Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Off the subject!!
I was just wondering if any of you have hunted turkeys?I drew a permit for Cache,it starts 4/3.Shoud I use a call or try a spot and stock?? thanks,"BIG FISH RULE"M.H.
[signature]
well im no master turkey hunter in fact i have never hunted turkey in my life but at hunters ed. we were taught that unless you see the turkey dont stock. just call em in. you should go out the day before and find where the turks. are roosting then the next morning be out in a nearby field before sun up and call a little and then you should get em fast. all thats straight from turkey hunting unlimited a show on the outdoor channel so it cant be too long. hop i could have helped you and if i did and you get a turkey mabye yme and you could exchange some tips for muskie.
[signature]
You lucky, lucky guy. I didn't draw out this year[Sad]. Yes use a call. Hunting Turkeys is a lot like hunting elk with a bow. You get in an area you see sign or would be the ideal hang out pace for them and you start calling them so they give up their location. I would also recommend some light weight decoys. Good luck. Let me know how you do.
[signature]
I have only hunted the Mirriams sub-species on the Zion unit, and I can tell you they are one tough bird to figure out! These critters are more like elk than anything else. I don't know for sure if this is what finally got me a bird, but I was finally sucessful when I got into full camo (including gun), used sent blockers, and was able to sit in one spot for a full 3 hours. Probably the best tip has all ready been given and that is to "put the turkeys to bed". Know where they sleep and be in a good spot before they wake up. Also, don't be afraid to ask local ranchers/farmers or the biologists at the DWR. Many times they know of some great "unknown" places that will hold birds. Good Luck!
Hey MH, not sure where your area covers, but I've seen birds in the meadows just below Hardware Ranch. I've never hunted them, yet, so I really can't tell you any good tactics to use. Good luck when you head out.
[signature]
Muskyhunter,

I live in Cache Valley and have spent some time taking video of them. Maybe I could help you out and give you some information. You can E-mail me @ [url "mailto:huntinmoose@yahoo.com"]huntinmoose@yahoo.com[/url]

Badger
[signature]
i have a few tips that might help ,

scout the area that your going to hunt , if theres a gravel or dirt road near by you should find some tracks in the dirt . they usually return to the same area to ingest some small stones to help there digestion of grains . usually about an hour or two after daybreak and at the same spot before dusk . if you have a lot of oak trees in the area , there should be turks as well they love the acorns , even the half rotted ones from the previous fall .

if you find there roosting spot , usually the highest tree on the highest hill in the area . lots of droppings underneeth , thats your spot to be near , some guys will spook the turks out of there normal roosting spot before dusk the night before the hunt . that way , when daylight shows , they will follow your calls in order to re group . they like to regroup at there same roosting tree and will return to it in the evening as well .

if it is raining , the birds will avoid the tall grass and any small vegitation , they hate walking thru anything wet , but will set on some branches of a downed tree or a fence and get soaked , there not the sharpest tool in the shed . if the ground is damp or it's foggy they will walk the road .

they have the keenest eyesyte there is ! don't underestamate them . eagles see like steevie wonder compaired to them . they love the open feilds , better visual distance for spotting preditors .

if spooked they will hunker right up next to a tree and not move , that is if they don't hit the sky or take off running . there faster than a cyote , they didn't get to be here by being slow . they can literally disappear in a pine tree , you will never be able to find one in there , i've tried !

don't get overanxious in your calling , make that bird come looking for you . you'll be able to see him coming and hear him rather than him seeing you move while calling .

after you shoot one , be careful thoes spurs can slice you faster than a rasor , and thoes wings are strong enough to break your arm . fact !

like deer they will walk parelle to a road about thirty feet in . you can recognise there feeding areas , they look almost like a deer scrape .

the bigger the tracks , the bigger the bird , look for a small line between the claw marks in the dirt , big beard on that bird .

as far as there watering holes , i never have found anything out about that yet .

one more thing , if you enjoy a good butterball turkey , don't eat a wild one . think of the wild turkey as a t-bone steak , and the butterball as a dried hot dog . wild turkey is the best tasting bird i have ever had . and thats a fact .

i hope you get one , real good luck to you my friend . your pal lonehunter
[signature]
Thanks to all of you,my hunt is east of I15 and west of 89 from Id. to sardine canyon, so both river bottoms in cache and box elder,I have seen a couple differnt bunches over around the Newton area last fall.I guess I best get out and do some scouting,but the fishing has been to good!! "BIG FISH RULE"M.H.[Wink]
[signature]
Hey MH, when you fill your tag, I will offer my services to pack out your trophy[Tongue]. In return all I need is s few feathers for fly-tying[cool]. Good luck on your hunt, sounds like fun.
[signature]
Hey MH - the best way to get you a Tom is to put him to bed then at daylight get close enough to get his attention with some yelps and get ready cause he may fly right to ya off the roost. I have also shocked them into gobbling with a crow or owl call while they are on the roost - if there is 2 or 3 toms on the same roost they get fired up gobbling and its usually a race to the hen when they finally hear a hen Smile

As far as being smart like some people say. I think they are about the dumbest thing out there but their eyesite is unbelievable so spot and stalk hunting is about impossible Its easier to find where they are going and ambush them if they will not respond to a call. Camo from nose to toes and being still is a must. A jake and hen decoy work great together - if nothing else they keep his eyes and brain occupied.

Older gobblers that are not occupied with a hen usually have a certain spot they go every day and wait for a hen. Find a gobbler and locate his spot and you have a good chance of getting him if you are patient.

Some genaral rules I also follow are - don't try to call one uphill, across water,ditches or fences. I once had a tom come off the roost and fly right over my head and land just outside of range - across a fence. He stayed there for and hour and would not cross the fence. I got him the next day though when I set up on the fence. Smile

I'll be on Monroe chasin one and my kids can not wait - I have had to wait 4 years for my tag after hunting them every year for the last 15 before that.

Good Luck!
[signature]
I also drew out, my area is up by coalville. WH2
[signature]
[#ff0000]I was in Millville last week and there were about twenty of them in the field across the road from the gas station right off the road! [/#ff0000]
[signature]
hmmm this is amazing. what is up with everyone drawing except me!!!!! i havent drawn in five years straight. good luck everyone.
[signature]
I've been putting in for the south fork area for the last couple of years and this year I changed my area because I found someone who gave me permission to hunt on private property. Northern Utah seems to be harder to draw a permit than the southern part of the state. I've never heard of anyone taking more than five years to draw a permit so I'm sure you will draw next year. WH2
[signature]
hehe you dont know me and the draws in this state. im sure i will be the first you know not to draw more than five years. i just thought it was curious i see all these people drawing out and just wonder what the heck is going on. i had max bonus points as well since it only started two years ago. i put in for the stansbury range the last two years. then tried north fork and utah county southern. oh well good luck on the gobbler hunt.
[signature]