Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Mead - Distance From Temple Bar to Gov't Wash
I realize there's a lot of water between Temple Bar and Gov't Wash but I was wondering how long of a trek that would be....travelling about 25 mph. I also realize that the Virgin Basin is huge and it can often simulate the conditions of swells that are typically seen in the ocean. Has anyone travelled through the Virgin Basin and experienced these types of conditions? Any recommendations as to the fastest yet safest route through the Virgin Basin? Or should I just avoid the Basin altogether?

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Wow, no input from the board, huh? I guess I'm just going to have to figure it out myself.
[signature]
Yeah, I tried that but you can be off by a mile or even more. Google Earth is great at looking at the specific coves and contours of the lake, however, ascertaining the distance from one location to another will prove to be quite difficult, especially where you're trying to get from one side of the lake to the other.

Also, I noticed that Google Earth has not updated the images for the entire lake. Callville Bay and Temple Bar areas appear to be updated. Those images look like the conditions on the lake about 1 and 1/2 years ago.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Thought about that, too. Unfortunately, that just gives you the distance in a straight line. There are many turns and curves so I think the estimate would be longer. I just wanted to see if there was someone on this discussion board who had travelled that far. But I guess that would make very little sense since there's no point to launch from the other side of the lake. Although I am curious to hear if anyone has gone across the Virgin Basin. How large are the swells? Any recommended routes through the Basin?

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]