Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua report
Went float tubing on Mantua this afternoon. Took a first time tuber and relatively new fly fisher. We generally stuck with flies and did pretty well. In an hour and a half or so we each caught about a dozen fish, mostly bluegill, and few bass, and all were mostly small. Caught two bluegill that were about 10 inches, and one bass that pushed 13 inches. All were caught with either a black leech or a damsel. One rod had floating line, the other sinking, and both did fine.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good report. Hope the newbie had a good time. That little pond is mighty friendly to fly flingers this time of year. And, those bigger bluegills really pull hard.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
10" Bluegill are nice fish. Thanks for the report! [Smile]
[signature]
Goodonya!! No better way to ease a newbie in than catching some good fish![cool] Keep it up.
[signature]
Just wondering about the weed condition at Mantua. I havn't been out there for a bit but the last time you almost could walk across it. I may take the kids up that way if I can launch a boat.

Thanks in advance.

John
[signature]
Lots of weeds, but also plenty of spaces to find fish. There were a few boats out there, although I don't know how they were doing.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I will be tubing it today, to help DWR to harvest some fish for the kids' pond at the state fair coming up. I will post a report later today with water temps, weed conditions and (of course) fishing action.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Typically there are some areas where the weeds do grow from the bottom to the surface, but there are usually plenty of open holes and areas around the shoreline where there is open fishing available. All that provides plenty of spawning environment and protection for the fry, as well as habitat for aquatic invertebrates. Lots of food and cover. Makes it tough to fish sometimes but keeps the fish population healthy.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I do like to hit Mantua in my little boat with the kids. My 12' is nice cause I can paddle into the weeds and hit those cool little holes in the weeds. I guess all the weeds act as skier control out there also[sly].
[signature]