Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
East Canyon
Fished about 200 yards west of the ramp after using my 16' ladder to get onto even then marginal ice. It was a 20' reach to hit clear ice.
Anyway, drilled the holes after moving a foot of snow out of the area we put the tent. First drop, fish on. Steady but quite a while in between till we left. Used orange ratso's with waxies and salmon eggs. Caught about 10 with the largest going just under 16". Water was 44' and the fish were 15-20' down. Nothing on the bottom all day. Caught one less than a foot under the ice! Tons of deer and turkeys between the dam and Porterville. Saw a huge buck just west of the rangers house. Got some pics but don't know if they will turn out. If they do i will post them tomorrow.
[signature]
Did you access right down the ramp? Still sounds like good fishing.
How thick was the ice?
Ice fishing rule #1 - Always catch fish longer than the ice is thick![laugh]
[signature]
Another nice report Brody. You sure are a brave guy, sound like the ice won't be fishable for much long at this rate. How big was the buck you saw?
[signature]
To the right side of the ramp. The ice wa about 13" on the main lake.
[signature]
I am guessing about 26". He is hanging out just south and west of the ranger house.
[signature]
Lh2
I was there also on 3-1, i was there buy the damn and it was nice to only take a step to get on the ice, lots of drifting snow but the fishin was hot, until i left at 2:30. Iced 26 and had four 16-18 fatties. Fished at 163ft of water,i used an area that a couple of guys that were late for work were using because no boby had been to the ramp because mine were the only tracks and i get a little goosy if there isn't any other groups on the ice so i went back to the damn and the other guys were leaving and i didn't want to pull the sled in that much snow so i fished the easy spot, i was only 30ft from shore and the water was deep ,the good news, the fish were 20-25ft down a there was a bunch on the finder. Used orance ice cutr with orange glow head tipped with a piece of shimp and a dose of crawdad sent. Other than the snow packed in every nuck and cranny the day was dyno, the only other group i saw was a tent on the point up from me, don't know if that was you but kind of a tough day to wander around to say Hi. Ice should be good for a few more days.
Horse
[signature]
That was us in the green QFIII. I saw you and was going to stop but was in a hurry to get on the water. Next time i will stop and say hi.
[signature]
Hey Brody,

My group decided to go up on Saturday Mar 3rd depsite your advice and I should have listened. Me and my buddy corry made it out,but our older friend Chris fell through and got pretty wet. My dad didn't want to try it, and by this time my son was pretty spooked.

Me and Cory went out towards the damn to the second point. ABout 18" of snow hard to pull sled out. Fishing was the best I have seen this year. Hooked up with Bows everytime dropped down green/orange ice fly with shrimp before I could hit bottom. Quit counting at 30 fish each and kept 4 2lb plus bows. I think that was also my last time going unless we hit one more cold spell.

My son chandler, my dady, and chris headed over to Jordanelle for the pirch party. Chandler wrote an essay and ended up winning a super nice ice rod/reel combo all rigged up and ready to fish. He loves so the day turned our wonderfull for them also. Maybe we can hook up one more time before the ice melts.
[signature]
[unsure]hey HORSEFISH, great report. I hate to see winter come and put the boat away. But when the first water is frozen and fishable I get antsy to get out. And when the ice fishing comes to a close I once again hate to see it go. At least you went out with a bang. THANKS
[signature]
I don't know how these turned out but here they are.
[signature]