Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost Creek report 7/31
i took Lil'Lunkerhunter up to Lost Creek yesterday morning and fished from the bank east of the boat ramp. We used everything i have ever caight fish on up there and had zero bites in 4 hours. There were very few fish even jumping and nobody else caught anything. 4 boats with about 16 people total caught nothing, one pontooner caught what he said was whitefish(????????) small ones, and 3 other sets of bank anglers had no bites. The guy in the toon had sonar and said there were very few marks and the ones he did see were on the bottom.

What happened up there? Last year we nailed 'em hard from thaw to october! I noticed an overwhelming population of mergansers. I think they have alot to do with it![mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad][mad] I won't be going up there again this year. Looks like if you want trout, head to the uinta's.
[signature]
What's a merganser?? Not a bucket biologist thing is it?
[signature]
It's a fish eating duck.
[signature]

[signature]
Shoot em.....shoot em all!!
[signature]
Sounds like the fish ducks need a hurtin' put on them!
[signature]
I fished up there a couple of weeks ago and caught a lot of cutts. We fished early and deep. By 10 a.m. the action shut off.
[signature]
I fugured as much. Early and deep must be the ticket, but it was a last minute deal. He was happy just getting out of the house and playing in the water.[Smile]

As for the fish eaters... I wish the f&g would open a season or something on the pieces of sh**! I posted on an incident at clearfield pond a few month's back where they(a group of 4 or something like that) devestated half of a weeks stocking in a few hours![mad][mad][mad][mad] They are rampant on all of the lake that have trout in them and even some that don't. I saw a story in a magazine that had the fish and wildlife service looking for some guys that splattered hundreds of baby ones with 12 guages on an island on the east coast. They were presumed to be fish farmers and i would love to meet them and shake their hands![sly][sly][sly]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]California has major problems with both mergansers and cormorants. The cormorants are big birds and can really eat a lot of fish. They just about wipe out entire stocks of hatchery fish and commercial fish raising operations...but they are protected. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Kinda like the sea lions in the rivers that salmon and steelhead run up in the fall. The protected pinnipeds chow down on thousands of fish, in sight of aggravated fishermen who have seen their favorite waters closed or seasons limited because of dwindling stocks of fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And then there is the issue of restricting sports catch while allowing continuing commercial harvests. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don't get me started.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Now, if we could only prove that mergansers and cormorants had ties to Al Qaida...or that they were hiding weapons of mass destruction...[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I stand corrected about the species i was refering to. They are indeed cormorants not mergansers. Thanks for the clarification TD.
[signature]
[Image: cormorants_IMG_2384.JPG]
CORMORANTS
[Image: cormorants.jpeg]

[Image: mergansers_IMG_2633.JPG]
MERGANSERS
[Image: mergansers.JPG]

[cool][#0000ff]Here are some pics I rounded up to show the difference. Cormorants are usually black and much larger. They both eat fish, but mergansers usually prey on smaller fry and minnows, whereas comorants can swallow a pretty good sized trout. They are the birds that are trained as fishing birds in China.[/#0000ff]
[signature]