Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello is anyone out there fishing?
Given that there have been a couple of specific threads that turned out to be "notorious" of late on BFT, in that some specific regular posters were publicly assassinated, I can understand the view of the leery readers. Forums are an interesting format. I have participated in many over the years. I have even set up and moderated a few of my own. I will speak from my experience in responding here. On the forums I have set up and moderated over time, I can draw some conclusions. They are:
[ul][li]When they are first set up it is exciting to join and see who else joins. You build some on-line friends!
[/li][li]Topics receive random success. Keep your post title general and you may have a good healthy discussion going.[/li][li]It is my take that forums that I have set up are successful as long as the posters are mostly from out of the area. Even out of state, usually.
[/li][li]I never had significant success with posters who were buddies or were from right in my own backyard so to speak.[/li][li]It seems that fishing reports are always of interest to the reader, but, that's about it.[/li][li]I have learned to never expect others to share much about local fishing waters. On BFT, there are a few exceptions to this rule! However, there is a lot more knowledge that is tucked away that for some reason us fishers think need to be kept close to the source for fear that tomorrow we will wake up and all the fish in the local lake or stream have disappeared. The honey hole, super fly or super lure, or the golden technique has been discovered by all and fishing forever is gone. Sad, but, true.
[/li][/ul]Personally, Wind River, I think that most of todays fishers take the whole scene just way too serious. I used to be an avid stillwater fly fisher and fly tyer. The key there is used to be! It's my opinion, and my opinion only, that the media, manufacturers, dealers, shops, etc. have made fishing way more than it needs to be. I realized that I missed something along the way. It is fun to toss a worm now and then. It's fun to cast a Rapala to a brown hugging the bank, or just sitting on shore watching the grandkid's bobber dancing in the drift. I appreciate your thoughts and hope I have not wandered to far off topic with my response. I just hope that I can find a way to share more of my fishing fun with others I come in contact with either through my blog site or on the water. Fishing should be fun and a special time for the angler and the fish. It is just not rocket science or meant too be "classified" information. You can bet when it is my time to go up around the bend in life, I will not carry the load of a vest full of fishing secrets.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Hello is anyone out there fishing? - by windriver - 02-14-2007, 03:53 AM
Re: [windriver] Hello is anyone out there fishing? - by EagleEyes - 02-14-2007, 05:11 AM