Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Float tube vs. pontoon boat
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I didn't see it in the past several years posts. I did read the 2004 posts on boat selection, however, would like more specific comments.

I have used a float tube in the remote past, a Caddis II, I think it was. Now, a buddy of mine says to heck with the float tube, what I want is a pontoon boat. I live near the slow moving Snake in southwestern Idaho, which means I am also near a number of small, medium, and large reservoirs.

My instincts tell me to pontoon up first, but also to invest in a float tube for hiking excursions, and smaller ponds, and for when I just don't want to lug the pontoon around. For transport, I have a Honda CRV, without a luggage rack or trailer. I know I can easily get a float tube (partially deflated) in there, but not sure about a pontoon boat.

Would appreciate feedback. Also, in a pontoon, is there anything to be aware of before purchasing (e.g. thickness of material, frame design, etc.). I tend to be a moderate minimalist--that is, I like basic things with just enough extras to make them easy to use and convenient, but not to the point that I am better off just owning a speed boat.

I look forward to the replies. I have a potential fishing trip tentatively planned with one of the local legends on this board, in May or June, so would like to be figuring out what to look for in the post xmas bargains [cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]First off, you got to go with what you can transport. I think off the bat you are limited.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Keep in mind, most Pontoons will break down quite small. I have an 11 1/2' X 5' that will break down to 24" X24" X 12". When looking at pontoons, Urithane bladders are the best (with helky (sp) valves) A good PVC cover and most important ALUMINUM FRAME. Laws in most states are at least 8' to float rivers.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Pros and Cons: A float tube (nice one) is going to cost you less and is easier to transport.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Pontoon, more room, sit out of water and you have the movement of flippers, oars and a possible motor (which you will have to license the pontoon if you choose to put a motor on it). Some here will say it is easier to maneuver a tube on the water, I say no it is not (to me)[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]Some will say more wind resistance on a toon, again not to me but that depends on the diameter of the toons.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]I agree if you want to hike in, a tube is the best way. For BIG bodies of water, I won't go out in anything but my Big Pontoon.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]I will say to look at the Scadden Freestyle H3. It is the best of both in a packable tube. 6ft long and light, plus they are coming up with a rowing attachment or paddles.[/size][/blue][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][blue][size 3]It would be impossible for me to say just go with one or the other. I can't. I have my big pontoon, plus a small 4' one(with metal frame and padded seat) and of course a SFC. And I will be adding a H3 to it real soon.[/size][/blue][/font]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Brent...Loco Legend here. Oh, that was local? Well I'm both loco and local.

The goddess of pocket lint has laid out some good stuff fer ya. She is accomplished at both tubin and toonin. She is also a good example of one of my favorite admonitions..."There ain't no laws agin' havin' both a tube and a toon...or more than one of each."

It is usually best to start with one or the other, depending upon the type of fishing you anticipate doing most. For some, that will be packing in to fish remote trout lakes. For others it will be running whitewater. Still others will be fishing for bass or other warmwater species...or even fishing saltwater. Start by getting what suits your style and quarry best.

Coincidentally, I am finishing up writing the chapter on my book dealing with "Choosing a Craft". In that chapter I list the most important factors to weigh during the review and decision-making process. Some of those are personal size and fitness, BUDGET, type of water and conditions expected, species and tackle, various construction features and quality of materials, etc.

Here are the first three paragraphs of that chapter. I will send you the entire chapter to review for me when I complete it in the next few days.

[/#0000ff]
Your ultimate choice of a craft will be a personal thing. Before making the final decision you should solicit input from other tubers and tooners who are knowledgeable and experienced. Although advice from others can be valuable, the final choice needs to be based upon YOUR own wants, needs and abilities. And, a good policy is to try before you buy.
This chapter will at least help identify the factors to consider throughout your evaluation process. Some are obvious. Others less so. For many newbies the budget thing is the major hurdle to becoming properly outfitted. Tubes and toons are less costly than boats, but it can still take a big chunk out of a tight budget to put a decent system together.
Other factors in the review process are mostly related to your personal angling preferences, along with your physical abilities. Equipment and design options are also likely to influence your final decision. So should any limitations you might have for storing or transporting the craft you choose.
[signature]
Now the novices 2 cents .. I went through this very same thing not to long ago. I was fortunate to have a buddy with a toone that he let me borrow for a few sessions. I like both to be honestly. I actually found it a little easier for me to fish out of the tube. However if you had a motor I think I would have had a little easier time the one day when it was windy.
Here are some of the Pros and Cons I thought of both.
Pros: Toone
Sitting a little higher in the water.
Speed in which you can cover water.
The ability to carry a lot of Sh..stuff.
On the very cold days only in water mid calf.

Cons
It was heavy
IF not broken down it takes up a lot of space (I have a pickup)
With the 16" toones I did get blown around more than in a tube
Having to much St...stuff

to the tube
Pros:
Light weight
Compact size, I can be on the water a lot faster.
Can get into tighter areas
A little less expensive (if you have waders all ready)

Cons
Do not get around as fast.
Not the best for Rivers (exception the H3 mentioned above)
you are in some water.

With this being said I went with a Creek Company ODC420 and love it. I am just barley in the water and it is fast, easy to paddle. I liked the one FG recommended but my budget was a little tighter than what that allowed.

But there is the one that is not mentioned and that is the kickboat. Basically it is a small toone that you kick like a tube. I would say it is the Bastard Child of them both.

So in all my ramblings I would suggest if you can possibly try out a few of the different option to that. Than eventually you may have both.

Good luck and Happy fishing.

Majja
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Right you are Majja, we call them pontubes. We have then also, little four foot by 12" diameter toons with a little metal frame and padded plastic seat like the big brothers.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]The ones we have also have the perma bladder (self sealing) but they are a harder plastic nad do not deflate all the way, but at 4' not a problem.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Here is the ol' man in one and he weighs about 220 and is 6'3".[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[inline echo4.jpg]

[inline echo5.jpg]
[signature]