Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East canyon 2/21
Fished yesterday,was worried after seeing LH2's 16 ft ladder ice boarding system but wanted one more day and i'm super glad i did.
Getting on the ice was cake from the marina, some good sole installed a ramp on the west side of the boat ramp and my 250lbs fame and sled accessed the ice with no worries. The ice was covered with an inch of hard snow so walking and pulling a heavy sled was easy, fished the second point east up the first arm, in 34' of water and had fish from 20-25 ft every 10-15 min. The marks were bigger and caugth 17 between 12-16 inchs, two footballs at [url "mailto:18@19"]18@19[/url] and two that had to be bigger but broke me off at the hole. Orange ice cutr with orange glow jig head with waxie,small ball of rainbow power bait on the barb with a touch of crawdad scent was the only thing that worked, any thing else more or less would only draw a look and the slimers would look and leave. The bite was light and you had to get them before they took the power bait but the biggest fish from e/c this year for me and few of the planters. the ice in still rock solid at 14+ and the snow covering got a tad slushy when i left at 3pm, wouldn't try it any where else and stay away from the edges but access was good from the marina on 2/21. would of posted pics but we just had a new grandaughter and my wife took the dig cam out of my sled which was ok, because she's way cute.
Horse
[signature]
Glad to hear the access is still non-life threatening. Sounds like a great day. Congrats on the new grand-baby!
[signature]
Welcome to the site Horsefish and thanks for posting your report.
Sounds like you had a good day on the ice, what time did you start fishing? Were there many people out there on Wednesday? WH2
[signature]
WH2
I started at about 9:15, wanted to wait and see if any body else was on the ice. There was a group of older guys there, about eight of them together, they fish every day some where they said and there was two groups by the dam. The edges by the dam were far less receded and there was a good plack also, i thought about starting there but didn't want to take the sled down the rocks. The fishin was best between 10:30 and 2, the schools of bait fish would come though and 6-8 larger bows were near by. I would have my rig with the orange ice cutr( thanks james ) in one hole about 20-25ft, and would jig with a nils henku #35 in fire tiger in my second pole hole, that would draw them into the cone then i would stop and they would hit the cutr every time, but you only got a hit or two at the most. tons of fun if that was it for the year at e/c
Horse
[signature]
What the heck is a "[black] a nils henku #35 in fire tiger"? Why do you think the orange ice cutr work so well? I've heard a couple of people talk about using the orange cutr so I know those trout like them but I'm not sure why. Thanks for the info. WH2[/black]
[signature]
I wonder if it has something to do with the crawdads that are in there?
[signature]
Thats what I was thinking. I don't believe there are perch in EC but that was another thought. Did Shane ever get a hold of you?
[signature]
No, But no big deal
[signature]
WH2
the Nils Hehku jig is a fish shaped jig with tie on at the V of the tail, the back is gold with a lime green glow insert and the the front is painted in various two or three colors, white and blue glow, fire tiger is a three color jig and at the end is an inch gold chain with a small gold hook for bait, it works slick. The jigs are made in finland and are a little pricey at $3.99 A pop but i had a cabelas gift card and saw them at Christmas and took a flyer and they worked great, tried to order more and they were gone. The orange ice cutr i have no explanation for except that with a glow head it shows up earlier in the hole on the way up, also i think the fish have seen white and char all year and maybe thats it, also the white with red flakes was equaly good all year but not wed, the craw sent was just a componant of my "swag " fishin system.
Horse
[signature]
Here is a link to what he is talking about. [url "http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7B8C44CFBC%2D0472%2D44CF%2DA999%2D4B751165D581%7D&i=72BA49AABE52416FAEC282B5D7CAFF56"]http://www.fishusa.com/tackleshop/catalog_product.asp?ProductFamilyID=%7B8C44CFBC%2D0472%2D44CF%2DA999%2D4B751165D581%7D&i=72BA49AABE52416FAEC282B5D7CAFF56[/url]

They are basically a jigging spoon with a lon chain dropper and hook instead of a momo dropper with a tear drop or jig. I have used the white glo blue one tipped with maggots at Mantua and done well for perch and gills.
[signature]
Thanks for the link IP, strange looking jig but it sounds like it works.
[signature]