Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody ever use a coleman blackcat or similar heater?
hey all,

going camping and fishing this weekend! anybody ever use a coleman blackcat or similar heater? gonna be cold in that tent and i picked up one of these . . just wondering maybe an ice fishing nut or duck hunter has used one . .???

thanks

sm
[signature]
I have and use a portable coleman. Very nice and compact, but also dangerous. I use in ice fishing and camping in the early season at flaming gorge. You need to make sure every now and again you open up your door and let some fresh air in so you dont die. I really dont like the idea of having it on in a tent just before you go to bed, they say you get tired and fall asleep with it on and theres no waking up from that. So, be careful. They are great litlle heaters that warm up a ice shantee or tent well.
[signature]
hmmmmmmm the picture on the package shows a young girl going to bed in a tent with it on next to her . . . i assumed it didnt give off any fumes at all . . yours stinks some, huh?

sm
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Ice Fishing nut?! Is that the guy who likes flowers and has llamas? [/size][/font][cool]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've got one of those Coleman heaters that supposedly is good for indoor use. They work great, espiecally in a small trailer or tent. I still think I'd turn it off before going to bed. I'm not that confident about their self venting qualities.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Good Luck on your trip![/size][/font]
[signature]
thanks alot mack daddy, thats what i was planning - leave the heater on in the tent from 4pm - 10 pm, then turn it off and go to bed . .

hope im around to give y'all a report sunday night . .

sm
[signature]
[Smile] I have to agree with BLM, I have one of the Catalytic Coleman heaters that I use in my ice tent and it is for indoor use and it really works very well, one bottle is usually good for about 6-8hours. But I would keep a door or window open for added ventalation. Why take the chance.

AFDan52
[signature]
well my tent sure aint tight as a drum, and its got top vents you cant close . . only a fly goes over it . . and i wont fall asleep with it on . . .

thanks alot guys!

sm
[signature]
Not a problem, hate to see something bad happen to a fellow fisherman, Just be careful. AFDan52
[signature]
you would think the first person that died using one they would've pulled it off the market . .. hopefully . . it had absolutely no cautions on it at all . .totally for indor use, so i figure a tent 's gotta be cool . .

sm
[signature]
I use a different brand, can't remember the brand of it off the top of my head, though. It's the one Sportsman's sells for around $90 and it specifically says that it is safe for inside tents, etc. However, I'm extremely skeptical of that. Anytime you burn propane those gasses have to go somewhere. I still suggest venting your tent or ice shack. Open the top (not the bottom) of the door, and walk outside from time to time and breathe the fresh air.
Also, I don't think I would heat a tent or trailer up with it, then just turn it off for the night. Those gasses will be trapped inside until they are vented out.
I did find another heater set-up that I am really interested in. It is made by Zodi, a local company. Basically they mount a propane burner on top of the bottle, then run air across that through something that looks similar to a metal dryer vent hose. After the air passes over the burner, you run the hose into your tent. Since the burner is outside the tent, and the burning gasses aren't inside the hose, I think this would be much safer.
You can check them out on their website at zodi.com. You might even be able to call their local warehouse. It is somewhere near Sportsman's in Midvale.
[signature]
supposedly since theres no flame theres no carbon monoxide . .

sm
[signature]
if the thing really puts out a lot of heat , id just leave my top of the tent and side flaps totally open . . . and run the thing all night long . . .

sm
[signature]
IceFishingGod................not nut. I don't need no stinkin heater, because, "I get hot when it gets cold". And its "Likes Llamas, has flowers." And when I do get the Llamas I'm changing my screen name to (Packin my butt way back in on Bolder Mountain and catching 7 pound brookies like they were perch at Echo God). Because that what the voices tell me to do. Although, come to think about it that might be a little too long.

IFG - not IFN, thats my invisible friend.
I used one last deer season up at the Gorge with no problems. Even in the tent with my wife. I did open the bottom of the tent door and the top of the tent is a huge mesh with only a rainfly to keep the wet out. If the tent didn't have such good ventilation I would never have used it inside! We even fell asleep with it on one night and are still here to tell the story.
[signature]
thanks for the feedback ruger . .!

[Smile]

sm
[signature]
Hey Southernman,

Got some good info for you. I worked in HVAC for 6 years, so I know a little about Carbon Monoxide (CO). Any type of hydrocarbon fuel puts off gases. In theory, with complete combustion, all you get is water and CO2, both safe and non-toxic....however we are at an altitude that does not have the oxygen content for complete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels. Yes the catalytic based heaters (BlackCat and Mr Heater) are more efficient, but if you read the directions they will specifically state that you should not go to sleep with them on. However if you have proper ventilation there is no worry. CO has no affinity for high or low places, it doesn't concentrate in a specific area of an enclosed space, so being down low or up high makes no difference. So, here is what I do, I have a CO detector (you have to modify these to accept a battery....at least I have not seen one that is battery operated...and just lay it in the tent/camper with you. This will keep you safe, and they last a little while on the battery. Better to be safe than wake up dead. If you are using it while awake, your first signs and symptoms of CO problems will be head ache and blurred vision. If this happens, turn the thing off and do not use it again. Someone with acute CO poisoning that requires medical attention will need immediate hyperbaric O2 therapy with possible blood transfusion, as CO binds to the hemoglobin in your blood better than oxygen does. (this I know because I work in an emergency dept). Well I've rambled too much, hope this info will benefit anyone who uses those nice little units. I love mine.
[signature]
thats an awesome idea about the co monitor, thanks! i must have one, and you say its tough to find one thats 9v battery operated, huh? hmmmmm wonder how ill manage that . .i dont have the knowledge to go from ac to dc . .. . . .
[signature]
AGAIN THANKS FOR THE GREAT TIP ! I went and picked up one at home depot thats battery powered, im all set now!

yo look out trout, my hands wont be frozen so i can get cha!

sm
[signature]
No problem SM. Just glad to help out. I'm glad they finally have them available that operate on batteries. Years ago when I had to modify mine, you still couldn't get a battery operated one. Defenitely a worthy investment if you use a portable heater inside of a tent/camper.
[signature]