Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake today
Hooked up with Elkoholic and Joyride today off the rockpile a little ne in 85-90' of water. Had a lot of hits early on and a few throughout the day. Hooked up on about 7 fish between the three of us but the only fish landed was a huge sucker i caught about 2:30. Foul hooked right behind the dorsal fin and i though i had a huge mack on. Atleast not a skunk. Most hits were deadsticking right on the bottom. Ice is in great condition but will have some slush with some warmer weather. We walked by 3 open bubblers today. Scary.
Now for the real story..... Joyride got his truck stuck before he got to the beach and finally got it out after breaking the ice with a handyman jack. That started off a downward spiral of bad luck.[shocked] He rode his sled out to meet us and we bs'd for a bit while his flooded sled aired out. About 20 minutes passed and he tried to start it again. It sputtered once and the second pull the throttle stuck wide open and took a joyride all by itself. It was a good 45 seconds before we heard the crash and the sled die after hitting a fence, flipping into some cedar benches, shattering them and sending pieces through some single pane windows. Not a good way to start the day. Thankfully noone got hurt, but i think Joyride is in the market for a new sled.[Wink] Quite the eventful morning. After he picked up what was left of the sled and his gear that was strewn all over he came back out to fish with us. He had some heavy hits but couldn't stick any. He moved over to the pile to try for some whities but we couldn't see if he did any good.
Great to finally meet you and i hope your day went better after that.[cool]
[signature]
I woke up late for work, doesn't seem so bad now. You know what they say though, a bad of of fishing....
[signature]
OUCH! Too bad about the sled, and too bad you guys couldn't tie into any mac a doos.
[signature]
The Bear is always a little unforgiving and never has been very good to me, but today was ridiculous! Oh well. All I could say was Sh*t happens and go back to fishing. I'm happy not much damage was done to the house I hit from a mile away. Anyone need any parts from a '94 Ski Doo? lol
[signature]
Don,
I saw you getting ready to head out yesterday morning and thought about stopping to talk, but I was jealous that you were fishing and I had to work so I waved and drove by. This is after you must have got stuck. Anyway, when I was back in the office one of the state park rangers came over to show me some pictures of a snowmobile that hit a house. I looked closely at the little screen on the back of the digital camera and I immediately recognized you sled. I asked if it was you. He confirmed that. WOW.....dude that was wild. If you want, I'll send you the pics if I can get them from the park ranger? Glad to hear your gear was ejected before the impact! That really sucks and I envy your calm disposition. I'd be going coo-coo bananas if that happened to me!
[signature]
Hey Scott .... I'd enjoy having those pix. I would have taken some myself but my camera was hanging out on the ice with lunkerhunter2 and elkaholic after being ejected from the sled. Busted up my fishfinder/tacklebox rigup, but everything else seems to be intact.
[signature]
If you do get the pictures I would like to see them as well. I'm still amazed at how calm you were through the ordeal! You should get a 15lber next time because you just paid some nasty dues to the fish gods!
[signature]
Maybe BLFG can slide us both copies. I better PM him my email or I won't get any pix.
[signature]
If possible, i would like to see them also. Still can't believe it.
[signature]
Wow Don, that had to get your heart pumpin! Sorry to hear of the damage, but grateful that no one was hurt -- which could have been much worse.
[signature]
Post them so every one can see.
[signature]
Egads! I hope it wasn't my house.
[signature]