Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aqua View
I was showing my wife the underwater video's on a website trying to drop the hint of buying one and she asked a very good question. whats the difference between that and a fish finder?? I was dumb founded and she knew it. So whats the advantages of Aqua view?? Besides being able to see the fish not like my bait[Wink]
[signature]
An AquaVu is a fun addition after you have the fishfinder. Fishfinders are in the "need" category and AquaVu's are in the "want" category. Teroy, just in case you are wondering, I'm not just saying this because you are puchasing my fishfinder. If the water is clear enough, they can provide a small field of vision down into the water, primarily while still fishing, or while scouting.
[signature]
[Wink] [#800000][size 2]Aqua views combines watching tv and fishing. It doesn't get any better than that.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2][/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Aqua views, SHows you what is under the water-ie fish, specfic structure, and stuff like that.[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]A fishfinder, gives you temp, depth(numerically), and speed. Not all fish show up on the "finder". [/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]Both have limitations that the angler has to figure out by experience or luck, too bad it is hard to fish and watch tv at the same time. I wonder if a lazyboy will float...[/size][/#800000]

[#800000][size 2]tomegun/( tnt.[/size][/#800000]
[signature]
[cool]This lazy boy floats...in a kick boat. Sorry...couldn't resist the setup.

Kent makes several good points. Fish finders (Sonar) operate on an entirely different principal. The emit sound waves, which return as signals to the unit, which translates them into varous marks on a screen. It can only record retrieved bounce-back and try to decipher whether the objects encountered are fish or foe. The more money you spend, and the higher the power (sensitivity), the more accurate the readings...in most cases.

Like most folks new to using sonar, I took a while to get used to what I was seeing and learning to present my lures accordingly. And, like many who use the "cartoon fishy" readouts, I have dropped my lures into a "school of fish" that turned out to be a treetop. Fish finders sometimes lie.

The major value of a sonar, for a lot of fishermen, is not so much finding fish as locating likely contours and structure. In shallower water, it is not uncommon for fish to move out of the cone area as you go over them with a boat...thus not showing up on the screen. Not so much in deeper water. But, if you find the right structure at the right depth...with bait in the area...you can confidently shut down the motor and start working it. If the fish don't show up in a reasonable period of time, you leave.

The underwater cameras show realtime actual images of the structure and the fish...if any. As has been stated, they are limited by the visibility and the ability of the operator to both point the camera in the right direction and to decipher the often hazy images on the screen. It ain't like tropical salt water reef visibility in most lakes. And you won't see any bikinis swimming by.

An underwater camera is especially useful for providing "The Rest of The Story". You would get a headache or go blind if you use it for a search tool alone. That's what sonar is for...to cover large areas and eliminate water without any redeeming features...or fishies. Once you find fish, you start working them over. If you guess right, you catch them and you don't need to wonder what they are. But, if you don't get bit, after trying all the tried and true stuff, you might want to send the camera down to make a species identification and to see what their activity level is.

Walleyes are a great reason to own an underwater camera. You can find what you think might be a school of 'eyes, and fail to interest them, only to find that you are jigging a school of carp when you send down the camera. But, what is worse is that you often find that there are walleyes down there...and the zippers on their mouths are in a closed position. That can make a growed up walleye nut jump off his tackle box.

In short, both pieces of equipment have a definite place in the arsenal of serious anglers. But, if you have to make a choice (between toys or domestic tranquility) buy the best sonar you can afford first. Then, when you get an unexpected "windfall" the spouse doesn't know about, go buy that new "TV set". However, you might wanna arrange for one of your unmarried buddies to keep it at his place until you can come up with a good excuse for how you came to own it.
[signature]
Hey Teroy, like Tube Dude said, the aqua-vu is a good tool for Walleye fishing. It doesn't have much use for Trout or Wipers. Or any other fish that spend most of their time up off bottom. Ice fishing is a whole different game. You can put the camera down and see the reaction of the fish at the depth you're fishing. If you jiggle and the fish takes off, don't jiggle.
A couple weeks ago I checked out a spot with an aqua-vu at Utah Lake. Nothing was showing up on sonar. I went twenty feet with the aqua-vu and saw five Walleye. Tucked right down between the rocks where sonar couldn't see them.
It gave me the confidence to stay there and fish. No, I didn't catch one. But my friend did.
Underwater cameras have taught me more about my sonar than anything. Especially when to fish, and when to keep searching. Trying to play with the camera, fish, and steer the boat is too much for one guy, but you can learn alot if you spend some time with it.

WalleyeBob
[signature]