Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cold / Freezing Weather Boating.....
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]For all you guys getting into this cold weather boat fishing there are a few points of interest in how you operate and maintain your outboard motors in cold and freezing conditions. I thought I knew enough but apparently not; my motor is in the shop being repaired because of a lack of education on cold water / ice operation. So without letting you know how much I didn’t know here are a few things to save you the trouble of having to repair your motor due to improper cold weather maintenance and operation [/size][/#122629][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629] [/#122629][/size][/font] [ul] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]Even though outboards naturally drain, which makes them desirable in cold weather conditions; they do not fully drain all the water from the system. There is still water that can be contained by the water pump impellers. Removing this water is a simple but necessary requirement. To remove the remaining water, you need to crank the motor AFTER you have trailered the boat and it is out of the water. With a pull start, slowly pull the rope to rotate the engine 4 to 5 times to remove the water. Now this is not a sure fire way to remove water from the sophisticated, temperature sensor controlled outboard. If your motor is still warm, you should be able to expel the water. If the motor has cooled down and the valve is closed, you may not be able to expel the water. Consult your dealer for details.[/size][/#122629][/font][/li][/ul]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629] [/#122629][/size][/font] [ul] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]When you have trailered your boat in cold, below freezing weather, allow the boat to sit in the water for several minutes before starting so it can thaw any unwanted icing. The motor could be so cold that the first water to contact it may freeze to it, impeding the flow of enough water to sufficiently cool you motor thus causing it to over heat. Also if there is ice in the impellers and you try to start it, you could damage the impeller blades or the water pump. Not a good thing when you’re racing down the lake and your motor is overheated and going into melt down. Remember it does not take long to damage an outboard from over heating. I’ve been told less than 30 seconds depending on the conditions.[/size][/#122629][/font][/li][/ul]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629] [/#122629][/size][/font] [ul] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629]Always run fuel stabilizers and fuel drying additives in your fuel. Water can condense even in a tightly sealed tank and that water can freeze in the carburetor causing the motor to run badly. If this occurs, do not run at full throttle, as you will build up heat in the motor and cause overheating problems. Idle or motor home at low speeds. [/#122629][/size][/font][/li][/ul]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629] [/#122629][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]I’m sure there are more common sense things a guy can do to prevent problems in cold weather but these are a few things that can save you some engine repairs. I’m lucky, a new water pump and I’m back in business. It could have been a lot worse.[/size][/#122629][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][#122629][size 3][/size][/#122629][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]The only thing I can see is you're not registered, Friend! Why not register and take advantage of the BFT benefits. Also by registering I'll know who's brain I'm picking before I head for the Gorge. We'd love to have you join the fun! Thanks for your post![/size][/font]
[signature]
Ouch, sorry about that BLM. As you said, it could have been alot worse. I was on pineview when I figured out my impellar wanst pumping any water. My motor is okay (I think) but I'm sure it didnt help it.
[signature]
Just wanted to say one thing before you take that outboard to the shop,I have had problems with carpenter bees,they think your water drian is a perfect home,More than once i have had to take the hose off from the head to the part where it drians off into the lake and clean nicely packed mud house out of the drian hose,happen alot in the summer,and one of my last trips out to willard last fall the little sucker got me again,just take the top off the motor and diconect it from the power head and see if you have a stream of water coming out if so the whole outlet hose is probabley full of a little bees house.If you store your boat outdoors and the water was coming out on your last trip,check the hose before you take it in.its happened to me at least once or twice a year.This doesnt happen in the winter but have had the problem first thing in the spring.

TIGHT LINES

Tony[Tongue]
[signature]
[blue][size 2]Good, timely post BLM. One other thing in real cold weather is to plug your livewell intakes to keep water out. And use a compressor or RV antifreeze to flush all water out of livewell drain hoses (do this first, then plug intakes).[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Your advice about cranking the motor, for those who choose to do so, also brings up the importance of bi-annual impellar changes.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Also, Guest advocated removing plugs to crank motor. I'd like to ask why? You can just pull the kill switch and give it a couple quick cranks. Personally I don't do either, opting instead to raise and lower the motor an extra time to help drain all the water. And I do it while parked on the inclined ramp.[/size][/blue]
Thanks for the tips BLM. With those pigs you guys hauled in over the weekend, more people will be trying out the bear. It's good to know some sweet tips for keeping those pricey outboards in tip top shape.
[signature]