Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helping with Gill nets at Bear lake
[font "Comic Sans MS"][red][size 3]My son Chris and I went up to Bear Lake to help out BearLakeFishGuy with the Gill net research today. The day started out with us meeting up at the marina about 8:am to get ready to go. We also meet up with Joyride ( it was very nice to meet you.) We got a quick briefing about the days events and off we went to find the nets.[/size][/red][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The water was a little rough from the wind blowing over the water , but BLFG assured us that it would calm down around 9:30 or 10:00am. Once the water settled down it turned out to be a Great day on Bear Lake. As we worked the nets in each area, we recorded the specifics that BLFG wanted and then we moved on to the next one.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]When the netting was finished, we headed back to the marina and bs'ed a little while we removed all the warm clothes and wet gear. Then we were invited to go up to the Office to help out with Biological part of the day. Chris and I learned a lot about the fish in Bear Lake. Thanks BearLakeFishGuy for an educational day. Sorry the pictures are not clear, my wife changed the settings and I didn't check it.[/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]AFDan52[/size][/font]

[signature]
[Tongue] Sure Dan, Blame the camera stuff on your wife! Tell us about that small mac that Scott is holding in your pic. Looks like it is stunted in its growth. What up?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]Dan,

Thanks for going up and helping the state with neting. A few questions for ya:
[ol] [li]About how many fish did you pull out of the nets?[/li] [li]Do any of the gill netted fish live? If so, about what percent live?[/li] [li]Of those that do live through the gill neting process, how many get put back in the lake to swim again.[/li] [li]Like Riley asked, what's up with that one deformed looking mack?[/li] [li]What are some of the things you learned or impressed on your mind about your knolege of Bear Lake fish?[/li][/ol]
I really wanted to participate in some Bear Lake gill netting. There was a bunch of stuff I wanted to learn. But my schedule would not permit.

Again, thanks for going.[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
Nice report. I have done a vatiety of volunteer work with division personal. It is always worth the time. They generally are more than willing to explain what they are doing. When you finish you have a much better understanding of what is going on and a good feeling from helping with a species you are interested in. gshorthair
[signature]
The "deformed" mac was just that.....a hatchery deformity. The small mac was adipose clipped, therefore indicating it was a triploid fish that was stocked since 2001. So what happened?? When the eggs are treated with 9,500 psi of pressure to induce triploidy (adding a third set of chomosomes) this can cause some defomities. Many of these fish are weeded-out while a the hatchery and not stocked. Others die shortly after stocking since they have a hard time competing with "normal" fish in Mother Nature's cruel world. However, some fish do make it and this one had lordosis... a up/down shifting of the spine causing it to be particularly short for its length and more "bluegill" shaped than lake trout shaped. To have one live to this size is quite rare, but I've seen several others over the years that weren't triploid with the same conditon or even with sculiosis (side to side shifting of the spine). Anyway, the picture was taken to note the uniqueness of this fish. By the way, we tagged and released this particular fish.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] My fault for not checking the settings before I left the house. My bad.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
It was good to meet you and Chris. It was a very pleasant day learning more about the Bear.

Thanks for an interesting day BLFG.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black] Hi Coot ole buddy.Chris and I had a great time helping Scott yesterday.I'll try to answer your questions:[/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]1. There were 6 nets we worked and relocated, the number of fish in each one varied from net to net. It would be difficult for me to say how many were in each net,however I will tell you that there were a lot of Utah Suckers in every net. Most nets had Cisco and small White Fish and a few Utah Chubs.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"] A couple of the nets held some Cutthrout Trout and that one Mack.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]2. Yes, most of the fish lived.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]3. Most of the fish taken from the nets were released to swim again, only a couple of the Cutthrouts and the small whitefish were kept for the Biological study.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]4.I think that Scott has already asnwered that one. It was sort of funny looking.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]5. Some of the things we learned about Bear Lake. Well, one thing for sure The nets are heavy when they are in the water. I have a better knowledge of what the fish eat at up there. But I think the most interesting part of the day, was observing Scott aging and sexing the fish we removed from the days catch. This guy knows his stuff.[/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]I'm glad that we were able to help out with this study and yes, I would do it again.[/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"]AFDan52[/font]
[signature]
Sounds like an educational and valuable experience. Glad you could make it up, and thanks for sharing.
[signature]
Easy Dan, I was just ribbin ya on the pics. That will happen to all of us at some time. they still portrayed what you wanted us to see.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] Hi Mark, no worries my friend we're cool. [/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Well, at least you took pictures. I was too busy holding on for dear life![/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Hi Rich , we had quite a rough ride going across the lake to the east side. But it settled down just like Scott said it would.

AFDan52
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Well, today was a little different. The forecast called for crappy weather and we got it. We got snow, rain, and wind BUT we did go fish after we were finished. I took the boat with me. Even with waves, snow, and wind, we caught some very nice cutthroat.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] Chris and I thought long and hard about doing that also. I was thinking that we were going to be busy a lot longer than we were. My thought was that there wouldn't be time to get out to my favorite spot and get back before getting dark, and I am getting to the point that I don't like to drive much at night anymore.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3] But we are thinking about going up on Sunday. BTW how was the drive comming back? Did the roads get bad?[/size][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]So where's your favorite spot, mackwacker?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] Right now around GR point and rockpile area. No one spot targeted, YET. I want to go and troll the East side and see what happens there. Who knows.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][#002850]BLM,

I didn't realize you too were up there working the gill net project. Anyone else from BFT that we might know besides you, Dan & Son, and Joy Ride?[/#002850][/font][/size]
[signature]
Petty and Polo Kid are helping out today.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I hooked up with icejigginfool. We told Scott to schedule us as needed. You didn't know because I just didn't make a big fanfare about helping out. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I see you're donating a shelf with hooks to the marina restroom. Should be a nice addition. The bench in there is a real jewel! When are you going to install it?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]