Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing spots
Does any one have any good fishing spots on mead or mojave that is productive this time of year? Im planning a trip out in a couple of weeks.
[signature]
The Las Vegas Wash is a place you can get some fish all year long. This time of the year is slower than the rest. Try in the wash about 40 to 70 feet of water. Chum with corn or cut bait. Fish will be on average 1 to 1.5 lbs. But there are larger ones out there. You can also troll and cast trout looking lures by the trout plant areas if you are going to try for a big one. Hope this helps.

Striper Craze
[signature]
Thanks!
[signature]
Striperhunter...if you don't mind fishing on the AZ side of Lake Mead, I highly recommend you take a look at my posts from October and December of 2006. My posts give you the exact locations of great fishing areas for stripers. I prefer the AZ side because of the minimal boat pressure.

BaySport is the expert on Vegas Wash, Hole 33, and other areas in the Boulder Basin. These are all on the NV side of Mead. If you're interested in the great fishing spots near Temple Bar Marina, AZ, I can post satellite images from googleearth.com that will show you the exact areas to fish. The key, however, is night fishing. Say from 7 p.m. to 2 p.m. The fishing is excellent. My best success has always come from anchovy cut bait, and casting it out on light line and reeling it in slowly so the bait is about 10 -15 feet below the water surface.

Please let me know if you want more info on the AZ side of Mead.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
This is a birds eye view of the Temple Bar Marina in AZ. Once you arrive at the marina, look for signs (or simply ask - people are extremely friendly there) that direct you to Heron Point. You have to travel on a paved dirt road for a couple hundred yards to reach Heron Point. When you reach the fork (one goes up, the other goes down), take the road that goes down. There's a large dirt area where you can park. From that point, follow my markers to the point where you reach the lake. Take the trail that I've laid out. You don't want to travel along the lakeshore because there's a lot of thick mud and tall dirt walls. Once you reach the point, look for a man made pier. A few friends and I built a pier a few years back made of large rocks and mud. Depending on the water level, it may be completely exposed or submerged. I suspect that it will be visible. The pier's length is about 10 feet. Use the pier to fish from. Your casts should be parallel to the pier. Using the pier as a watch hand, you should cast from 12:00 to 2:00. There is some action from 2:00 to 4:00 but the stripers congregate around the 12:00 to 2:00 marker more.

For best action, use 6-8 lb line with a rig that will allow you to put one lead ball bearing weight (1/8 of an ounce) with about 6 inches of line from the weight. Connect that line to a no. 2 hook, and use frozen cut anchovies. Got to be frozen or closed to frozen because you'll lose the bait if it's too thawed during the cast.

THE KEY is to start fishing right when the sunsets. Just keep casting till they come. If you don't get immediate action, chum the waters with "CRUSHED" anchovies. Turn into a puree and throw it parallel to the pier. I guarantee you action all night. I've never been disappointed yet. There have been a couple times where we've gone out there later in the night, and it takes a while for the stripers to find us but once they do, the action is on. I find that the chumming and propane lantern attracts the stripers to us. If you want catfish, set up a rig that'll keep the bait about 6" off the lake floor. Cast 25-40 feet from shore at 2:00 - 4:00. There are some really big cats there so make sure you use heavier line for them.

Well, good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. Mind you, this is just one spot that you can reach from land. I have plenty of other spots that you can reach by boat. The thing though is you have to be willing to fish at night. Day fishing is extremely slow but once that sun goes down....Bam.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Here's a closer view of the trail to my fishing spot.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Thank you, but i have a boat and i have a feeling the fish are in deeper water. But when they move in close to shore I will check it out right now im going to stick to las vegas wash.
[signature]