Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trailer locks
I just talked to a buddy of mine in Virginia. While he was fishing someone unhooked his trailer and drove away with it. It was found in North Carolina, the next day. The guy, who claims he blacked out [crazy], said he doesn't remember taking the trailer. When he left it at a rest stop his license plate was recorded on CCTV and reported to the police. Within an hour he was found on the side of the freeway passed out in his truck. I laughed my arse off when he told me this. I said "something like that would only happen to you". He then reminded me of my hitch reciever that was stolen on Monday. "Not so funny anymore, is it?"
Anyways, I bought a new reciever, ball, and hitch lock today. Now I need a trailer coupler lock but a theif can haul away a boat around the corner and cut it off. Maybe I'm just paranoid. Is there a better way to protect a trailer from being stolen? and don't say take the tires off!
[signature]
You can buy several kinds of hitch lock. I have a padlock through my ball lever. It's simple and a theif would just cut it, but It is one line of defence. I also have a construction grade cable lock that I can run thru the spokes of the wheel and around the trailer frame that I keep on when the boat is on the trailer. It would take a torch to cut. (they claim)
I think if theives want your boat or trailer they will have it. I post regularly on a florida fishing board and you would not believe the theft stories. Some boats dragged off in daylight, with locks just screeching away. Down there a boats set of engines can be worth 30K, they just strip the engines off, grab the control box and leave the rest by the road.
[signature]
I have a master lock on my trailer. If they really want to steal your boat or trailer they are gonna do it!!! Just like these car alarms they are worthless any car can be stolen.[pirate]
[signature]
I use a coupler lock and run a padlock through the saftey chain and then lock it to the hitch. In either case, if a theif really wants it they'll most likely be able to take it. By the way, how was the maiden voyage?
[signature]
It was nice, went up to Jordanelle and drove around for a while. Broke out the pole and flung a few casts with a jerkbait. One hit was all, the wind was blowing everywhere. It took me a little bit to learn how to drive it. It's incredible how the trim can effect the speed and rpm's. My girls love the new boat. I just can't wait to go fishing.
[signature]