Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lake powell in feburary
Went out last tuesday, trolling up around lone rock without much luck, not even one strike. but the weather was great and it was good to get on the lake again, we had the lake all to our selves. Dad and tom used green long tailed grubs with hula skirts and i tried every deep diving shad or trout looking thing in my box not one strik. There have been reports of stripers being taken from the docks and across the lake from waweap marina and scatered reports of waleye. The water temp is still at 45 deg. and the fish we did see were holding at 45 to 55 feet, will try again next week, here fishy,fishy,fishy
[signature]
Hi and Welcome to the BigFishTackle message boards. Thank for sharing your report with us. We all know that some days they bit and others they don't. That's why we call it fishing and not Catching.

Have you ever tried Anchovies for the Stripers?? That is one of their favorites. You can use the salted ones or fresh/frozen. They really like them.
[signature]
I'm with TubeN2 on this one. I know it's not as challenging but I love using anchovies for great results. What I do sometimes is chum some anchovies and then use cut bait for a while, then once I know a school of stripers has gathered around me, I start casting poppers or trout lures.

Good luck next time.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Thanks i'll give e'm a try. Going out this afternoon see ya there
[signature]
Hi Mark,

How did you do? I have never fished Powell before but I've seen some pics, and I must say Powell looks beautiful. Unfortunately, I live in LA so that would be a pretty long trek for me. I usually go to Mead, and I love it there. However, I wouldn't mind trying out a new lake. I would really appreciate you posting some pics of Powell, if possible. Thanks!

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
didn't get past the last bouys when we had engine trouble and had to turn around[Sad] so we didn't even get to wet a line. we did see some big fish on the graph though most were between 40 to 60 feet with a few on the bottom at 120 feet. I'm a san fernando valley transplant myself. late spring and early fall are best with summer being ok. will post some pics for ya'll, C'ya later here fishy,fishy,fishy,
[signature]
Man, that's a bummer. Hope you get the motor fixed soon. I can't say that I blame you for moving. I'm really getting tired of LA. In fact, I've been applying for jobs down in Irvine and Newport Beach. I like it a whole lot more than LA. There's just something about the people in LA...and I'm not saying it's good either. I know the Valley is not the same as LA but heck, I choose Powell or Mead any day over Cali. It gets harder and harder for me to leave Mead whenever I go there.

Yeah, late spring and early fall is best at Mead, too. I won't go to Mead any later than Memorial Day weekend. It just gets way too hot. I prefer October myself. The weather is perfect then. Anyway, best of luck on your next fishing trip, and I look forward to seeing your pics. Also, would you mind describing some of the terrain you see there? Thanks Mark!

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Wow. This is a small world. I have been in the SFV since 82. That's becuase I left some other screwed up place.

I was pretty much born and raised in Cali. I can't say that I grew up here only because I refuse to grow up. ha ha

The anchovies are pretty much the fall back bait. When the stripers are in a little shallower I like to throw diving Rapalas or Rattle Traps.

The big boys require the Hudlestons to get them going.[cool]
[signature]
It's good to see that there are still decent people in the LA area. Too bad, we don't have any good lakes to fish in Southern Cal. I've fished them all, and none compare to the lakes North or East of here.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
Thanks for the compliments. I strive to help make the world a better place, one fisherman at a time.

I only have 1 good lake within reach of me. That is Castaic Lake. I have been fishing it for close to 20 years. There are some good fish in it. Nice trophy LMB and some hawg stripers.

How long ago did you leave SoCal??
[signature]
I'm actually still in So Cal. I'm just moving from LA to either Irvine or Newport Beach. I've fished Castaic several times and I've never caught a striper there. I don't understand it. Anchovies...trout lures...nothing. I guess I just wasn't fishing in the right places.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]
I'v only fished castaic twice while I was in LA, didn't catch a thing but i worked a LADWP job at the hydroelectric plant between Castaic and piramid and after work we caught several 8 to 10 pounder stripers right by the dam. The lake and all the srounding land are owned by LADWP and closed to public use but if there in there then there in piramid and castaic. If you can get to the canals that feed into the lakes you might give them a try. I'v had good luck fishing the canals that feed from lake pleasent into phoenix when i lived there
[signature]
It is hard to understand why the Stripers behave some days and hide on others.

I have areas for the Big Dawgs and then I have other areas for the tiny Tims that put the hurt on the 12lb test in about 30ft of water. The small ones are the tiny 4 to 15lb ones. They are every bit deserving of respect.

The lake is a little low right now but they are finally done with the maintenance. We should have a good year for the Stripers. I will let you know when they are ready and we can hit it up some day.
[signature]
Yes, please let me know if fishing conditions improve there. I might try it out there again but I'm really doubtful. I've fished there several times, and I didn't get a single bite. Maybe you might have a couple tips for me.

Best regards,

Paul
[signature]