Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing is always good
[cool][#0000ff]One of my favorite expressions has always been "Fishing is always good, even when the catching isn't". As we have discussed on this forum before, tubing and tooning provide the utmost way to observe and enjoy all of the sensory pleasures of each fishing trip, even if the catching part is not always outstanding.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I took a brief (not my choice) trip to Willard Bay yesterday morning, to try to get to play with some more wipers. It turned into one of those days that were visually enriching, even if the fishing aspects took a left turn.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I launched just before 6 AM, as the sky was getting that nice pink/orange glow in the east, on the other side of the mountains. The water was calm and I had reason to hope, even though we had been having the "monsoon" storms for the past few days. They were mostly an afternoon thing anyway. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The air temp was 72 and the water a warmer 75. Perfect for tubing "wet", with no waders. Also perfect was the fact that the customary "welcoming committee" of the swarms of midges and mosquitoes were almost completely absent. Wonderful. I did spray down with repellent, just in case, but I did not have to wear my headnet to get past the shoreline swarms.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As I kicked my way out into deeper water, I took time to shoot a few pics of the developing daybreak. Mama Nature always seems to reward those who get up early enough to enjoy this show. One little extra was the flight of cranes that flew lazily overhead on their way to the feeding grounds at the Bear River Bird Refuge.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before I even made my first cast, there were light breezes rippling the water. They came in first from the south, then changed to the east and then the north. After fishing for awhile, they turned around and started in again from the south. I looked south and saw a bank of ominous clouds and hoped they would not come in my direction. Didn't work. They came after me.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The fickle and elusive wipers did not seem to be hanging out on my part of the lake yesterday. Boaters in other areas were rewarded with good catches from the "boils" that developed when feeding wipers cornered large schools of shad. I did not get even one whack on the different lures I kept sailing out into the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On my second rod (I have a two pole permit) I was dragging a minnow. The small channel cats kept me busy unhooking them, rebaiting and casting back out. I probably caught 12 or 15 before the wind picked up, keeping only two or three that had been hooked deeply and had to have the hook cut off.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As the south wind started building, I decided to keep a few more cats, to take home my limit of 8. I got them quickly, by drifting along with the increasing wind and dragging my bait on the way back to my launch site.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The good news was that I had been fishing upwind from where I needed to get out, so I did not have to fight the wind on the way back. That is unusual. I often have to exert myself just to get back to home base. Yesterday I was able to "hang ten" and surf right onto the shoreline where I had launched. Lots of flowers still blooming to welcome me back.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I had my fish filleted at the cleaning station and was back home in Salt Lake by noon. An abbreviated trip, but a good one by most standards.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Right on! Getting on the water at daybreak is a special thing. Slight, warm breeze. Scattered clouds. Solitude. The hope of a good day. Could it get any better? Yeah, I guess if you really catch a lot of fish it could get better, but that isn't always an essential.

Besides, TD, you always manage to catch a few catfish, regardless of whether or not the other species cooperate.

We fishermen and fisherwomen are blessed. Great pics.

z~
[signature]
WTG ON THE KITTY CATS TD. LOOKS LIKE IT GOT BUMPY OUT THERE, FROM THE PICS IT'S LOOKS AS ROUGH AS IN A BIG SALTWATER BAY.

AT
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thanks, bro. I have no false illusions about the size of those ripples. They are nothing compared to some I have ridden in the salty. I have tubed along much of the west coast and down into Baja on both sides. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Probably some of the wildest surf action I ever had was on the "calm" Sonoran coast of the Sea of Cortez. It is usually like a lake there, with no surf at all. But, on one trip I was caught out in a sudden blow that had me cresting on some pretty high rollers. I really did have to surf in and was lucky to time it so that I lit running backwards, holding my tube up, and didn't go butt over teakettle as I have seen others do. That can break rods and put grit in your shorts.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My big problem with the wind is simply fishing control. I fish light stuff on light rods and the wind pushes me out of position and makes it impossible to feel what is going on at the business end of my tackle. The kicking I can handle...if I can fish in it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Lots of catfish in Utah. They are almost always my "fall back" fish. Lots of fun to catch and great eating. In some lakes they are the primary targets and can reach over 20 pounds. I prefer the bitty kitties for the table though.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[laugh] GREAT pictures! That is something that I am going to have to start doing.

