Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Henry's Lake open year-round?
My bro and I are gonna hit the Henry next year early June. Unless it's open year-round then we will hit it in early may? Thanx-
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Sorry to say, I HOPE not. I am not crazy about the open 24 hour deal, let alone year round. Too presious of a Lake and a lot more fragil than the F&G are giving it.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Hey thanx, FG -I just read a post that I thought they said sumthin about ice fishing HL. We have several lakes here in COLO. and WYO. that are similiar in type to HL i.e.-fairly shallow and weedy with stupendous growth rates. Trout grow 1.5" per month. I enjoy the stories and pics you have posted- we can't wait till june! Later-
[signature]
How do I get the pic smaller? Thanx-
[signature]
Try resizing the picture to 500, then delete this one and re-post it.
Lake Naughton has some monsters.
[signature]
Sounds like you already know the answer to your question but I will clarify it for anyone else who reads this. Henry's Lake is closed until Memorial Day weekend.
[signature]
Hey Brian-you seem to know your way around HL. If we make it up there it'll be the first week of june. Maybe see ya there.
[signature]
I'd like them to open Henry's to ice fishing. No need to close that lake down in the winter. If'n its as good as they say it is it should be able to handle some pressure on the ice. Those big fish don't make it through the winter anyway thats a fact that the IDFG admits all the time. We need to start lobbying fish and game to open it up to ice fishing years and years ago it was open I seen old school pictures of guys on the ice at Henry's. TIme to open that puppy up for the coldfooters.
[signature]
My impression of Henry's has been that there aren't that many productive fish in there, and those big fish do make it through the winter. If it gets heavy pressure all year, I think the population decrease would be noticeable. That's just my opinion.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I am with you on this one bdn06. I don't live in Idaho right now, but I will be moving back in future years. I will do everything in my power to keep it from opening year round and sorry, specially to ice fishing. I agree the fish do live through the winter, they don't get that big in just one year.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It is truly a fantastic blue ribbon fishery, and I think it could be destroyed real easy. I am not crazy about the change they did for 2006, but it is too early to see if it will have ill effects.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I just say "if it ain't broke, don't fiddle with it!"[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Yep, agreed.

And you should have more time to fish it this year, since you have one less vise [Tongue]
[signature]
Liprippa

There was a huge post about a month ago titled "Longer Season" you should take a look at as this issue was already rehashed and no need to go into it again.
[signature]
bdn06, let me know when you get it, it went out yeasterday, but with the holiday, it might take a while.
BUMP![Wink]
[signature]
Flygoddess,
Thanks! I'll let you know.
[signature]
Don't know why you all have such a tough time with the ice fishermen. Henrys wouldn't go in the tank if they opened to ice fish'sermen. The enemy at Henrys is the drought and the ID Fish and Game. Drought is the thing that puts Henrys down.
[signature]
I don't have a tough time with the ice fishermen. Not at all. I just have a different opinion than you do of Henry's lake, that's all. If they opened it to ice fishing, would you find me parading around the lake in protest? Not a chance. It's just for that particular body of water, I feel a bit differently is all. To each his own, as long as we fish, eh? [cool]
[signature]
Hi Lip

Damon Keen is one of the very best fish and game guys around. He has done a superb job in managing the lake and getting the lake back into shape. I have worked close with he and the biologist Dan Garren. Both are really super guys and really have the lakes interest at heart. Maybe not as passionate as mine but close Smile They do honestly listen and take into account all sides. What more can anyone ask for. It's always easy to dog out on the F&G but Not founded in this case at all.

I have a different opinion on the late season ice fishing on Henrys Lake. The fish & game know I disagree and why I disagree but still I respect their opinion as they do mine. I also have some really close friends who ice fish and would love to see year round on Henrys. We have had some lively debates on the issue. Who would want to live with everyone thinking the same. I'm simply against it for various reasons as explained in a previous thread. I also was quoted in the local paper from information I shared in here so I assume there are many who know I disagree but most won't take the time to find out why.

If you really want to know both sides of the issue give me a call or shoot me an email.

laters
[signature]
I just wanted to second my support for the F&G at Henrys. Damon is a wonderful example of how the F&G should be and how they should deal with the public. He takes a lot of time to inform the public on what is going on at Henry's and I feel like he is about as good as they get. The Fish and Game is not the enemy at Henry's lake.

Windriver
[signature]
I will also step up and say the F&G is currently doing a good job of managing Henry's Lake.
Liprippa,
I would agree that precipitation is a major factor that affects how good future fishing will be. Many fishermen don't realize how big of an impact rain/snow has on the quality of future fishing.
I think it would be fun to ice fish Henry's but at the moment do not think the F&G should extend the season.
[signature]
Liprippa (quote)
[font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Post:[/size][/black][/font] [font "Verdana,Arial,Helvetica"][black][size 1]Don't know why you all have such a tough time with the ice fishermen. Henrys wouldn't go in the tank if they opened to ice fish'sermen. The enemy at Henrys is the drought and the ID Fish and Game. Drought is the thing that puts Henrys down.
[/size][/black][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I have nothing against ice fishing, I don't do it but I can see the attraction.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I agree with bdn06 and Tybugs, [#ff0000]NOT THIS LAKE[/#ff0000].[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]My first concern on this is trying to bring a 28" to 34" Hybrid through that hole, let alone trying to put one back in the quest for something a little bigger and I can't help but feel that would happen.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I was born and raised in Idaho so I know that there are several other big bodies of water that are open to ice fishing, that I personally do not feel that Henry's belongs on that list.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]If you are taking my feelings as a negative toward ice fishing it is certainly not directed there. As said before, "to each their own" or as I say "a butt for every seat".[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]