Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southwestern Idaho crappie/bass
Just moved back to Idaho and excited about the warm water fish in the southwestern area. I would like to know whether I can expect to do well through the winter and into spring for crappie/bluegill, SM bass in CJ Strike and Lake Lowell, fishing ultralight gear from shore. I work about 60-80 hours per week for the next 2 years, so hopefully a dash out for a couple of hours will yield some stress-relieving catches.

Also, any info. on gear/tackle (ultralight ok?) for fishing the Snake near Nampa...can I jig? Small safety pin spinner with ring tail grub or jig work? Are there bluegill in the river?

Thanks tons, and man, is it ever great to be back home! I grew up in southeastern Idaho, fished the southfork when nobody did in the winter, and caught ginormous browns! Those days are over, so would like to try some warm water fishing, as I learned while in Arkansas and Arizona.
[signature]
Thx very much for all the info. Looks like perhaps I will be casting for trout instead. I imagine it is based on water temperature, and I should do some reading to find out the ranges for crappie.

Do the bluegill follow suit, or can they be had throughout the winter?
[signature]
We have been catching some Smallmouth Bass in the Payette River below the Black Canyon Dam. Not sure for how much longer. Just using 3" brown plastic grubs. If there here they should be hitting in the Snake. Other then that, I'm probobly done until spring, then you will catch me at Brownlee or on the river around Emmett.
[signature]