Like you, I have found that tubing is a great way to nature watch. Critters don't pay much atention to you when you are in a tube.
[signature]
[size 1]>>is something that I am going to have to start doing. [/size]

I'm enjoying fishing a lot more since I added a digital camera to my standard tackle. Adds another challenge to the day while you're on the water, gives you something to look forward to when you get home (viewing the day's pics to see how they came out) and the opportunity to reflect back on past trips to relive them again. Also give you some extra bragging potential around people on boards like this who understand your obsession.

z~
[signature]
Fishing today was good for me but not for my buddy on his first day with his new tube. He didn't get the flippers yet so thought he could get around..... He didn't get around like I can with the vintage FishMaster tube. I could put my arms in the water and "paddle" around with my legs straight out. Oh I brought those paddle fins (for fun) and tested it and it's ok but kinda slower than I could do with my arms. I told my buddy we will have to see about getting those flippers and do this fishing again.
He couldn't paddle with his arms as that tube is bigger than the FishMaster.
Funny thing is I noticed that I put on the fins "backwards" not backwards but I put the fins inside instead of outside of my legs. Found it worked better inside than outside.... they didn't hit each other on the swings. They seems to open easier than being on the outside....
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You need to join Masochists Anonymous. Why do you want to beat yourself up and sacrifice your enjoyment? That's like getting out and pushing your car everywhere just to save gas.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Get a good pair of fins and get with the program.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hey! I like those side flipper critters! The secret to using them is to learn to hesitate at the top of your stroke for just a second. This allows the flipper time to assume the position before you do the down stroke. I pretty much put no more effort into it that I would if I was sitting swinging my legs in a swing. The weight of my relaxed leg provides all the pressure that the downward stroke needs. These things are like the trolling motor on the bow of my bass boat and shouldn't be disparaged because they won't bring it up on full plane. There are lots of advantages to moving slow and forward. Also they are a lot more maneuverable than fins just as a trolling motor will turn a boat in a lot smaller radius than the outboard motor. Now I will admit that they are not for long trips and now that I have some better quality dive fins, they will be my primary form of travel. The little flippers will still be what I go to though if I am fishing a shore or weed line because position is everything when you are trying to hit pockets and such in weeds. They are a pain in the butt to get used to but once you get the feel of them they are a lot better than the flippers for fine, slow stalking.

There is ONE little thing that I might mention though. I fish in a lot of gator and snake infested holes and don’t like to turn my back if I need to beat a hasty retreat out of a hole that I have poked my nose into. For EMERGENCY reverse I carry a couple of big ole spatulas clipped to the side of my tube. I used to use a pair of kids cheap flippers but the spatulas look cooler. Given the proper motivation I can make that tube almost jump up one full plane in reverse mode without ever having to turn my back on the critter!
[signature]
[Wink]Sorry ... I question whether you should be let out on the water if you are fishing in holes with gaters and snakes!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Whenever I hear TubeBabe hit "high C", I don't ask "What is it"...I ask "Where is it". She just doesn't cater to gators or slither-goodies. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Had a friendly little blue racer try to join her in her tube on the water once. She almost launched like a Polaris missile. Then she beat the water to a froth in between her and the little snake. Poor thing must have had a heck of a tale to tell the other little snakes about the hostile "island" it found out in the water.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]
z~
[signature]
LOL, Tube Babe, I was raised almost literaly in the swamps of south east Texas. If you are going to swim, fish or boat, you are going to do it in water that has gators and snakes. I am 53 and have never known personally of ANYONE that has been bothered in the water by either type of critter. I used to fish and frog gig in the swamps at night while wading waist deep with all manner of natures swampy beauties and they always go the other way if you let them. ALSO a healthy population of gators and snakes generally reflects a healthy ecology and that means fish and also not a lot of people around bothering the fish. Gators especially are not naturaly sociable critters and if there are many people around (That have enough common sense NOT to feed them.)they will go else where. I love to see a couple of gators sunning in a quiet little swamp hole. It will almost always be full of fish too.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I have tubed in southern Louisiana, where there is plenty of "wildlife". I have a healthy respect for the dangerous stuff, but if one uses good sense and remains alert the danger is minimal. It is probably more dangerous to back out of your driveway and get on the street in your car than to tube in even the snakiest swamps.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Down in Arizona we did not have gators and moccasins, but we had lots of cactus spines and rattlesnakes. Many a tube repair from accidently bumping a cactus, or setting it down on washed up spines on the shoreline. Also some interesting moments when rattlers decided to swim across the water (especially on narrow coves) and would head in our direction, looking for a convenient place to rest on the crossing. Never knew TubeBabe could throw a rooster tail with just her fins.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[size 3]I can get around with the fishmaster and I'm going to get those flippers. Those fins are just fine as I didn't need to get far to fish as they are all over. Before I do I would like to know which one and who sells those. I would be using gym shoes. Son has his on the gym shoes and loves it, moves as far as he wants.[/size]
[size 3]Yesterday I was at my sister's for dinner with our brother and talked about the tubing. She says still has the flippers from our dad and hers when they were snorkeling back then on their travels. Hasn't used them in years (more like 30) and she says I could take them. It was dark out and we went in the barn, lights weren't working or couldn't find the switch or we didn't want to put our hands in the webs everywhere..... she found the feel of the handle and handed it to me and I felt that I had shushed a fat big spider yuck! Took it to my truck and stopped and thought for a sec and put them in the back of the pickup truck. I didn't want any more "bugs" crawling up on me inside of my truck! She laughed and knew what I was thinking![/size]
[size 3]This morning I got up and took a look at them sure enough there were lots of old spider webs all over it and I noticed it being "dried out" from being in the barn all those years of heat and freezing seasons. Going to toss it out and son says not yet let use them and for fun and see.[/size]
[signature]
Very nice pics TD.

