Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone try a small kayak paddle in their tube?
I was wondering since noticing my new fishcat is sorta boat-shaped, would using a kayak paddle in addition to kicking get me to my spots quicker or troll faster while providing a full body workout that I desprately need? Or is it a dumb idea that a few have tried but were too embarrassed to post about it[blush]
[signature]
I'm also a kayaker so it's one of the first things I tried in my Fat Cat. The taper is behind you so you need to paddle backwards. Trying to go forward with the blunt (unstreamlned) is not productive. On the whole it's a waste of time and energy. I was hoping it would work.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's kinda like asking the question "Is it okay if I hit myself in the head?" The answer is "Sure, but why would you want to?"[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not to make light of your serious question but it is clearly possible to carry and employ a paddle on your tube if you want to. But, with a good set of fins, and under most conditions, there would never be a good reason to use a paddle rather than fins.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Pontoons, on the other hand, are designed to be mainly propelled with oars. You can move a lot farther a lot faster by using oar power. With toons, fins are used only after you reach your destination, to help keep you positioned (hands free) while fishing.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]My ol' man has an Escalde, and it looks like basically two SFC stuck together front to front. It is a SFC with the space behind and all the same features but it comes to a point in the front with a brace to put you feet on to row (which I think is a must to work effectively). But it folds up just like the SFC. We use our Echo's now, maybe I ought to put it in the sale section.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Thanks for the replies!
The two reasons for wanting to try it were 1. For the exercise. I need to get in better shape. I have a bad hip, I can't jog or ride a bicycle,so i need to find some way to get exercise.
2. I was just going to paddle to get to spots quicker mainly. when i fish I will not be using the paddle.
[signature]
Fly Goddess,

Interestingly enough, I have thought of how I might attach my two tubes together to get the configuration of your husband's Escalade. Haven't gotten too serious about it but if I had a swimming pool I would probably be experimenting.
[signature]
[unsure] I tried it once with a pontoon. Turned out to be more of a pain in the butt then anything.
[signature]
Remember the "Paddle-Pusher-Fins".
Sold by Fishmaster
[url "http://www.fishmastermfg.com/aboutfishmastermfg.htm"]http://www.fishmastermfg.com/aboutfishmastermfg.htm[/url]

They strapped onto your ankle, and folded in when you moved your foot forwards through the water ... then when you "step forwards" and sweep your leg and foot towards the rear, the fin would swivel out and lock sticking out sideways, so you would mover forwards in your tube. .... theoretically .... but they were a slow means of propulsion.

Well there were some tubers happy using them in brush (where they didn't want to go very far in the first place) for fishing and they would use table tennis bats as mini oars to speed things up when the paddle pusher fins were too slow. But they were going opposite to the direction we go with fins.

Never tried it myself - always need my hands for something trivial, like fishing [Smile]
[signature]
I don't recall where I read it (might have been here), but someone suggested carrying a pingpong paddle or two in the event you lost one or both flippers, or needed to move a little faster. I actually got into some weeds in a pond last year and was starting to wonder if I'd be able to flip my way out of them. I was kind of wishing for paddles of some sort.
[signature]
I get the picture of what you are trying to accomplish for the love of the sport.

I have tried a paddle in the past. I will sometimes carry one with me when I'm tubing the Salt just to help me when a tide change is too quick for my favor.

For the sake of propulsion with a bad hip, the paddle could be a benefit but would also limit the amount of extra goodies that you could possibly mount to your tube.

You will need to keep low profile accessories in order to have room to use the paddle. That could mean using the rod straps on the tube and having to assemble and dissassemble before changing over to a different set up for different fish.

I am glad to see that you have such a love for the sport that you would be looking for alternate methods of locomotion.

One other alternative could be going to a higher tube like the Fish Cat 4, ODC 420 or something along that line. They do sit higher out of the water and primarily use your legs from the knee on down. There is not any impact on the hips for those rigs.[img]../../images/gforum/cool.gif[/img]
[signature]
tN2: I thought for sure you would suggest to not take the ping pong paddles along unless they were going to bring the table also....I mean you could set it up in between the microwave and sat dish.
[signature]
That is true but I just got a new China cabinet and I'm already fight for space for the Lazy-Boy.[cool]
[signature]