Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newport Trip
Hi Oregonians,

I'm planning a trip up to Newport, OR on Feb. 8-10th. I'm actually going to an interview for medical school at OHSU in Portland, so hopefully I'll get accepted and move to your fine state.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to catch rockfish/ling/etc. from the docks and/or from the jetty? I've heard of a lot of folks pulling them in off of the Newport docks, but since I've never tried it before, I probably need a lot of help to have any chance. Bait? Techniques?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

FishHungry
[signature]
Just checking if I can post a picture from Newport.

[Image: img-20210204-154238-burst003-jpg.jpg]
(02-13-2021, 11:15 AM)Piker Striker Wrote: Just checking if I can post a picture from Newport.
Cool fish pic what kind of fish is that? By the way welcome to the site.
(02-13-2021, 02:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Cool fish pic what kind of fish is that? By the way welcome to the site.
Thank you!
I believe Buffalo Sculpin, but I'm not sure. )
(02-13-2021, 07:02 PM)Piker Striker Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 02:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Cool fish pic what kind of fish is that? By the way welcome to the site.
Thank you!
I believe Buffalo Sculpin, but I'm not sure. )
I have caught freshwater Sculpin and that is what it looked like but I googled Buffalo sculpin and I think you are correct:

http://www.elasmodiver.com/Fish%20Pictur...in_004.jpg
Did you catch it?
(02-13-2021, 07:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Did you catch it?

I'd love to. )
A member of my forum did.
(02-13-2021, 08:26 PM)Piker Striker Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 07:17 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Did you catch it?

I'd love to. )
A member of my forum did.
I'm sorry but links to competing forum are not allowed.
(02-13-2021, 10:06 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I'm sorry but links to competing forum are not allowed.

Understandable.
Would it be ok, if I reply to fishhungry with a link to a thread with answers to his question?
(02-14-2021, 01:29 PM)Piker Striker Wrote: Would it be ok, if I reply to fishhungry with a link to a thread with answers to his question?
No, links are not allowed for new members with less than 15 post. We have found over the years that spammer are generally new members with less than 15 total post. Once you have exceeded 15 post you are allowed to post links as long are it is related to a question or to help another member but never for advertisement, unless you pay for the right to advertise here. After all, that is how this site generates income, if it gave it away for free that would not be fair to those that do pay to advertise on this site.
Gotcha. Thanks!