Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Toon Rack for car
Thought I saw a post about using PVC to rig up a pontoon rack that sits on top of an existing roof rack. Basically had two horizontal pieces that kicked upwards on the door sides of the car sort of hugging the outside of the pontoons. One above say front door and one above the rear door. These were cinched onto the existing rack. Anyone got pictures of the finished product? Thanks
[signature]
Two things here. Be careful of factory racks and well built kickboats.
It's true. Tore his Expedition right off the top down the freeway at 70mph. After all that, just a few minor scrapes and new seat, he was ready to go. It's a testament to Dave Scadden boats. Just be glad there wasn't a semi behind him.
[signature]
Thanks. I will be using the same rack/car that I have been carrying 4 kayaks on at 80+ for three years. I think it will be okay. Never had a problem. Of course, it's a Subaru that is marketed to "Sports" minded folks. LOL. It hits 100,000 in 275 more miles. It's just waking up. My last one hit 283,000 before the last owner sold it (father in law).

bigdaddyjohn
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I was probably the one who posted the pic of a PVC roof rack. I've been knowed to play with that stuff before. The first pic shows my experimental model, positioned under my (former) Fish Cat Cougar. It was basically a rectangular contraption, with elbows and risers to provide lateral support to the craft while underway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I only used it once. I found that I could carry the toon just as well by securing all four corners to the existing roof rack and then running support lines from the front rings to the front bumper. That made it rock solid, with little chance of "liftoff", and eliminated the need for extra PVC foo-foo.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Every pontoon is designed differently, and so is every roof rack on every model of vehicle that comes equipped with them. There are likely to be situations in which a PVC "helper" might make for a more stable roof mount. However, as others have pointed out, you should never rely on the strength of the roof rack mounts alone. You should always secure the front as I have shown in my pics. At the very least, run some strap or rope around through the windows on each side and up over the toon to secure it with more than the sometimes flimsy connections on factory roof racks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One other thing that has not been mentioned is protection for the finish on the top of your vehicle. I have seen the paint jobs on the tops of tube and toon transport vehicles trashed by the rubbing against them. Towels, blankets, tarps or a piece of carpet scrap can help keep your ride looking good, even if you insist on turning it into a truck.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Okay here's the deal. When I bought this Subaru, it's factory rack didn't fit my existing Thule Rack system. It was going to cost quite a bit to by the new towers and clamps to make my stuff work. That didn't happen and I was happy with just throwing my kayaks up there. It worked.

The pontoon boat however, is wider than the factory rack and as mentioned above, I don't want to wear the paint off. With your previously posted rack in mind, I went just a little further.

My nice neighbor had several pieces of 1/2" conduit and a tubing bender. I have made a rack that sits on top of the factory rack and basically widens what I already had. I'll post pics tonight after i get the SS screws and extra cam straps that are required.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]The conduit sounds like a good move. It is light, yet strong enough to hold a toon and to stabilize any lateral sliding. Sounds like you have a firm attachment system figured out. That is vital. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Some good pics...with and without the toon attached...would be a good addition to our picture board. Looking forward to seeing them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Took some pics but they weren't great. Where do you host them so they can be posted here?

Thanks
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Go to the help section in the menu above, for instructions on uploading pics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have a problem, email them to me and I will edit them into your post for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "mailto:pscouten@comcast.net"]pscouten@comcast.net[/url] [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I was the guest reply and I looked at the other posts how TD showed pics of tieing it down to the front bumper but I never see anyone ever tied down a pontoon like that and probably never will people just won't do it. and my tahoe had all metal roof rack and mounting and it was solid.Never had a problem I just think if you carry it up top make sure it's metal everything and no plastic because it eventually will go bye bye. Might not be tommorrow or next month but it might happen down the road and it will bum you out. Also hello to all I just registered and have been looking at this sight for awhile and it looks like a real imformative site. hope to leartn alot from you guys.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey, welcome aboard and thanks for the insightful comments.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I checked your name on your profile. Are you related to EvilAsh and Flygoddess?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I don't know this trouble maker[Wink]
Heard however, this guy is a die hard FF and can catch a fish or two.
I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara and I am in a loop on how to transport MY boats. The Cardiac, I have no choice, a trailer. Even if I could get the boat on my roof, It is bigger that my whole car. As far as the Echo, I have one of those aluminum cargo racks that goes on the receiver hitch, and I can strap the Echo to that and my spare tire. I am can't bring myself to running rope over the paint.
Someday I will buy the rack made for my Zuke. Funny, that the one Suzuki makes for it has a higher weight capasity and is cheaper than Yak, or Thule.[cool]
[signature]
I am not admitting we are related. Evil ash is uglier than me and I know more about everything than flygodess
[signature]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]I am not admitting we are related. Evil ash is uglier than me and I know more about everything than flygodess [/size][/black][/font]

[laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh][laugh]!
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Okay, now I can see the family resemblance.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You are still welcome, but I don't know why. Those other two like to push buttons and strain the limits. Now we got another fambly member to contend with. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Ah heck, let's all just go fishin'.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[cool]Welcome Poky-mon. Sounds like you have some good genes. Fly Fishin' must run in the family, eh?

zonker
[signature]