Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with timing....(Utah Question)
Help! I have stalled the wife as much as possible, and the latest I can "postpone" our trip home (Utah County area) is Easter (Very early April). I need to know where (and if) it would be sane to expect to do any float tubing during this time (based on typical Utah thaws - which I am about 15 years removed and was not a floater at the time). I know that the ice may still be hanging around the big trout retreats. I know my 1st option (hike, camp and float Silver Lake) does not really happen until late May early June [Sad][Sad] But will I be able to not freeze to death on Utah Lake? Or Jordanelle?

As for my range - my parents live in Midway (now) and my wifes parents live in the Lehi area. So I will be able to cover some ground, and am looking to spend about 2 FULL days float tubing....But I am asking mainly because I am going to have to fight for the cubic feet of space in the van for the trip for my arsenal -- and don't want to go there if it is 2 early in the year 2 be feasable.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

P.S. -- T.D.: I can not wait for the book

P.P.S. -- "Tubebabe in the fog" is still decorating the background of my laptop screen.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]First off, I got to say, you know Utah. If you don't like the weather...give it a minute[Wink]
That is a hard call, cause we have been having single digit days for weeks now. It could warm up, but then again?![crazy]
You are going to have to wait till your due date gets a little closer.
There is a good chance that Jordanelle or Deer Creek could be ice off.
I know you want to tube, but keep in mind that the Provo is there.
You might have to think lower elevations like Grantsville or Utah Lake. Maybe even Tibble which is on your way to Lehi.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
Yea -- I know it is a crapshoot this early in. (I am not much of an ice guy - so I am dreaming the time away right now [Tongue]

Born and raised in Utah until I was 24 -- so other than the insane influx of people and businesses, I am pretty familiar with the lay of the land. As long as I have a good chance to get on Utah Lake -- I may be OK Smile I remember fishing from the bank every day as a kid, and the boat of course....But since tubing is a "new method" for me, this will be the first time back home with the tube.
[signature]
Dusty,
Where do you live now?
[signature]
[reply]
Dusty,
Where do you live now?[/reply]

Omaha, NE.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Jordanelle and Deer Creek hoth capped this past week. They should both be at least partially "tubeable" by March. If not, the walleye usually start showing up at varous spots around Utah Lake...different every year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Blanket statement: Bring your tube and stay tuned to the local reports just before you come to help plan your venue. Also, let me know where you will be and we can hook up for some cool tubin'. I launch somewhere every month of the year.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad you still like the pic of TB. When her younger sister saw that picture (and several more of a similar nature) she just shook her head and muttered something about "Sure glad it doesn't run in the family".[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Have you tubed quite a bit around there? Species? Compared to the west?
[signature]
[reply]
Have you tubed quite a bit around there? Species? Compared to the west?[/reply]

Everything here is pretty cookie cutter. They do stock trout in the late fall -- but there is nowhere around here where the water is cold or deep enough to sustain them year around.

Most of the year we chase Bluegill, LMB, Crappie and "everyones favorite" the trifecta of the catfish family -- channel's, blues and flathead's.

Most of the waters around here are what people from Utah would refer to as "ponds" -- but the people here insist on calling them lakes. The bad news is that they are small, the good news is that they are many - and the stocking programs are top notch.

It is a great place to teach kids to fish, and have them not get discouraged. (On most days if you are using nightcrawlers it feels like you are cheating Smile

Some of the waters here are bigger than ponds - but still smaller and more shallow than what I would like.

However, the size of the waters and the relativly small numbers of people on the waters makes this an ideal place for float tubes. I just purchased my first float tube in May of 2006 -- and upon many peaceful and successful trips in the few months since then, have since purchased an ODC 420, and I am so hooked/addicted to float tube fishing now - that it almost seems like a waste to do it any other way....

We usually get back to Utah twice a year, but last year was an exception -- and this will be my first trip back since I got into floating.
[signature]
Thanks for the reply [cool]
It sounds like it's pretty good! I am gearing up to purchase the same tube you have. The last time I tubed was years ago and I had a Caddis II or III, whatever it was back then. I finally got over my habit of having to fish for trout only, and it has really expanded my enjoyment of fishing. Though I fished for white bass and crappie when I lived in Arkansas years ago, I have pretty much gone after trout exclusively since moving back to my home in the west. Now, however, having moved back home to Idaho, but this time in the sw area, I am ready to hit the waters for 'gills, smb, lmb, crappie, cats, and especially perch. I can't wait until the water warms up! Again, thanks for the reply. It's good to know that no matter where you go, you can almost always fish for something [Smile]
[signature]
[reply]
Hey Dusty aka GenericAngler its nice to see a familiar "face" over here I go by Frosch on the Nebraskafishingforum.com. I have to say I resemble your comment about the people around here calling the ponds lakes.[Smile]Along with the species Dusty listed we do have some trout streams and few lakes in western NE that have trout also. Walleyes, wipers and pike are also around for the taking. Dusty we should try to get out sometime and you can laugh at me going in circles since the only place that I have sat in my new tube is in my basement.

Whoops that was me that posted as the Guest above I did not realize that I was not logged in.[crazy] [/reply]
[signature]
[reply]
Whoops that was me that posted as the Guest above I did not realize that I was not logged in.[crazy] [/reply]
[/reply]

[cool][cool][cool][cool][cool][cool]

z~
[signature]
I purchased an ODC420 in the fall and love it!!! And there is always hope for the Berry to be free of ice, you never know.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]We call that "having a Zonker moment".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad to have you guys chippin' in from your part of the country. You live in a prime tubin' zone back there. Float tubes and ponds (small lakes) are natural go-togethers.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I know what to call it when I do it again. I have my eye on certain public sand pit that has no boat access and only 1 shoreline accessible from the bank. It is completely catch and release with the bass so there are some bigguns in there. The tube will work perfectly to get me to the very underfished side of the pond. And of course "the fishing is always better on the other side of the pond" right.
[signature]
Fishheiser,

I have a couple of those spots (farm ponds mostly). What part of NE do you live in? Maybe we can get together and try to chase them down.

The farm ponds and city "lakes" were the main reason I finally purchased a tube. Even the cows could not get to the "other side of the pond". Big bass over there indeed.

Tubetude: I would love if you could show me some tricks on Utah Lake. I will feel like a small fish in a big pond when I get there, that's for sure.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]One of the things I try to get across to tubin' newbies is to not be intimidated by larger lakes. You don't have to fish a whole lake in one day. Break it up into small parts and it becomes several small lakes, each with its own personality and potential.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That is definitely the case with Utah Lake. There are about 8-10 easy access (for tubes) spots that have good fishing potential. And, these can be different during different times of the year. The better you know the lake and the species it offers the greater the chance for success.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]When you get here there should be a half dozen good spots to try, for several different species. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Smaller lakes are often easier to fish simply because there is less habitat for the fish and they are easier to find and catch. In larger lakes the old "90/10 rule" kicks in. 90% of the fish will be in only 10% of the water. That makes it tougher to find and catch them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'm in Omaha. Louisville #2 is what I was thinking of. I would like to try and meet up with ya, it would be nice to have someone else to tube with.
[signature]
[reply]
[cool][#0000ff]We call that "having a Zonker moment".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]

[cool]It's nice to see someone else "zonked" once in awhile.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You set the standard. All others are only imitators.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[laugh][laugh] OBG stop lurking and join in!!!!!
[signature]