT ONE, SOON.

WELCOME
ATFISHING
[signature]
Welcome to the board! It is good to hear from someone from Ft. Collins. I lived there from 1989-93, while going to graduate school. Where do you like to fish? Besides the streams offering good fly fishing, I used to hit Horsetooth a lot for smallies and eyes, Red feather lakes for trout, and Joe Wright and Zimmerman for some high country fun. There was also a pond out by Harmony road that would yield for a starving student some crappie fillets. Good memories. There are a lot of places around there where a float tube will be ideal. Let us know how you do once afloat.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]Welcome Zias. Got a great tube there. If in the future you want to go motorized, I was cleaning out the garage and found my Float Power (a small tube that attaches with straps to your float tube with a battery box and a block for a minn kota), that I really don't need anymore.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]As far as legs in the water. In a float tube I would suggest wearing waders ( a few lakes around here people have gotten leg itch). I feel though, that all you need is a GOOD pair of breathables (with the roll down to the waist feature for summer). Chest waders come in handy when the weather changes and it gets choppy, even on warm days, to keep you dry. I haven't used neoprene for ten years. Breathables are so versitile, Wear a pair of scrubs, or even shorts in the summer and layer with nylon and fleece or wool in the winter. Note: never wear cotton under breathables, cause you will sweat. And if your ankles feel wet, give it a few minutes and if they are still wet you might have a leak, if they feel dryer, then welcome to neoprene, the booties. Plus they roll up small & you can get them with boot (some with lace up) attached. [/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 3]This is just my opinion and I am not trying to disagree with anyone. Just a little FWIW[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Hi and welcome. We are always happy to have new tubers and new members here. We hope to see some of your reports here and don't forget to let us see a pic of your pimped out ride.[cool]
[signature]
Breathables-
With all due respect to TD, I would ixnay the neo's. Usually your feet are the ones to get the coldest in the winter water (that's on the verge of freezing over) You can keep your legs and upper body warm. Most breathables have neoprene booties. With the wading boots on and the flippers, and your feet being furthest apendage away from the rest of your body, they're going to be the first to give up the ghost.
Breathables are more comfortable, easy to get on and off. You can layer to the season. Neo's are thicker than breathables (naturally) but if you get a good pair, there's no reason you can't use them 4 seasons per year for a long time.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No disagreement from this kid. I have made do with a single pair of breathables for many years. Got my first neoprenes only after moving back to Utah 2 years ago and use them only on the coldest days. There are lots of times when I know that an extra layer of fleece under the breathables would keep me just as warm as the neoprenes. As you point out, the breathables have the neoprene feet, and that is the area where cold causes most problems with most tubers.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once I finish off the pair of 'prenes I am using now, I shall not replace them. My recommendation is only for the benefit of some folks who have a low tolerance of cold. There are a few of those. Me? I have a super metabolism and do not chill easily. My wife is jealous because when we get rained on (without rain gear) I steam dry my clothes quickly while she still shivvers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3]You do that too? I thought that my ol' man was shorting out! LOL[/size][/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3]But in defense to the fear of breathables, I am a skinny kid that gets cold quite easy (except for the welcomed occassional hot flashes-a woman thing[Wink]) I have to say that I don't get cold in breathables (except my hands and occassionally my toes, which I am sure is caused by not moving them around enough plus being the neo end of my waders). Plus the nylon and fleece undergarments wick away sweat.[/size][/purple][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][purple][size 3]The problem I had with neo's is I would get warm, maybe too warm and when walking or kicking or any other excersise, I would sweat. Catch a cool breeze on upper body and I was an ice cude, specially when taking them off (which worked up a sweat also LOL)[/size][/purple][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I don't know about wearing the nylon underthings. Although, I have been wearing pantyhose ever since my wife found that pair in my car.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What we are all getting around to is that there are some variables that should enter into whatever somebody buys when they get a set of waders. Water temps alone are not what it's all about.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]People do have different metabolisms and different tolerance levels to hot and cold. Regardless of what waders you have, you need to layer appropriately and be prepared to add or subtract a layer when changing weather conditions indicate it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Each of us should know our own personal requirements better than anyone else, so nobody else is really capable of telling us exactly what we need or don't need. But, it is always good to get input from different people and different perspectives. At least it can make us aware of considerations that we may not have known about otherwise. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I like to put it...I may not know all the answers by now, but I sure know most of the questions.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 1][#0000ff]I don't know about wearing the nylon underthings. Although, I have been wearing pantyhose ever since my wife found that pair in my car.[/#0000ff] [/size]

