Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 2-3-2007
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]Hooked up with Joyride this morning and we ice fished The Bear today. We took off on snowmobiles about 7:45 am and headed south. Our first stop was 80 ft of water off the Sweet Water Trailer Park. First drop we hooked up on an 8 lb mack. This had the makings of a good day. We saw fish and had a few bites but nothing more for the next hour. [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3] [/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]BLFG was about a 1/2 mile from us and came over on his snowmobile. We were talking and I hooked up. Ended up being a nice 5-1/2 lb cutthroat. Hey, theekillerbee, look at the beef on this cutt! That fish is wider than my shoulders and I'm not a little guy! Strawberry cutts are snakes! LOL! He was a nice fish.[/size][/black][/font]
[center] [inline BL_cutt_2-3-2007.JPG][/center] [center]5-1/2 lb cutt from Bear Lake[/center] [center] [/center] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We fished for another hour and only caught another smaller cutthroat. We hooked up with BLFG and fished for another hour but the place was barren. BLFG headed home but Joyride and I headed north.[/size][/black][/font][/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [/left] [left][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]We made one finally stop north of the rock-pile and hooked on a mini mack before heading out. Good day on the Bear. There is 10" to a foot of ice with about 2" of snow on the ice. Access to the shoreline is wide open.[/size][/black][/font] [/left]
[signature]
Now that's what a cutt is supposed to look like! One day I just might make it up to the Bear.
[signature]
Thanks for the report Rich. I might head up the end of next week.
[signature]
That is a dandy fish Rich. How many did you end up catching today????? Glad the Bear treated you with a few fish. I'd imagine it will pick up when the cisco get "processed" and returned to the bottom of the lake.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I caught 4 fish today and lost one. Can't complain too much. One was 8 lbs and the other was the cutt. Fishing wasn't hot at all but I sure like fishing the Bear.[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][/size][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]People forget that the BL whitefish spawn in two weeks. Just when the cisco stop spawning, the dang Bear Lake whitefish spawn.[/size][/font]
[signature]
Nice looking Cutt Rich ,there sure has been a bunch of nice cutts cought this year great report! M.H.
[signature]
man, thats a good lookin cut. that thing could probably eat the last 4 fish ive caught!!!! good goin'
[signature]
[cool]VERY nice cut, BLM. That's what the cuts at Pyramid Lake in Nevada are shaped like, but darker colors usually. Nice job. Any pics of that 8lb mack?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]No pics of the eight pound mack. It was the very first drop and everything was stll packed tight in the sled . Joyride tried to take a pic with his camera but the cold had killed his battery beside an 8 lb mack is nothing to jump up and down about. On the other hand, I had BLFG dig out my still camera for this cutt.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
That is a beautiful Cutt Rich! It's amazing that it is the same cutt found in the Berry. They look nothing alike. Is that due strictly to the water?
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]It's all environment. Stained water can definitely influence a fish's coloration. Bear Lake fish are very light in color because of it's very clear, unstained water. Even the macks are that way. Gorge macks are very dark and have pronounced colors whereas Bear Lake fish have more subtle, "washed out" tones. The molting on a BL lake trout is almost turquoise in color. They are pretty cool.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]
I have caught a couple, from each place, and have noticed the same thing. Bear Lake water is some of, if not the most, beautiful water I have seen. [Smile]
[signature]
looks like you had a blast at the bear. nice looking fish.
thanks for sharing.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"]As Rich said the fishing wasn't red hot, but it was consistent. I got out about 30 minutes after Rich and was about 1/2 mile south of them. I fished 74' feet of water and on my very first drop I hooked a 4 lb mack. Bonked him on the head for Superbowl snack and then missed two other hits. I caught one 2 lb cutt and kept that one too. The fishing really died off after about noon. Should have got out earlier, but with temps at -12 at 7:30 am made it too tempting to put another log on the fire and stay home until the sun hit the ice. The whitefish are just starting to be caught in numbers on the rockpile and the rockpiles north of the marina. Next weekend it should be getting a lot better and will stay good for another several weeks.[/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][/#800000][/font]
[signature]