Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Charging Boat batteries
[font "Arial Black"][red][size 3] Does anyone have any ideas on how I can rig my truck and boat to charge my boat batteries while I am driving to the water. I have heard that there is a rig to do that . Any ideas here?[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Arial Black"][#ff0000][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
You can use the same set up that is used with a truck mounted camper or a travel trailer. Mine was (when I ran a truck camper) set up with a hot wire lead (10ga) coming off my alternator and then to a Ford type solenoid switch mounted to the fire wall of my truck. I also have a 40 amp auto reset breaker in line between the alternator and the solenoid. You then need to find a wire that only has power when the ignition is running and conect it to the small side terminal of the solenoid. This would then activate the solenoid once the ignition is turned on and allow current to flow through the system. Another wire of large enough size (10ga) to handle the current flow would then need to go from the output side of the solenoid back to the battery. With a camper set up it goes to the plug connector that provides power to the campers brake, tail and running lights. With a boat you would need to take into consideration the problems with backing into water and you would need to disconnect the plug (which I always do when launching or loading). You would most likely need to relace your trailer plug ins with the larger type that allows for a hot wire.

This all can be done for a few dollars and some of your time but I find it much easier to use an on board cahrger and just plug in when I get home after each trip.

I hope this helps you out. Good luck.
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]Ewetah’s idea will work. But if I was to do it I would use a battery isolator. That way I run very little chance of blowing my alternator. A lot of people have this false idea that an alternator is a battery charger. It is a maintainer not to be used to charge a battery that has fallen more then a ¼ of full charge. They will but you run a serious chance of burning up your alternator. With a low battery you are making that alternator pump its guts out. Kind of like making your engine run at redline for a long time. Then again it would make good business sense for me to promote people to burn them up.[/size][/font]
[signature]
The ignition wire in most Ford, GM and others is a Yellow wire. This wire is only hot when the vehicle is running. It can be found in the wiring harness running down your steering column.

Some vehicles have an aux accessory spot available in the fuse block.[cool]
[signature]