Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua 7-30 and 8-2
Sunday evening launched at Hyrum at 4:00pm. Fished until 6:30 with not even a bite. Saw lots of marks on the sonar but could not get anything to hit. Threw everything but the kitchen sink at them, but nothing. Decided we did not want to get skunked so we packed up and headed to Mantua. Very good decision. Caught about 50 fish between the 2 of us from 730 to 900. Vertical jigged off the side of the boat and caught quite a few bluegill and a few perch. Pulled out the maniac reaper and caught quite a few bass (one about 13"). Went out again last night and arrived on the water at about 600pm. Fishing was alot slower (maybe due to the storm?) and it was alot more difficult to get the fish to bite. Brought worms to tip on Sunday night but by the end of the night, we didn't even need worms. We didnt bring worms last night and wished we had them for this trip. Still ended up with about 20 fish between the two of us and suprisingly they were almost all perch. Not very many bluegill. The perch had some size to them this time. All in all a very good couple of days on Mantua.
[signature]
Just curious, why would you keep the blue gill? I understand perch is very good eating and I am not sure about bass, but what do you do with blue gill that if you did fillet them, there would be one bite? I am not trying to be negative, but wouldn't it make sense to keep the little fish in the lake for others to catch? By the way, it looks like you guys had fun.
[signature]
What side of the lake were you fishing? We have been to Mantua a few times this summer and we have only caught a few small bass on black and red or rainbow colored spoons and spinners. We generally fish the south or east side about 100-150 yards from shore (out of the thick vegitation). Of course the kids love cathing the gills and perch, but we would like to get into a few of the bigger bass.

Thanks
[signature]
Myself and the little guy stopped on our way back from Lee's to catch a few and play in the new sand by the boat docks. I caught about 15 gills and perch and my little boy reeled all them in plus his own 20. He had alot of fun just playing in the sand too. No bass and very small gills and perch close to the boat dock.
[signature]
Bluegills are great eating!
[signature]
We actually threw back about 45 fish between the 2 days. The gills that were kept were all good size and made pretty good fillets. No worries on enough bluegill in that lake. We had a dozen around the jigs every time we put a line in the water.
[signature]
Not very good with directions up there, but we started (if you are standing on the dock) on the left side of the lake and drifted towards the middle of the lake and ended up about even with the point between the two coves. The maniac reaper was the trick on the first night and jigging with a white tube jig on the very top of the vegetation worked on the second night.
[signature]
The Bass regulations on mantua are: 6 fish ONLY 1 over 12 inches It looks like pehaps you and your friend should measure your fish next time before you kill em looks like you have over your limit of 12 inchers to me. on 7-30-06
[signature]
The bass were measured. Only one was over 12 inches. No worries....I try to make a contribution to the board and make a fishing report and get blasted. Guess I will go back to just reading like I have for the past 2 years. No laws were broken and I dont think the fish that were taken will hurt this fishery. I enjoy eating bluegill, perch and crappie and do my fair share of catch and release.
[signature]
I rarely post on here because I don't live in UT anymore and don't have anything to contribute; however, I do read the reports regularly because it's fun to see other people's success.

I enjoyed the report and the pics. Thanks for sharing. Bluegill are delicious and quite easy to filet if they have any size. Also, I've rarely encountered a fishery that couldn't stand to have some bluegill harvested. And, how about we let the DWR police people and keep this site as a fun place where people can report their success. I like to assume that most people know the rules and obey them.
[signature]
Jeff, check your p.m.[Wink]
[signature]
JAB-

I don't think he was raggin on you at all. It is hard to tell what size they are from the picture. I wondered the same thing but I didn't remember the regs. I'd assume that he's making sure that you know the regs is all. It would be a shame to have a good day ruined by not knowing the regs. Keep posting. I enjoyed the post and the pics. They were some nice bluegills. If I had my druthers I'd eat crappie, perch, bluegill, and catfish every day. I love catching slimers but I'll stick to the pan fish and kitties to eat!!!
[signature]
Don't let that guy get to you. I only asked about the blue gill because I did not know you could eat them. Thanks for sharing with me that you can fillet them and they are good eating. We enjoy your posts and I and would not go back to being a reader. Some guys have a sharp pen (keyboard). Maybe they could ask you before they accuse you. That would be better don't you agree? Because of your post I want to go up and catch those little buggers with my fly rod. Wish me luck.
[signature]
Good luck. I've found that a little float foam or closed cell foam tied to make a loop body with some rubber legs and peacock herl o be deadly little popper. It is even better if you put a dropper below. Strike indicator and a popper to boot. Doesn't get much better than that. Good luck. Make sure you eat them and you'll never quit fishing for them.
[signature]
Thank you for your post and your photos. In your photo I see eight smaller bass and one clearly larger bass, some perch and bluegill. I see nothing that could be considered a violation for two fishermen. Thank you again for the report.
I was wondering is there a good spot at Mantua for a mixed bag of fish like that from shore. I would like to take my son back to Mantua again,its his favorite fishing hole because of the bluegills, but I was wondering if there was anywhere i could get him into some bass without to much of a hike because he's only 4 1/2yrs.

Thanks again for the post and any info would be greatly appreciated,
Bigpapafish
[signature]
It's good to see you taking a few fish from there. It seems really overpopulated with small bluegill and perch. It looks like you found some perch that were pretty chunky though. Enjoyed your report.
[signature]