Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registering Pontoon Boat,
I called the DMV in Utah today and the lady told me I would have to pay 55 bucks plus another 17 bucks on top of that and then 55 bucks per year for the next three years. Has anybody registered theirs, and does this sound right, i think she may have thought I had a PONTOON boat not an inflatable boat.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Call somebody else. You pay tax the first year to register it, and then only about $11 each year after that. Our public servants are not always on top of things.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thanks for the info td. I really though she didn't know what she was talking about. I just have to ddecide wether to get the 30 or 36 pound thrust. Do you think the 36 pound thrust will draw less power on the lower settings than the 30? If I get a motor I may be interested in that battery of yours, I'll let you know. Thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You will do fine by spending less and getting the 30. You would only want the larger motor if you wanted to troll very fast or tow a water skier. Plenty of tooners get by very well with the 30. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]How long a motor lasts on a battery is subject to all of the factors you already know. The thrust of the motor, how high of speed you run it...for how long, and the total amp hours on the battery. Basic physics tells you that you will get a longer ride on the same battery with a 30, rather than a 36. If the 30 will be fast enough for what you want, then save a few bucks and go for it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
The DMV has not figured how to charge on Pontoons or tubes for that mater. It is like they make a law and then have no clue as to how to charge. Mine is $22. a year cause the receipt for my pontoon was $1400. To tired to try to explain to her that wasn't right, so, that is what I pay every year. The good news is my pontoon value this year is $1100.[cool] They go by base value now. Good luck, it seems to be more of a hassel the first year than it's worth.
30 is a good motor, my brother has the 36 and his battery doesn't seem to last any longer than mine. Plus with a pontoon it doesn't take much power. I don't notice him going any faster either, cause the props are the same size and I am sure it doesn't turn any different. I think it is more about drag that you would notice the difference (a large man, big pontoon, or boat kind of thing)
[signature]
Does anyone know how I would go about registering my pontoon without an original receipt?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I doubt that DMV keeps a list of toon models and suggested retail prices. Print out a page from an online supplier, including the price...or tear one out of a catalog. Then take your toon with you for proof. Maybe they will accept a picture, but probably not. They do inspections on motor vehicles all the time. A bit of fuss to get the ball rolling but easier than trying to deal with the beaurocracy and mindlessness of some of the people who work at DMV.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If all else fails, you could call DMV and see what they would accept as proof of value. As others have found, you may get a "varying" answer. If you get one you like, get the name of the person you talked to and be sure to either see them or use them as a reference when you go in to plunk down your money. Can't be too careful.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey man no worrys, you only have to register your pontoon boat if you put a motor on it, if you don't have a motor on it you'll be just fine. Its a great boat, thats what I just bought and I love it, you should get an anchor though, if you want to hold your position in the breeze.[Wink]
[signature]
Only if you put a motor on it. Even those inflat'able boats they sell with little motors must be licensed.
Take your boat, your fins, and your oars and have a good time. But don't forget a floatation devise (vest) or you could get a ticket.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good luck at Mantua. Let us know how you do. I love tubing that little lake, when I don't have to dodge too many watercraft.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably a little early for the best fishing but there have been a few bass and bluegills showing up.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Yes, if you get a pontoon and install a motor, you will have to register it. But, you really should have fins too. Unless you are going back and forth across the lake, fins help you maintain position while casting, once you get to where you wanna fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]While you're at it, why not join up and stay awhile. Fluent fishing and tubing spoken here.[/#0000ff]
[signature]