I had a nice early morning of fishing yesterday myself. I was on Browns Lake by 5:45. It was just me, the Canada Geese and the early morning mist rising off the lake and the glow of the early morning sun glowing in the east.

2nd cast with a black buzzbait w/ trailer hook landed a nice 15"er. Hooker her terribly with both hooks. It took me a good 3 or 4 minutes to get them free...then just as I am reaching around for my basket with my other hand she goes into an epilectic fit and got away.

I say OK fine and move on after a cpl of choice words...lol...a couple more casts and we have another on...too small only about 10"s....another on the buzzbait but right on the line as a keeper so I put her/him back...

Sun is up now and its about 8 am and the topwater bite has slowed and they are mostly just flashing the buzzbait. I moved to deeper water and started with a C rig and crankbait. I managed a keeper on the crankbait. Tried a weightless senko and tiki stick after that. I had bites on both but couldnt hook'em. Its the 2nd time I've tried the worms weightless and its gonna take some practice to sense when to set the hook, seems I'm either too early or late...practice I guess.

Sorry no pics, I did have the camera with me but didn't even get it out. Now that I see your post it reminded me just how nice it was in the early morning. Will have to def get some "nature" type pics as well as just plain ole fish pics in the future.

All in all landed 4 Bass, 1 keeper...well 2 but the fish gods wanted her in the lake I suppose and several hits that didn't hook up.

Still a good day fishing...I had the whole lake to myself until 8 and then only one other guy came with a small jon boat...

Bassguy64
[cool][#0000ff]Great reports guys. Don'tcha just love the solitary but effective opportunities of tubing?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]By the way, I also prefer to fish light stuff, targeting the smaller fish, but enjoying the occasional tussle with bigger ones. Every large fish landed on light tackle is a bonus. Fishing for large fish with heavy tackle pretty much eliminates a lot of that kind of fun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Walking Tall has always been one of my favorite books/movies. Loved Joe Don Baker in the leading role.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I once caught a 3 ft. gator while living in Nicaragua as a missionary for my church. On a day off, I hiked down to a lake that was the filled crater of an extinct volcano to fish. There was a small "zoo" near the shore, including a round tank with several turtles and small gators in it.

I caught a frog on the lakeshore nearby and then hooked it on as 'bait' and tossed it into the tank. A small gator slid down underwater, with only its nose above water, and slowly glided over to the struggling frog.

Then, it erupted out of the water, gulping down the frog in one bite, and I pulled hard with my handline to set the hook. I fought that thing for about 15 feet, almost getting it to shore before its sharp teeth cut the line.

Don't exactly know what I would have done with it had I brought it up to me (besides attempt a picture without getting bit). lol

Fun fun fun.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]At least you hooked that gatorette more or less on purpose. Down on Lake Okeechobee, in Florida, guys fish for the big bass with large shiners swimming below a bobber. It is not uncommon for them to haul back to set the hook, when the bobber goes down, and to be hooked up to six foot gator instead of a 6 pound bass. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Those gators in the southeast will also chase a lure, especially topwater. Kinda like teasing a cat with a string. Only thing is that a housecat won't bite your arm off when you pet it.[/#0000ff]
[signature]