Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling Motor Question?
After replacing my stolen Yamaha trolling motor with a used Evenrude, I took the boat to Willard today to see how the motor would run.
It was hard to start and had to have the choke pulled almost all the way out to stay running.
What causes a motor to do this?
As soon as I would try to take the choke off, the motor would die.
The motor is an early 80's 2 stroke 2 cylinder, 6 HP.
[signature]
Just a pot shot, but I'm betting that you ran the motor last without fuel stabilizer or without running it completely out of gas and the carbs gummed up bad.
No real magic can fix it. Its time to pull the carb and clean it real good.
[signature]
I'm no mechanic but check the primer bulb and hoses. Does the bulb get firm when primed?
[signature]
Dale, both the suggestions mentioned are possibilities. The next time you take it out, try running some Sea Foam(SF) in the fuel mixture. I usually use one ounce of SF per gallon of gas but you should at least double that until the engine runs better. If the problem isn't your carb being gummed up, there is a possibilities the valves are burnt. You could do a compression test to check it out. I have a 1974 Evinrude 6 house and I've had similar problems before. Hopefully your motor just has a gummed up carb. Good luck.
[signature]
Sea foam try it! I had the same problem the first time i tried running the my 8hp evinrude this year. I used sea foam and now it is running way better.I also used it on my auger this ice season because it was running crappy and after i used it it ran like new again.Try that first hopefully sea foam fixes your problem.
[signature]
Thanks for all the sugggestions.
I bought the motor last fall and this is the first time that I have tried to use it.
I will try the Sea Foam. I was going to get some on the way to Willard, but forgot.
The motor runs strong and smooth as long as it is left on choke. I hope that cleanning the motor with Sea Foam will do the trick.
Thanks again for the help.
[signature]
If the carb's gummed up, Seafoam won't fix it.
Having to run the motor with the choke part way on is a classic indicator of a dirty carb.
Seafoam is a great decarbonizer and I recommend it to anyone who run's two strokes, but it won't clean the jets and the orifices to help a gummed up carb. It might if you run it for a year or two that way, but can you stand a crappy running motor for that long???
[signature]
Dale,
I have encountered that problem on an old mariner. there is usually a replaceable fuel pump diaphram on the motor for each carb. you might check that. good luck!
[signature]