Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henerys
I have a grandson and friends that are going to fish Henrys this weekend for the first time. Does anyone have any suggestions. I think they will be trolling, and maybe a little fly. Were and what to use would be helpful.
Lou Parker[Smile]
[signature]
Bsflies has made many posts about flies and other information about Henry's. If you haven't already, take some time to read his old posts.

Henry's is different than most places people troll. The deepest parts of the lake aren't much deeper than 20 feet deep. Weeds make trolling at Henry's much more work than trolling other places.

At Henry's, I've caught fishing trolling about every lure I've tried. Spoons, pop gear, crankbaits, rapalas, flat fish, various flies, and spinners will all catch fish will trolling. The last couple years I've mostly trolled with spinners and crankbaits. Panther Martins, Mepps and Blue Fox are all great spinners. I've found that smaller and medium sized crankbaits work better than the large (5" long or larger) crankbaits. Fishing with jigs can also be effective.

I don't think the paticular lure is near as important as keeping the lure weed free, fishing the correct speed for that lure and fishing the right place. While trolling Henry's, I usually pull weeds off my lures every 5-10 minutes.
[signature]
I fished Henry's yesterday morning from my kick boat. The skies were gray to black, but tried anyway. Was out there for about an hour and the storm moved in. I can take the two foot waves, even the down pour but the sky was not only making noise, it was lighting up. I do fly fish only. Not a good place to be with any rod in those conditions. Started to head in and hooked a monster. wrestled with it and the wind while trying to get back to shore, not easy. Finally netted a beauty 27" cutt. Waves and wind were getting real bad now and my camera is not waterproof, so no pictures this time, but a new one for the books, for me anyway. Got to shore and wrestled trying to get the boats on the trailer, did it, not safe and sound in Idaho Falls till Sat.
[signature]
How did you do Saturday? You didn't happen to be the one at the state park that come off with the 17 pounder? I don't know how accurate that weight is. But if it was, My grandson and friend were part of the crowd.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black]We left Wed. morning right in the middle of the storm. Stayed at Idaho Falls the rest of the week. The fish I caught was 27" long 15" girth. Not sure of weight but, I know there is some kind of scale with the length and girth. Maybe someone will jump in with that info.[/black][/font]
[signature]
flygoddess,
Based on fish I've measured/weighed from Henry's, that fish would have been 8-10lbs. I find the formulas for weight based on length/girth aren't very accurate. Based on measurements and weights that I've taken on fish, these formulas are often 1 or 2lbs off. With that said the girth and length will at least give you a good ball park estimate.
bsflies might have a good formula for Henry's Lake fish.
[signature]
Thanks Brian, all I know is I had a heck of a time horsing him into the net, but the wind was pulling me real good also. I have a long handle net, I got him in the net and used my knee as leverage to get it up to my lap. (I don't use a stripping apron in fact I use any kind of apron[sly]).
[signature]
Hey Joni, Did yu get a chance to fish the SF? I am less than 2 weeks and I will be floating it. Did you hear anything on the salmonfly location on the river? Hope you had a good time.
[signature]
I didn't fish the river, they are raging last I heard. Last Chance didn't look bad, but, I heard that people say they were catching a lot of small ones with very few large ones. The weather threw off the normal Stonefly hatch, fished a river outside of Ririe (not Heise) and there was a stone fly hatch (bought an inch to and inch and a half long).
Had an okay time, started off with the ol' man sick (cold) ending with me catching it.[Tongue]
[signature]
That's pretty cool. Seems real accurate. Thanks.
[signature]