Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Motor quick release mounts?
Still trying to figure the best way to mount my new/used bow mount motor.
I have looked in the catalogs and have seen two primary types, both by Minn-Kota.

There is the sliding type and the "Puck" type.

Does anyone own either of these two types or know of another I should consider? If you or a friend owns a quick release for their bow mount how do they like it. Is it easy to use, does it leave a sharp metal plate on the boat when the motor is off?

I'm about to drop another $100 for a removeable mounting system and want to get it right the first time.

Everyone, tell me what you know about this, and mounting bow-motors in general.
[signature]
I have had two of these from Cabelas for many years on my boats, and even in salt water, they are holding up beautifully. It takes about a minute to slide the motor from one boat to the other. Just remove a thumb screw, and slide the motor on or off. It holds the motor on very solidly, even in rough water. Can't beat the $39 either.

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0013626014791a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=trolling+motor+mount&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=trolling+motor+mount&noImage=0"]http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0013626014791a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&QueryText=trolling+motor+mount&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=trolling+motor+mount&noImage=0[/url]
[signature]
Thats the one I have on my boat and it works great,the flat metal plate does stay on the boat and has injured a few people that didn't know how to get in a boat without falling on there rear end,lol.But its nice to be able to take an $800.00 motor off the boat for safe storage.
[signature]
I have the same one as TarponJim on mine. 90% of the time I don't use it (the trolling motor) so only the plate is there. Not in the way at all.
I really only use the front trolling motor when muskie fishing at Pineview, or bass fishing at Pelican lake. Most every other time I just troll with the big motor, or am using the rear mounted hand controlled electric trolling motor (putting the boat on and off the trailer, etc.)
Randy
[signature]
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
Thanks for the input. Waht are the dimensions of that plate? I have a very narrow bow rim to mount the motor on, that is why I went with a power drive model of motor. I guess the next step is to go down to Cabalas and check them out. I saw the one you all have and like, in their catalog.
I am concerned about injury, my wife is one of those people who can't get in a boat.

I would be willing to spend the x-tra $50 if I thought the puck type would prevent an injury. Were the encounters with the permanent plate serious or just torn shorts?

Is there anyone out there that has the puck type?
[signature]
I noticed the sharp corners on that plate before I installed my new remote control model. Before I mounted it to the boat, i took it to my bench grinder and put a 3/8" radius on that alluminum plate and bevelled the edges as well. Now, if someone does catch a leg on it when its removed, it will be more of a bruise than a gash. Poor manufacturer design if you ask me. It's a design ripe for a liability case.

I love the mount though, easy on, easy off.

You will need a fairly wide rail to mount it on, my fiberglass glastron fish&ski has a flat spot molded into the hull for a troller...thak goodness.
[signature]
I will take a picture of mine and post it,I used some delrone plastice I got from work,it turned out good but I didn't have much room either.
[signature]