Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last Chance Kokes
Well the last few days for possesion of kokes payed off. We headed up to causey on saturday night and fished for the last three hours of daylight. The first two hours dragged forever only ending up with a few hits. The last hour however was amazing! We couldn't keep the kokes off our lines. We ended up catching a bunch of kokes and keeping our limit. Some of the kokes had a red tint to them but a lot of them were still silver. We were trolling with pop-gear, I had a silver hum-dinger on and my friend Rich had a mepps cyclone in the same color. We had a great night and the kokes tasted amazing! The biggest koke was about 16 1/2 and the smallest about 12, nothing like the gorge kokes but definetly a blast! [Smile]
see pics below
[signature]
Nice going! Thanks for the report.
[signature]
thanks for the report. i need to get back up there and fish it more
[signature]
I was surprized to see those small kokes were mature enough to spawn.Is that about the average size for that water?
[signature]
ive sen 18-20in. but most of them are smaller
[signature]
Nice report Hookjaw. [Smile]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] Wow I've never seen them as they are turning color, that's really cool. Looks like another place that I need to wet a hook in.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4][/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]Can you put a boat in causey?[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
only if you can carry it... no ramp
[signature]
There is no ramp there. You have to carry your boat down a steep dam face. Small boats that you can carry down to the water only.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 4] I wasn't sure had to ask.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#ff0000][size 4]AFDan52[/size][/#ff0000][/font]
[signature]
Nice report. Glad the kokes treated you guys OK.
[signature]
What does a hum-dinger look like? How deep were the fish and how fast were you trolling? Also, did you tip your lures? Thanks for any help.[cool]
[signature]
If you use something silver you cant go wrong. I cruised up there again the next day and had the same luck. Infact I'm heading up again right now again. Fish 15-30 feet deep and increase speed every once in a while to tease them. Make sure if you go up there you fish the scout arm, no where else was productive for me.
good luck, Hookjaw
[signature]
Thanks. I'll try it next week maybe. How low was the water? Was launching easy or difficult?
[signature]
ok I have a question.. I have fished all of my life and I am not sure what a kokanee is... I thought it was a salmon... at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot help me out here... also from reading these posts it sounds like the season for kokanee's is closed because they are spawning??? second, those pictures were great... where is causey reservoir and would that be a good lake to take my flyrod and pontoon boat to ??
[signature]
Kokes are salmon... [Smile] Landlocked sockeye.

Go up east on 12th street in Ogden, it turns into canyon road. Go up Ogden Canyon. Keep going straight passed Pineview Dam. You turn right as if you were going to Monte Cristo. Keep following that raod through the canyon until you hit the Red Rock cafe. Make a right there, and that road takes you right up to the dam.

I have only fly fished it once, and that was out of my tube. I did pretty good using bugger on sinking line.

Also the South Fork of the Ogden that runs out of Causey is VERY good flyfishing. Standards nymphs on the bottom, and various caddis patterns on top should do the trick. [Tongue]
[signature]
Just a Note, I believe after the 15th of August you can't keep any with a red coloring to them as they are the spawners. I think all the ones in the pictures would be considered illeagle to keep, even the lighter colored ones. They start getting soft and mushy after they start turning color and aren't very good eating. We used to be able to keep them in Idaho when they were Red and I didn't care for them. [cool]
[signature]
I've had my toon up to Causey and done well in the past. You've got to go deeper to get the kokes, but very early or very late in the day they are a little shallower. Good luck if you go.
[signature]
so they are doing well right now then?? and kind of an ethical question.... should I not fish for kokes because they are spawning or is it ok to fish for them just make sure to release them all???
[signature]