Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
mantua today
I woke up at 5:30 this morning, and got everything ready to take Lil' Lunkerhunter to Mantua for some gills. We left the house at about 7 and headed up.
Arrived to a small chop but nice temps and tons of fish right off the bank. Fired up the motor and went to the east side just north of the point. Started fishing about 10' of water with marginal success and worked our way in shallow. The closer we got to the bank, the bigger and more numerous the fish got. My little boy caught 20 or so before we decided to move to the river inlet for a possible rainbow but none to be found.
We fished about 80 yards from the trees on a flat and he started nailing the huge gills! We caught 2 perch, one almost edible and the other the size of the hook. The gills were about the size of your hand and a little bigger.
After being scared off by a skier [mad][mad], we moved over by the docks and only caught 2 small gills before the w*** started good. Left at around 10:30 and the little one couldn't be happier.
We used ratso jig heads with a tiny piece of worm for everything. All fish were released unharmed and free to make another little tyke Smile ear to ear.[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
LH2,
Sounds to me like you had a great time the little guy. I haven't had a chance to make it up to Mantua this year since the ice off. I have heard similar reports to your post about the amount and size of the fish. I am going to have to get my kids out and about and punish a few fish for ourselves.[Wink]
Thanks for the post.
[signature]
It is definately worth the trip. There are tons of fish and they are easy to catch for little kids.[Smile]
[signature]
Sounds like a lot of fun for both you and Jr. It's nice to be able to get the kids into some fish!
[signature]
[cool]Always enjoy reading reports about kids catching fish. I bet half the fun was just being out there with his pops. Did he out fish ya? Can't wait til my little girl gets old enough.
[signature]
I only actually casted a pole for myself maybe 5 times. It was all about him today. I never rigged up my poles, only his.
[signature]
Very cool!

Took my 10 yr old out there Saturday morning and slayed them. He always outfishes me, and this time was no exception. Between the two of us, I bet we banked 25 'gills in 2 hrs. The little guy caught the biggest ones, I've never seen 'gills that big. We didn't catch any bass, and only caught a few perch.

I had the same thoughts with my two boys this morning, although it was a bit later. We got there at Mantua around 9:30 a.m. and couldn't believe the wind! We tried to fish off the bank for a bit, but gave up fast.

I'll be taking them again either tomorrow or Wednesday.

It's all about the kids having fun! : )

Derek
[signature]
Hmm,maybe this will develope into the next Pelican[Smile]
[signature]
The way it is going, i wouldn't be surprised.[cool]
[signature]
[cool]Nice report, dude! That really is a fun and special little lake. It's quickly becoming one of my favorites, and I haven't even caught any of the big hawg bass in there yet, but I will. I'm gonna have to try that east side next time and see if I can get some of the bigger gils. I only caught a few of the larger ones Saturday on the West side. Lots of small ones and small perch. Sure was a blast though. I love that little pond!! I'm thinking about taking my little two year old daughter there in a month or two for her first fishing trip ever. I'm debating about wether she's still too young though to really enjoy or get into it...[crazy]
[signature]
My little boy caught his first fish on my fly rod at Steeds Pond in Clearfield when he was 13 months old! It is never too early to try. She may be frightened at first of the fish, but she will get used to it and hopefully have fun from there on. I can't get a pole out of my boys hand for anything now. He has been bread for this stuff![cool]
[signature]
[cool]Cool! I think I will take her then. Probably some evening when the temps cool down just a bit for a couple of hours. Maybe I'll try it with my son too when he's about 13 months old next summer!
[signature]