Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McTucker Ponds? Help
I want to take a friend who is disabled down to McTucker Ponds so he and I can do a little fishing together. Problem is that it has been several years since I have been there. Can anyone help me out with some directional aptitude?
[signature]
The McTucker Ponds are 3-4 miles SE of Springfield. There are some sportsmans access signs in the area. If you are on the River Rd you should be able to find them.
[signature]
Brain do the ponds have a lot of bass or mostly just trout?

Fight4not
[signature]
I don't fish the McTucker Ponds more than a few short trips every year. So I'm no expert on them but will tell you what I know.
The two far east ponds are planted with the most trout. The other ponds are planted occasionally with trout. Over about a 10 year span, I've caught trout out of just about every pond.
Supposively every other pond besides the two far east ponds were planted with bass and bluegills after they were treated with rotenone a few years ago. IMO they aren't the best bass/bluegill fisheries but you can catch a few out of there.
Catfish have also been planted into the every pond but the two far east ponds.
There is new pond that has been dug out in the last year. It is the one on the far West end. At this point I think it isn't worth fishing.
[signature]
BrianID,

Hey thanks for the directions. I guess I am just getting older, the mind was a little foggy! We made the trip down today. Fished the two ponds furthest east the most, and, spot fished a few of the others for a few casts. Saw lots of smaller bluegill and bass and a few trout splashing the surface, but, fishing was very slow. Best way to fish the ponds appears to be with a float tube or other small boat of some type. Shore fishing seems to limit the opportunity to get too some of the fish.
The McTucker Ponds aren't on very many maps so they can be hard to find. Sounds like you had a similar experience as I did a couple weeks ago. Just like any other "put-and-take" fishery the trout fishing can be good if they were planted recently and rather slow if they haven't.
The bank access is usually a little better. The ponds are about 3 feet higher than they typically are. The Snake and American Falls Reservoir have raised the water table.
[signature]
BrianID,

Thanks for your willingness to share fishing information with me. I might try to make it down for a few hours on another day before it gets too warm. I would like to see my friend catch some fish!