Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
**** Help in the Rexburg area ****
So I am an avid fisherman of all sorts. I currently am living in Utah, but am mostly from Canada and Washington State. Well I am headed to Rexburg the weekend of August 4th, and will be taking out my brother and sister-in-laws out fishing. I LOVE to fish, and would do so daily if I could. If any of you understand this situation, my in-laws respect my love for fishing, but think I'm a little on the extreme side, as they can't see what's so fun about fishing. They've never really caught anything before. So they suggested that I come up and take them fishing to see what it's all about. Well I would LOVE to hit up the South Fork or the Henry's Fork with my fly rod, but I'm not about to teach these beginners to enjoy fishing, while on a big river with a fly rod. They need something simpler, that will produce results. I have an inflatable canoe and that's it.

It is crucial that this fishing trip be successful. Mainly to show my in-laws the joys of fishing, so that hopefully we can plan more vacations with them that are close to water. =)

I was planning on going to Henry's Lake, but have read some threads here that say the fishing is slow. Is this true???

Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could take them fishing in the Rexburg area? The most important aspect of a beginner is that they catch fish. They don't have to be all that big, just that they catch them. I would like to get them into some trout, but ANY game fish is fine, as long as we can catch them.

What do you recommend? We are willing to drive anywhwere within about an hour radius of Rexburg.

Please help a fellow fisherman brotha out in this critical situation.

Maybe a recommended lake/river, where you fish it, and what you are catching them on. I don't plan on fishing one bit, just being the guide of them. All fish will be released, it's my policy, so don't think your info will take fish out of your favorite holes.

If it's easier, email me at: [url "mailto:mikemcinelly@Hotmail.com"]mikemcinelly@Hotmail.com[/url]

Thanks a ton!!!
[signature]
Evening Canadian,

Sounds like you have a plan! Thought out and considerate of someone who wants to share the fishing experience with newbies! South Fork or Henrys Fork or Henrys Lake are good fisheries for the more experienced angler. However, in your situation, I have often turned to Birch Creek an hour or so from Rexburg. Beautiful little stream in great shape for some dry fly fishing if your friends are going to try fly fishing. Small stream, wading is not necessary, short casts, planted Rainbows and some wild Brookies make it a fun place for family activity. If there so inclined they can bounce a worm also for some success. When I have fly fished the stream with dries, I ususally just used a Parachute Adams in a size #14 or #16. These fish aren't too picky, just fun. Not any big fish in the stream, but, lots of willing 6 - 12 inch fish. I like the area around Lone Pine and also up above the Kauffman campground just above Lone Pine. Just a suggestion for you, hope you have a good time. Let us know here how it goes!
[signature]
The water on Birch Creek around the Kaufmann Campground area is pretty wide open and back casts generally would not be a problem. A problem more than likely would be the trees that line this small stream on the side away from the parking area. Remember, it is a small stream and really doesn't require much casting skill. Just get your fly on the water, not in the trees and mend the line a little and you will be into some fish. Our area has had some very warm weather over the past ten days or so. Therefore, the fishing in the lakes in the area might be spotty as the fish have moved to deeper water to sulk. Surface temperatures are pretty warm for the trout now on the lakes. Henrys has usually started to have good weed growth by now and trolling from a boat is more difficult due to that. You have to find the channels etc. You might try Ririe Reservoir, south of Rexburg, in the early A.M. or in the evening. It is probably easier to get a boat on and get some fish at those times. Weeds aren't a problem there. Finding the fish can be a little tougher, but, there are some decent trout in there. Keep in touch!
[signature]
You have already picked up some good advice. Birch Creek shouldn't be too difficult for someone learning to fish. You could also try to Blacktail end of Ririe Reservoir for perch or the upper end of Ashton Reservoir for planted rainbows. You could use your canoe and bait at either place.
Here's a link to the regs.
[url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/rules/"]http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/cms/fish/rules/[/url]
You can also pic up a free copy of the regulations about anywhere you purchase a license.
If you have any questions about the regs, feel free to ask us or call the Upper Snake Region F&G office.
Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Brian. I think I will hit up Birch Creek. Only thing is I'm having trouble finding info on it, especially Kaufmann campground. Could either of you give me some info on how to get there, or point me in the direction of where I could find the info myself? We would be leaving from Rexburg, so wherever we need to go from there. I've even looked up Rexburg on the map, and then tried to find a Birch Creek nearby, to no avail.

So if you guys, or anyone could give a fellow fisher bro' some info on how to reach Kaufmann campground, or if you think a different part of Birch Creek is better for catching these beginners some fish, then directions there would be much appreciated. For now it seems that Grandpa Grub has hooked me up with some sound advice.

I will let you all know how it goes.

Thanks!
[signature]
From Rexburg head West on Highway 33. Just after Mud Lake take a right and head NW on highway 28. Birch Creek runs parallel to highway 28. You should be able to find a map with the campground online.
Good luck.
[signature]
Awesome, I found it on Mapquest. Thanks a ton Brian and Grandpa Grub. These guys are pumped to go fishing for their first time, not to mention their first encounter with a fly rod. I will let you know how it goes.

You guys have been really helpful.

One last question,,, there aren't any lakes in the Rexburg area that have Northern Pike in them are there???

Thanks!
[signature]
Everything went great! We fished Birch Creek on Saturday, around 4:00 pm, about a mile past Lone Pine. It was a beautiful little creek, and we had a blast. My first drift produced a beautiful 12 inch brooke trout. Once I confirmed there were fish there, I turned my rod over to my in-laws. They eventually got the hang of things, and everyone caught fish. They thought it was really cool. Some rain clouds blew over us, only dropping a little bit, but swirling the wind up pretty hard.

All in all, it was a great trip. The fish were beautiful and extremely plentiful. We sat and fished one hole for a solid half hour, probably pulling over 20 fish out of it. I couldn't believe it.

Thanks for the help guys. Great recommendation, and I REALLY appreciate it! I was able to show the in-laws that fishing is a great sport, and they can have fun doing it as well.
[signature]