Now you've done it! I have to not only wipe the coffee off my monitor but, my keyboard as well.......THANKS![cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Cain't hep it if you're sloppy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Better than "used" coffee in your waders, when you drank more than you shoulda before a trip and didn't make it to the shore in time. Never could figure out how one cup of coffee could turn into a gallon of "bilge water" so danged fast.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, newbie, see what you got started.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you may already know, we take our fishing and tubing seriously, but we NEVER take ourselves too seriously.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sorry about hijacking your post.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Wow, thanks for all the replies and warm welcome.

I learned a few things so far:

1) Breatheable waders - on the list now
2) Knees get sunburned - SPF 40 on the list
3) TubeDude wears stockings and pantis - image is seered into my mind, send therapy bill to bigfishtackle.com.

I do have one question that I didn't really see addressed on the forums. I am VERY curious about doing some night fishing after a few dozen trips on the tube to get used to it.

Anyone fish at night in a tube? Any pointers for that? What were some things you realized once you got on the water in the dark? What did you wish you had with you?

I am going to try and get out this weekend. I still have to build the rod holder so that will maybe happen Friday night.

doggonefishin, I fish pretty much anywhere. Horsetooth, Dixson, Douglas, Watson, you name it. I am gonna get my 16' boat out soon too so all water is fair game for me. Puddles to massive lakes are on my list. I am an addict.

This year I want to get into some muskie and some serious smallies ( in the belly boat). Walleyes will be the target from the big boat though.

Thanks again and let me know about night fishing in tubes if you all would....
[cool][#0000ff]Well, well, well. Looks like you gonna fit right in here, son.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Night fishing? Been doing it for a whole lotta years. Catfish, bass, walleye, crappies, trout and other species often hit well at night. Tubing is a good silent way of fishing at night, as long as you keep safety in mind.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Rather than do a big long dissertation here (I don't do long posts. HA!), I will attach a segment from my chapter on TACKLE AND TECHNIQUES, from the rewrite I am currently doing on my book.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you know the lake and you know the fish you are going after, night fishing is usually easier. Don't ever fish a new lake for the first time at night. Tough duty. Just stay out of boating lanes and carry at least two forms of lighting and an air horn for signaling your location...either to approaching boats or if you need help.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Where are you thinking about night fishing and for what species?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]As far as night fishing, Tube Dude is the answer man. All I can say I do is I have the head lamp by Petzle. The Zipka which has 5 LED's and three different brightnesses. I also use a red lens cover so as not to spook the fish. Head land or some kind of light on the boat is a must, along with a radio incase the unexpected. I also use glow in the dark line with a small UV flashlight to charge it.[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]I also like to put a lantern at the point of launch so I can find my way back to shore. It is easy to get turned around in the dark.[/black][/font]
[signature]
[size 1]"Walleyes will be the target from the big boat though."[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]I am not a walleye expert by any means, but a lot of us here, myself included, score eyes regularly in our float tubes. I used to pick up eyes on occasion in those coves near the dams at Horsetooth, while targeting smallies. It could be a fun "double" for you up there in the SFC. [/size]

[size 1]Good luck this weekend.[/size]
[signature]
I guess I wasn't logged in. Man, this forum can be hard to navigate! Sheesh. [Wink]
[signature]
Good luck to you Zias. I look forward to your report.

zonker
[signature]
Hi Zias,

Welcome to BFT and the tubers.

Ha ha ha ! Fat Bas*ard was the name of the character in the Austin Powers movie. Loved the accent and his chant about baby-back ribs!

JapanRon
[signature]