Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Identify the species and win #2
I will mail a half a dozen of my favorite ice flies/ice fishing jigs to the first person that identifies all 15 fish in the pictures below.

All of the species in the pictures below are found in Idaho.

The rules are:
#1 You need a registered user name to win.

#2 All species in the pictures need to be identified in a single post before the end of December.

#3 Before you post your answer you must have made at least one other post on BFT Idaho within the last year under your registered username. It doesn't matter if the post was made only 5 minutes before you post your answer.

#4 If you don't identify all the species correctly the first try you can try again but you may only make one post per day.

#5 You don't have to name the exact strain of fish but you can't post a general answer like "trout" or "bass". An answer like "rainbow trout" or "cutthroat trout" will be sufficient. If you guess that a species is "Yellowstone cutthroat" and it is a "Bear Lake cutthroat" I will still count your answer correct because it is a cutthroat trout.

This one is a little more difficult so I’m giving you until the end of December. I will be surprised if someone can guess all of them correctly their first try. I’ll post another set of pictures in a week or so. The next set of pictures won’t be as difficult as this one. Don't expect a response from me right away because I might not get back online for 7 or 8 days. I’m going to be elk hunting all of this week (with the exception of Thanksgiving Day).[cool]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19684][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19685][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19686][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19687][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19688][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19689][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19690][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19691][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19692][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19693][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19694][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19695][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19696][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19697][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=19698][/size][/font]
[signature]
I like what you are doing. Keep it up I think it really helps people get involved.

1.Brook Trout
2.Rainbow
3. Cuttbow hybrid
4. Green sunfish
5. Walleye
6. Cutthroat
7. Perch
8. Brown Trout
9. Small mouth
10. Rainbow
11. Kokanne
12.Small mouth
13. Rainbow
14. Sturgen
15.Rainbow

Fight4not
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 4]I agree with Fight4not, but would change #4 to Bluegill.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Great pics Brian, some tricky ones here.......

1. Splake
2. Bow
3. Cutt
4. bluegill
5. Walleye
6. Cutt
7. Perch
8. Brown
9. SMB
10. Bow
11. Koke
12. SMB
13. Bow
14. Sturgeon
15. Bow
[signature]
1-Splake(?) sides hard to see...
2-Rainbow
3-Cutthroat
4-Green eared sunfish (big one too)
5-Walleye
6-Cutthoat
7-Yellow Perch
8-Brown
9-Big fat smally
10-Rainbow (Kamloops?) from AF?
11-Kokanee but hard to tell from photo
12-Smallmouth
13-Rainbow
14 White Sturgeon
15-Rainbow

How's that?
[signature]
[size 1]1-Bull trout[/size]
[size 1]2-Rainbow
3-Cutthroat
4-Green eared sunfish
5-Walleye
6-Cutthoat
7-Yellow Perch
8-Brown
9-Smally
10-Rainbow
11-Kokanee
12-Smallmouth
13-Rainbow
14 White Sturgeon
15-Rainbow [/size]
[signature]
1. Dolly Varden
2. Rainbow
3. Cutthroat
4. Green Sunfish
5. Walleye
6. Cutthroat
7. Yellow Perch
8. Brown Trout
9. Smallmouth
10. Kokanee
11. Smallmouth
12. Rainbow
13. Sturgeon
14. Rainbow
[signature]
Congratulations idahopanfish. Send me a PM with the address you would like your ice flies/jigs mailed to.
I’m surprised that we already have a winner. I will post another set of pictures sometime in the next week.
Here is what I identified them as (I might not be 100% correct on the exact strain of some of the rainbows).

#1 Bull Trout aka Dolly Varden, I would have accepted either, from what I understand there is a geographical difference between the Dollies and Bull trout. This area has Bull Trout – Little Lost River
#2 Rainbow Trout (Wild juvenile rainbow with par markings) – Little Lost River
#3 Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout (spawning colors) – Henry’s Lake
#4 Green Sunfish akd sunnies, green eared sunfish – Lake Powell
#5 Walleye – Lake Powell
#6 Yellowstone Cutthroat Trout (caught in October) – Henry’s Lake
#7 Yellow Perch – Ririe Reservoir
#8 Brown Trout (wild brown with unusual spot pattern) – Portneuf River
#9 Smallmouth Bass – American Falls Reservoir
#10 Rainbow Trout (Triploid Troutlodge Kamloop?) – American Falls Reservoir
#11 Kokanee – Devil Creek Reservoir
#12 Smallmouth Bass – Lake Powell
#13 Rainbow Trout (Triploid Hayspur? with a damaged tail) – Deep Creek Reservoir(location?)
#14 White Sturgeon – Snake River
#15 Rainbow Trout (Triploid Hayspur?) Devil Creek Reservoir(location?)
[signature]
The different strains have different spot patterns and slightly different colors. I'm making an educated guess that the fish are triploids because almost all of the rainbows stocked by the F&G are triploids. If you clean a triploid you won't be able to find any sex organs or very small undeveloped sex organs.
I also use the stocking records when making a guess at the exact strain. Like I said, I might not be correct on the exact strain of each. Some small bodies of water have only had one strain planted in them. After catching numerous planters from different places it becomes easier to make an educated guess on the more common strains the F&G plant.
[signature]