Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubing Horsepower
That's very interesting and unusual to say the least. That's the first C&R I've heard of on carp. [shocked] Around here, and I expect in most all other places, they are considered a trash fish and far too abundant. They are removed by most any means, i.e. bow, discarded or used for "kittie" bait, mostly discarded. I used to do the same but recently I've been letting em go too. Been catching a few on plastics whil smallie fishing. I'm sure 99.9% of fisherman would get on my case but, I don't know, it's just rubbing me the wrong way lately, sooooooo --------, I guess I'll just have to take guff. Getting too old I guess and too soft. The few I do keep, I eat because as I said they are much better table fair than 99.9% of fishermen think and the same amount don't want to try em so, there you go. I learned about em while smallie fishing at The Flaming Gorge lot's of years ago. They were in the shallows, as usual, had my bow, shot a couple, felt a little guilty, said "self, let's find out if they are really trash fish so maybe you won't feel as bad"? Filleted em up, big, big fillets, cooked one up, and since then I've continued to fillet any kept for eatun!!!! [Smile][Smile] Firm meat, on the oily side, but a lot better tasting than a lot of others, i.e. trout, yepers, I said trout. [shocked] Biggest problem is what I call the Y bones. Once removed they are prime as long as they are from fresh water.
Leaky
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]You have probably wittnessed this also, the Provo gets jammed with these at times and people do catch them but the worst thing is, they kill them and leave them on the shore to stink and dray bugs. In Idaho, I have seen people catch them, then use them for bait.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I consider them GAME fish and they are a challenge. CHUB on the otherhad is a different ball game.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I do think that on the TROUT streams they need to be harvested (KILLED) for the remainding food supply. Thay do get big![/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I don't think of them as trash fish, cause they don't just feed off the bottom. I have caught them on a dry before.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] Old stories I guess we learned from our GRANDPARENTS. Chub are the trash fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
As for tossin' them up on the bank to rot, I've seen that, too. Makes life very miserable for other fisherpersons. It's also meaningless really, as carp are so prolific that killing a few of them makes little noticable difference in many water systems. So few people fish for them that others will survive to replace the ones that died. Fish and Game commissions have tried for years in some states to erradicate carp with little lasting success. What's the old saying, "If you can't beat them...?"

I'm still new at this catching them on flies so the jury is still out as to whether I will continue to pursue them this way. However, as has already been noted by the wise and seasoned Mr. Tubedude, if you're gonna release the fish anyway and not eat it (Leaky duly respected, of course) and it provides decent sport, what difference does it make? If I can go out in an afternoon and do battle with several 10 pound plus fish on my flyrod, seeing my backing for the first time in a long time, with the potential of a fish of 20 pounds or even bigger, I consider that a worthwhile pursuit. Just took a little adjusting of my prejudices handed down from my parents and grandparents, as FG mentioned.

Saltwater bonefish were once considered a worthless "sucker" but now people pay thousands to pursue them.

Carp are a real challenge to catch on flies where I live. You have to search for them, find them in shallow water, stalk them and cast accurately, and even then they will often either ignore you to bolt out of the area - which in turn causes the rest in the vicinity to likewise bolt. When one does take a fly though, the response is instant. In shallows explode and the water flies as the fish burns out of the area, and the fisherman is either in for a long battle which often includes several good runs or is left limp with an empty tippet and his/her mouth hanging open wondering why he used such light leader material.

I still like my trout, steelhead, and bass, mind you. But I do enjoy catching big fish. There are plenty of big carp around and they're available throughout the summer months - included the hottest months of all when other fish have retreated to the depths.

Here's a photo I "borrowed" of a flyrod carper who lives north of me in Portland, OR. He fishes up on the Columbia system and he's about the most avid carp on the fly fisherman I've ever heard of. I would love to put myself in that picture.

[Image: IMGP0251.jpg]

With winter on the way, if you'd like some good fishing entertainment with the potential of more in the spring, check out this website:

[url "http://carponthefly.blogspot.com/"]Carp on the Fly Blog[/url]

That said, I hope to soon be back in my tube fishing for those little three and four pound winter trout that I like to catch when the rain starts. Pics to follow (hopefully).

z~
[signature]
I agree with everything you and [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?username=zonker;"][#000000][size 1]zonker [/size][/#000000][/url] have said. My only remaining goal is to get you guys to eat em, especially you since you are so much "the few" and I value your participation because of it.[Wink] If I can convert you then, ----------------, the world of fishermen are at my beckoning. [Smile]
Leaky
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have been known to eat some unusual stuff and got to warn you, if I don't like it I will make that clear.[crazy] You cook it, I'll try it![Wink][/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I have had pickled and smoked carp before and it was very good. I'll have to try some in the frying pan and see how they are.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Thans for dropping in and sharing that video. I changed it to a link for you.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Don'tcha love to hear the sound of the drag when a big fish empties your reel?[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Hi John,

Glad to see you found us. I just had to share your pic and blog with these guys. You'll probably get some visitors to your site.

zonker
[signature]