Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Virginia?
Is anyone on this board in VA? I'm on my way there in Jan for a permanant move. Am I going to get any use out of my tube there? Would I get any use out of a pontoon there? Snakes or gators to worry about?
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Been there but haven't done that. I can tell you that there is a bunch of water there though...streams, rivers, lakes, ponds and plenty of inland protected salt and brackish water tubing and tooning. Fishing paradise.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Not much to worry about as far as gators, but in some areas you will need to watch for snakes...cottonmouths and copperheads. Tube softly and carry a big stick...or pistol with snake loads.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some of the most exciting tubing and tooning will be in the Chesapeak Bay areas. Large runs of striped bass and other species in areas that are easily accessible to floatation fishing. Fishing salt water bays is just like fishing lakes. Find a good place to launch, watch the weather and the tides and go for it. In most places you do not have to go far from a launch spot to catch fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]What part of Virginia will you be settling in? You should try some search engine stuff on "Fishing Virginia"...or the area you will be going. As you get closer, we can try to get you some sources for fishing reports for your area. Then, once you touch down, get out and chat up the local tackle shops and fishing related businesses. I think you will be drooling when you see all the potential.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
I'm in MD, and TD is right about there being plenty of water to fish. Where in VA? I usually tube the Upper Potomac and would be more than willing to take you out up there. [/reply]

Around Manassas, most likely. I'll have to take you up on that.
How would a kickboat ('toon) do around there? Lots of water mocassins?
[signature]
RE: snakeshot
I'm a very confident marksman, but the idea of lighting off snakeshot from a tube or toon with a snake in close proximity to the inflated bladder makes me queasy. Nothing like swimming home.
I'm going to start into the wife about the toon I found. Seems to be a TU model, has everything I need, and under $300. Yeehaa
[signature]
I fully agree when it comes to snakeshot. I'm a very confident marksman, but would rather carry a long stick for dealing with snakes. I'd rather not pop a pontoon.
Watersnakes are usually mistaken for cottonmouths, anyways.
Time to start saving my pennies for a toon.
[signature]
I have a Cold Steel Sjambok that I carry sometimes, but thats as much for what I might encounter on shore as in the water. [url "http://www.coldsteel.com/95sseries.html"]http://www.coldsteel.com/95sseries.html[/url]
[signature]