Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stray Cat Confession
I can't believe I'm writing this but I just bought another float tube. I have another grandson who is wanting to go with me. The first grandson got the FC4. His little brother got the old Caddis donut. Looks like this one will get the ODC 420. (I have four grandsons so where will this ultimately lead? Will the two granddaughters also want a tube? Only time will tell.)

And what will I get? Since I decided not to replace my toon (choosing instead to use my motor boat when I'm not in the tube) I had some money saved up. So two days ago I bit the bullet and bought a Super Fat Cat. And I really like it! Here are some photos...

[inline sfc-1.jpg]

[inline sfc-2.jpg]

The things I noticed right away were:

1. It is larger than the ODC. Also seems a bit more stable.
2. It moves faster than the ODC did. My small size (175) makes it ride pretty high in the water. It is very responsive to kicks.
3. The air seat keeps my rear completely out of the water. It sits about 3 inches higher than the foam seated ODC.
4. The pockets are bigger.

I baptized it yesterday and initiated it with about 30 trout. No big ones as I was fishing a new lake.

On the maiden voyage I didn't have any of the back pain some others have observed. If I do I have a folding camp seat I'll press into service.

That color you see in the pic is the "overcast" shade.

z~
[signature]
Right on Zonker. We prefered the outcast also, now leaning toward the H3.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]In looking at the picture it is obvious that Outcast has listened to the legion of unhappy SFC owners who hated their low back rest. The one in the pic is much higher than the one on my "vintage" model. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]This is a pic I took yesterday, after a quick trip to Utah Lake for a "brain broom".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=15733;]
[#0000ff]I am sure you will have lots of fun times in your new Chubby Kitty. Hope you have plenty of "flotilla" trips with the recipients of your other models.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Nice fish, Pat. I've grown accustomed to seeing your tube draped with large catfish. It would look naked without them. Glad to see you're getting into them again.

The air seat backrest on the new SFC is right about 15 inches high. I measured it from the inside top of the horizontal seat to the top of the backrest. I was wondering how it compared to previous models. Out of curiosity, how high is the back on your SFC? The only other difference I spotted was velcro rod holders on the sides of the pockets. I don't think the older models had those.

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Top to bottom (inside measure) on my inflatable backrest is 13". The extra 2" would help. I actually raised the effective back support on mine about 5", with the PVC riser.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No outside velcro rod holders on the pocket, but I have them in to top front surface of each side and along the inside of the pockets.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for checking TD. Looks like they have altered the backrest height a little. Sounds like the velcro rod holders are identical. It seems that I remember a SFC without them. Either I got things mixed up or it was on an older model yet.

z~
[signature]
Hey Zonker,

So I take it you like the new Cat better than your old Cat which you didn't like as much as your ODC ?

Did your FC4 have a foam seat or inflatable one ? My FC4 has an inflatable seat and I (me being(as TubeDude put it) "a Skinney little ****") sit pretty high(as in elevated above it, not "spaced out" on it) in the water.
[signature]
And I don't even have enough sense to log in! That new cookie deleter program strikes again.

z~ (for real this time)
[signature]
Way to go Uncle Z. Perhaps when you hit your next surplus of $$ you might want to think about your nephew in SoCal. hee hee.[cool]
[signature]
[reply]
[left][left][/left][left][/left]z~[#ff0000](What's your excuse for not logging on...again?)[/#ff0000][/left] [right][/right] [right][/right] [/reply]

The Dude of the Tube strikes again!

[cool]I'm not even makin' excuses anymore. Just insanity. Plain and simple. I'm crazy. But kind of poetic, don't you think?
[signature]
Zonker, it could be worse. I went from a Caddis doughnut, to a SFC, to a 6' Bucks bag Alpine, To an 11 1/2 Cardiac Canton, to a 4' Venture Outdoors Echo, and now I want the Freestyle H3 and a Porta-Bote for the big waters with a 10 hrsp.
Oh ya, started with a 18 1/2' Rinker Ski boat, then a 14' Alumicraft (with casting deck and pedestal seats, plus steering console) then a 16' Monarch with same features as the Alumicraft. Sold the bigger boats cause I go where the fish are and the ol' man......well, I am not sure where he goes[Wink]
[signature]
Wow FG. I feel vindicated.

'Course there is a deeper background with me, too. Lots more things that float in my past. But I think I've done all the confessin' I'm gonna do here.

You say Alan doesn't know where to find the fish? Wonder what he has to say about that?[cool][cool][cool]

z~
[signature]
TubeN2,

[cool]There ain't no surplus money. No inheritance either. I spent it all on float tubes!

z~
[signature]