Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake is "really" on fire now! w/pic
Yesterday was an almost unbelieveable day on Bear Lake. Flat calm and not a cloud in the sky. Fished from about 10:30 until 1:00. Did not fish hard since we were filming a segment on the whitefish run and did a lot of interviewing, talking about techniques, etc. We could have easily limited out and anyone fishing for whitefish yesterday did limit out. Some of our fish were pushing 20" long and 2.5lbs! The average size was about 17" and 1.5lbs! I can't believe more people are not taking advantage of this resource. Liberal limits (10 fish), easy fishing (shallow water so no boat required but definitely a plus), with inexpensive equipment (jigs), and no inversion! Both the east and west sides are producing fish around rocky shorelines. We did not average more than three casts without a fish!
[inline "Whitefish Catch 12_4_2006 small.jpg"]a
[signature]
Thanks for the report...
So are you saying that an average Joe like myself and my even lesser average cousin could go to Bear Lake this Saturday and catch fish?

I've been hesitant to go because I didn't know where/how/when to go!
I could possibly be interested in a trip here real soon. I do have a 14' aluminum boat. Where do you launch? How Deep? What lures? etc. etc.
If you don't want to post publicly, please send a pm!
Thanks!
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Scott
sounds like you done very well on your favorite fish. Pic's you had looked good, fish looked in good shape. Hope to see some mac's coming in for some WF eggs. Well good fishing to you; see you this winter if BL freeze's up.

If you know; Talk about it; If not; Shut up![shocked]
[signature]
[cool]BLFG, thanks for the great reports. Question for you (or Sensai TubeDude, for that matter). You say that these whitefish are excellent eating, what would you compare their meat to as far as other fish. I've heard that they are a little oily in texture. How do you like to cook them up, and do you fillet them first, and if so, is their bone structure like trout where they have the extra set of flesh bones or are their bones more like other fish not in the trout family?
[signature]
Thanks for the report Scott. I’ll be up there on Thursday hope to see you on the water to get a few more pointers.
[signature]
[cool][#4040ff]These whitefish are close cousins to trout and have much the same bony structure. Fillet them just as you would a trout, being sure to slice out the row of flesh bones along the upper middle of the fillet.[/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]The flesh is sweet, white and firm...while still fresh. It does not do as well after being frozen. Better to eat it within a day or so of catching...or brining and smoking it as soon as possible.[/#4040ff]
[#4040ff][/#4040ff]
[#4040ff]These whitefish are unique among the many species of whitefish in that they are piscivorous. They eat fish, rather than bugs. From the time they reach about 12 inches, most of their diet consists of the fry of other species...like cisco, trout and other whitefish. That is why they smack small lures so aggressively. And, during the ice fishing season, you can usually catch lots of them through the ice by jigging small spoons.[/#4040ff]
[signature]
That's it...I quit work and I am going to the lake! LOL

My favorite fish and time of year and I am at work!
[signature]
[cool]So, do you have a trip all lined up to nail them from your tube, Pat? If so, I look forward to hear how much fun it was. I'm working on Marriage stuff right now trying save my fambly, but next year I hope to be able to get up there to chase the whities...
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]TubeBabe and I had planned an overnighter...Wednesday and Thursday of this week. But, stuff happens and we had to postpone. She needs to make a run to Texas to help a friend for a few days. Not sure if I will get up there this year either.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I have caught many whitefish over the years, but have released every single one of them. Did not think they were that great. I might have to try some.
[signature]
Its interesting to hears others opinions about the taste of these fish. Personally, I can think of no other fish I would rather eat than a trout out of Bear Lake. However, the whitefish are good eating also but not near as good as the trout.

I must have bad luck lately. I made a quick trip to cisco beach this evening and it was 3-4 foot waves. It was the same on Saturday.
I know the fishing has been good there but it sure wasn't this evening.
[signature]
Do whitefish have the same strong fishy taste as trout? Like licking the slime off a rainbow?
[signature]
[Image: clear_shim.gif]
[size 1]FSh4fun,[/size]
[size 1][/size]
[size 1]No they taste nothing like those stinking catfish and bass, they are much better tasting![/size]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][size 1][/size][/font]
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][size 1]

[/size][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Never tried licking the slime off a rainbow. You really do set some high standards.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I like trout...at least some trout. Like other things in life, some are better than others.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you fillet and skin either trout or whitefish you usually end up with a much "milder" product. As with most species, cooking with the skin on can add to a "fishy" taste.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And, the better you care for your catch prior to the pan, the better the end result. Fillet 'em while they're floppin', rinse the fillets and get 'em on ice. Keep them in a plastic bag and not in water or actually on the ice. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As previously suggested, cook them as soon a possible. Two to three days is about the max. If you freeze them you will not be as happy with the texture, although the taste is not adversely affected if you freeze them quickly and do not leave them in the freezer more than a couple of months. Freeze them either in water or vacuum sealed. Any air remaining next to the fillets will cause nasty-tasting freezer burn...on any fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Come to think of it, I would probably rather lick a rainbow than a largie...or a catfish. Now a real treat would be licking a northern pike. Those are REAL slimers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]