Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake 3-6
Out4aFloat, lunkerhunter2 and I made the trip to Bear Lake yesterday. Hit the lake just after 6:30am and came off just before 7pm. The gps says we pulled our sleds almost three miles. Total fish count for the group was 20 I think. Four white fish, one small cut and fifteen suckers. Would have had more suckers but went back out to deeper water to try one more time for a Mac.

Thanks to those who sent us some GPS coordinates. Each held fish but none that wanted to play.
[signature]
Those suckers sure seem to be thick in there this year. When we fished for whitefish about this time of year in a previous year I believe we only caught a couple suckers.
[signature]
Thanks for taking some of the trash out of the lake. Sorry to here you did not have more action.
[signature]
I went out today (3/7). I tried south of Gus Rich for whitefish and trout NADA. Saw lots of fish but no biters. So I moved to the rick pile, only 3 people there including me. The other guys were catching the small whitefish like crazy and a bunch of suckers too. I wasn't catching quite as fast but I got 8 suckers, one chub and an 18 inch whitefish. I got 3 of my suckers in the last 10 minutes while I was cleaning up to go home.
[signature]
I took my family, along with another family to the Rockpile this evening for a few hours of fishing. Decided to try fishing in shallower depths than previous trips; around 25-30'.

Caught 5 small whitefish and right before we left me wife hooked a really nice fish that broke off right near the top of the hole.

The whitefish have been sporadic at best. I am not sure what was going on????

I am glad you caught some fish.
[signature]
It is kind of funny about the suckers. I was fishing within about 8' of the other 2's holes and only caught 2 the whole time. They were pulling them in like crazy! It is amazing how it works sometimes.[cool]
Thanks for the company and conversation Matt and Richard. Wish one of us had caught a mack,[Sad]
[signature]
Hey Brody, those suckers should have dollars signs on them, LOL. When I was at Sportsmans last Friday they were totaly out of sucker meat, they said they would have to wait until spring to get a fresh suppy. I'd bet the guy that supplies Sportsmans would be willing to pay for those suckers[Wink], just a thought, in case you catch some on your next trip up. Of course, I'm not sure how legal that is but since they are not game fish, you should be OK.
[signature]
Quote:Of course, I'm not sure how legal that is but since they are not game fish, you should be OK.

On page 11 of the fishing proclamation Taking nongame fish... "you can take nongame fish for personal, noncommercial purposes"... You can not legally sale them. You also need to be sure they are not one of the nongame fish listed as prohibited. I'm guessing that they are either white suckers or utah suckers, which are not prohibited fish. If someone was really serious about catching nongame fish and selling them commercially, they could apply for a Certificate of Registration (COR) that would allow them to sale the fish.
[signature]
Thanks for the info Hookngrinin and welcome to the site. Any idea what a Certificate of Registration cost or where I would apply for one? WH2
[signature]
WH2 and others,
I just called my local UDWR regional office and they said the cost for the baitfish COR is $25 and it allows you to collect and sale the following bait fish: Utah chub, carp, mountain sucker, Utah sucker, and redside shiner. It does't allow you to sale live bait. Dead bait only. You can get more specific information and apply at your nearest UDWR regional office. Which sucker specie is in Bear Lake?
[signature]