Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellow Fat Cat sale
First off, I would like to thank the party that posted about the Fish Cat BPS $100 sale. I bought one for back up.
Now there is another sale! The Yellow Fat Cat is on a closeout sale for $200.00 with free shipping. Four Seasons Fly Shoppe. I don't know how to post a link so just throw it on a search engine and go to closeouts.
Yellow would not have been my first choice for color but I'm a tight wad.[Smile] I have a couple friends that are on the heavy side and since I ordered one this am, I'll have a ride for them if they want to join me.
I seen a post a while back on an aged float tube. I have 3 Fish Cat#4s for I and the grandsons, + a pair for my son & wife . My oldest #4 tube is over 5 and for some unknown reason, it seems to be the one I take most often. I realize that it is nearing The end of it's normal life but I just can't let go yet. The Outcast logo is all dog eared around the edges and it is now a very light whitish blue. If I get the chance this coming spring, I'll put the whole fleet out at the same time and post pictures. Well, I'm rambling here now so if there are any fellow tight wads out there ,you stand informed.[cool] Mike
[signature]
And what is wrong with yellow. Flygoddess and I happen to like that color. [cool]
[signature]
I was waiting for someone to chime in on that one.[Wink]

z~
[signature]
Nice looking toon there poky-mon.
I have concerns about the bright color spooking shallow fish, but will probably not notice the difference.
I chase the larger bluegill a lot. I do get on some crappie at times but simply love the challange of seeking out the larger gills. There are times when I work close in down the banks. My other tubes are all the standard navy blue and guess I just got used to it .
I've got no doubt I will enjoy the fat cat.
I just went and hopped on the bathroom scale and I'm up to 220 so I just may be outgrowing the Fish Cat#4 .
I plan to take advantage of the information shared here and outfit this one with one of the rod holder set ups. I have avoided this in the past as I often fish in tree tops over 20' to 30' of water.
I'd like to get it outfitted and maybee chase a few catfish also .I've never had a cat larger than 7 1/2 lbs with the tube, but on a 8' BPS Micro-Lite, they are a blast.
The bright yellow may even be a safety plus the very few times I get on heavily boated water. Mike
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]For the most part, you will not have to worry about spooking fish with a bright light craft. Lighter is better against a bright sky than darker colors. Fish are mostly color blind but are very conscious of dark objects overhead that might be predators. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suggest that the efficiency of the "stealth mode" approach to fishing far offsets any potential for spooking fish because of tube color. There are lots of tubers and tooners who appreciate the added visibility of their brightly colored craft on top of the water and do not seem to notice any harmful effects on the fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One thing that fly fisherfolk learn is that fish underwater have a "cone" of vision when they look up through the surface. The closer the fish are to the surface, the smaller the area that they can see above the surface around them. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In most cases you will be outside the fishes' cone of vision with the bright yellow. All you have to worry about is casting your bait or lure into their vision range, and being able to get their interest enough to bite.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
We have never had a problem with the color. We always have good and bad days fishing like evryone else. I don't think the color really effects the fishing. I just got mine this year and Joni has had hers for 3-5 years and she still outfished everyone so I don't think the color really bothers the fish. Also MERRY CHRISTMAS.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Thanks Poky, but I will add that the bottom of our boats are gray, not yellow, plus I am usually throwing the fly around 60 feet to the fish so they will not see my boat, just fly. That is the beauty of stillwater. Rivers I have had to crawl up on. and those are usually right in front, I understand them getting spooked see something moving on shore.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If the bottom of a boat spooked fish, how do you explain all the fish caught by those guys jigging straight down. I am sure they are not real quiet either.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We have the two man and the three man pontoons at the lodge and they creak, rattle, and the oars make a lot of noise and I do feel they effect the catch rate, but they are shallow lakes up there and not real big.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]I do a lot of vertical presentations, in water from only about six feet to as much as 60 feet. A lot of the vertical jigging I do is in water from 12 to 20 feet. I catch a lot of fish right below my tube.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There have been times when fish will actually swim up off the bottom and hang in the shade of my tube. I have caught a bunch of fish over the years by dropping a jig straight down, with only a rod length of line and jiggling it a couple of times to get a strike.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is not only true of silly fish like perch, but trout as well. I have had some good sized trout follow in a retrieve and than hang around my tube long enough to get another cast out and hook the fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]On Pineview Reservoir I once had a huge school of bluegills, crappies and small bass come up out of the top of an underwater tree and surround my tube. All I could see were a thousand eyes. I was imagining the fish saying "Okay guys, on three we pull this guy under."[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I am noticing that more and more. At the lakes at the lodge, a fish gets hooked and a bunch follow. I have heard that they excrete a hormone or theramone (sp) [/size][/black][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]that the other fish key in on.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]At Strawberry the last outing, I saw tons of big fish following the hooked one in. How many of you have caught a fish with your line dangling in the water while you are letting another go?[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sometimes it is a combination of curiosity or competitive feeding, but several species of fish exhibit "follow up syndrome". You bring in a hooked fish and others tag along to see if it will lose what it has munched so they can grab it. Not uncommon to see other fish try to take a fly or lure away from another fish. I have actually caught two fish on one lure a few times, when fishing with hard baits with two or three sets of hooks.

During spawning season, the following is triggered more by the whoopie urge than food. It is fairly common among some species to have several males following a hooked female.

In ocean fishing, dorado/dolphin fish/mahi mahi are well known for schooling up and hanging together. As long as you keep one fish hooked up and in the water, the whole school will stay around the boat. But, as soon as you lose the fish or bring the last one hooked into the boat, they might boogie.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I always see the same thing during the white bass spawn on Utah Lake. 3 or 4 bass will often follow a hooked on all the way to shore.
[signature]