Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Hot to Fish
Boy! Summer is upon us. The heat wave the rest of the country has been getting finally hit the Northwest. We had a high of 105 degrees on my front porch today. It's 10:15 P.M. and still 85 degrees. We aren't used to this kind of heat in Oregon. No (or limited) air conditioning. And it isn't cooling down much at night. The steelheaders are slowing down across the street. This kind of heat usually puts the metalheads into dormancy. I think its putting me into dormancy!

Whine. Pant, pant, pant, pant. Whine.

Anybody feel sorry for me?

z~
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I synthesize with ya Z. I lived and fished in Arizona for quite a few years, and I still never enjoyed fishing in the heat. Sometimes that was my only option, but even if the fishing was good the esthetics were not. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I seldom fished the local lakes around Phoenix during the summer. After about mid June the surface water temps were over 90 and the fish all went deep. Sometimes there was some night fishing available, but even then the nighttime air temps seldom dropped below 90. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Our routine, if we fished at all, was to hit the water at daybreak and fish until we couldn't stand any more fun (heat). That was often only until about 10 AM. By then the sun was broiling us, the air temp was over a hundred and the perspiration was running off us, even though we fished without waders. FUN, FUN, FUN.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]105 is kinda toasty for Oregon. It was 104 here in Salt Lake yesterday too. It has been over 100 here for over a week. Kinda wondering if I stopped too soon on my trip north from Arizona.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have one more "lowland" fishing trip planned next week, with a couple of other catfish chasers on Utah Lake. Then, I think I will be going a little higher in elevation. Right now we are planning to hit a couple of lakes for trout next Friday. Huntington lake has a lot of nice tiger trout and Electric Lake will be the afternoon part of the trip. It has cutts and rainbows, but also is loaded with redside shiners. I wanna load up on them for some future bait use.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Just in case you have never seen a tiger, here is a pic of one I caught through the ice last winter. They are purty. Hope to add some new pics to my collection.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hang in there old friend. We both know that this too shall pass...and the cooler temps of autumn will make it better for both fish and fisherman. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]God, please give me patience...AND I WANT IT RIGHT NOW!!!!!![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Yes, they are pretty. They are sterile hybrids...between browns and brookies...but they do color up and go through a "false spawn" in the fall. I am planning a special trip back during that time this year to get some pics of them in "dating dress".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Utah is one of the few states that has introduced tiger trout into several waters. They use them as a "controlled" (no spawning) species to not only provide a unique angling opportunity but to help control rough fish populations. They really do eat a lot of minnows so they help reduce the overabundance of chubs and shiners in some waters where those smaller species are a problem.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
One problem with trying to catch fish in this heat is not scaring them while I'm doing the back stroke on the same water trying to cool down, and that belly flop....well forget it![Wink]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]T.M.I.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Belly flop? Is that a failed roll cast?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Could be, hard to cast while sitting in the middle of a river or lake. Fanny pack just doesn't work with that bikini either LOL.
Can you say HOT! Only thing missing is the fish coming out of the water lightly breaded and a little lemon hanging out of their mouth.[cool]
[signature]
Sissies!
[Tongue]
Some of my best fishing in Yuma, AZ was in the summer. Of course, it was usually over 90 every day by like, April. The bass spawned early down there. I first started tubin' down there, and took a 12lb3oz bass from my tube, as well as innumerable bass, crappie, and 'gills. Summer still found me in the water once or twice a week, but often I was kicking off before sunup, and off the water by noon. There were alot of backwaters off the Colorado that were fun to fish.
The uniform of the day was often swim trunks, but eventually I found I was able to stay more comfortable in a pair of lycra cyling shorts, as they didn't chafe.
[Image: Jason_bass_Yuma_1995.jpg]
[Image: Big_bass.jpg]
[Image: JasonwithCarp.jpg]
Of course, I was young, so fishing was a priority over comfort.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Spent a few toasty times around Yuma my own self...Mittry, Martinez, Fortuna Pond and of course all the little backwaters (and sandy roads). There really are some bodacious bass down there. Also some awesome flatheads. They are really something.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In addition to running over there from Southern California many years ago, when I lived there, I also made the trip from Tucson and Phoenix a lot while my retired parents lived in Yuma (during the winters). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is definitely tuber country. Did you ever take your tube south, to the Sea of Cortez? Lots of good tubing both out of San Felipe and Puerto Penasco on the other side of the gulf.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
Can you say HOT! Only thing missing is the fish coming out of the water lightly breaded and a little lemon hanging out of their mouth.[cool] [/reply]

Great one-liner FG.

z~
[signature]
Nice bass, JJ.

Sissies? Sissies you say? Yup.

z~
[signature]
Oops, I forgot to login.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]That's okay. Failure to log in is known on this board as the "Z factor". Embarassing, but not terminal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Sounds like you made good use of the waters in the Yuma area. Did you ever play with the tilapia much? Lots of them in the lower Gila and some other spots. Problem with the fish from the Gila is that they might glow in the dark. Lots of chemical pollution. They actually shut down the pool below Painted Rocks Dam, up by Gila Bend, because of the high levels of "bad stuff".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]That's okay. Failure to log in is known on this board as the "Z factor". Embarassing, but not terminal.[/#0000ff] [/reply]

As the Great One once said, "I resemble that remark."

Now, let me check my cookies before I hit "send."

z~
[signature]
I never caught alot of Tilapia, except for the odd one when I was fishing bluegill with a worm and bobber. They are great forage fish, and I'd say 80%ish of the bass or catfish that I opened had tilapia in them. It made targeting bass much easier, color selection for worms and crankbaits just needed some dark blues or purples.
I ate from the Gila a few times....might explain the third nipple.
Some of the canals down there held amazing fish, too. One of my favorite spots was a large canal about the size of a big Utah river. It ran clear and cold and fast. It had a twin-culvert where the water came underneath a very large hill. One side had caved in, the other ran strong. We'd sit and pitch live shiners up into the caved in side, and hang on. Big Angry bass and cats in there! Once, sitting on the culvert working a live shiner, I looked down to see a carp just inches from my feet...she was about 4' long and probably an easy 80lbs!
Obviously, my Yuma time was pre-children. I fished all year round, as much as twice a week down there.
[signature]
Don't feel bad Uncle Z. We are getting some tube busting weather down in SoCal. We continue to register 110 to 122 on most of the days.

Today was a bit cooler. It actually only made it to 108. It feels like I'm in AZ with my Pops.

I hope I logged in!![cool]
[signature]
[reply]
It actually only made it to 108. It feels like I'm in AZ with my Pops. [/reply]

[cool]Is he that hot?

(snicker, snicker)

z~
[signature]