Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delta Report
What a couple of days down in Venice!

Headed downriver on Friday to see what we could find. We started the day fishing a small pond WAY BACK in the canes. The water was still surprising dirty, but fishable for the conditions. The trout didnt make an appearance, but we sure entertained ourselves with Redfish. Using only artificial, we boated our limit of reds while using a variety of plastics under a cork.

The action was certainly not fast an furious, but it was better than no action!!! I tried a couple of other spots close by the pond and didnt do anything special, so we returned and just pounded them out. Persistance is definitly the name of the game this time of year. Went back into the pond and just circled it over and over. We had several spots that would produce a fish every time around. Caught fish from 18 inches all the way up to 30+ inches. Most were in the 24-26 inch range. Fine fighting fish!!!

On Saturday I went to a different location and what a great decision!! Went and fished another pond and found some trout! Drifting the center of the pond we caught right at 40 trout, but. Normally 40 trout is not anything to special, but these fish were GORGEOUS! Didnt have a fish even close to throw back size! I think our smallest fish was about 18" and the largest about 24". Every fish were just really solid chunks! My guys said they had never caught so many trout in that size range.

Mixed up in the trout were several MONSTER reds! Had one that was over 30lbs for sure! Ony kept 3 reds, but they should had a blast catching those big uns!

All our fish were caught drifting the pond throwing pastic under a cork. The most productive seemed to be purple and white bayou chub about 18 inches under a cajun thunder cork. Spraying a little Langiappe Juice didnt hurt either. Again persistance paid off. We never hit them hot and heavy, but it was steady enough to keep you interested. Afterall, when they run that size, who cares!

I heard a boat approaching the pond so I turned to see who was coming in. Thats when I saw the fog bank moving in! Capt. Kevin arived and siad it was BAD coming accross the bay. WE talked a little and decided not leave alone. WE fished until about 1:30 when the guys told me to bring them in. Radioed Kevin and he got his crew ready leave.

The fog seemed to be lifting in the area of the pond, but as soon as we made it to cold muddy river water WHAM!! We hit it! I took the lead as we ran down Pass A Loutre back to the river. Dodging bars and flats in total white out is not fun! At times Kevin was only 10 yards off my transom and I couldnt see him! Luckily no other boats were coming down the pass and this leg on the journey was uneventful. Once we made it up toward the river, Kevin took over the second and final leg, UP THE RIVER!

It was as bad as I've ever seen! WHile following Kevin, many times all I was following was his prop wash, I could not see him! Dodging logs was NOT fun either! This entire journey was total GPS run. WE were running in a COMPLETE WHITE OUT! The fog was so thick it blocked out the sun enough to make it look like night! Once we got even with the jump, thats when the real fun began.

WE now had the task of crossing the river and entering the jump along with 100 foot crew boats! I was certainly glad I had already took my turn leading and could now follow! Kevin did an excellent job negotiating us through the traffic safely. Finally we arrived back at Venice Marina.

Luckily all our boats made it back to the marina safely. Some others did not. There were numerous reports of boats stranded and beached. This was not something you want to go out in on purpose. For that reason I cancelled yesterday instead of take the risk. Not to mention my customers were bringing a young boy. It wasnt worth the risk of life!

Getting caught in the fog on the way in is sometimes unavoidable. However going out in it is STUPID. I all to often see people taking off in that mess while all the professional captains are still sitting at the dock waiting. WE run that river everyday, and if we dont feel comfortable going out in it, you shouldnt either!

Fishing right now is not as good as its going to be shortly, but it can be a worthwhile trip! Despite the high river we able to find SOME clean water. The water on Saturday was green and clear! I cant wait to get back down there this week!

The big Girls are getting ready to bite. I caught a 8.4lbs trout last year on March 27. Beofore that we had caught about a dozen in the 6-7 pound range. In fact the picture of the big trout in the canes on my website was cuaght last year at this time. Its only a matter of time!

I didnt take any pictures of the trout, but I do have one of the BIG RED! 30+lbs in 3 feet of water! On our first drift Clyde caught his biggest redfish AND trout! Great bunch of guys on Friday and Saturday! Hope to see yall back!

Give yourself a REEL SHOT at the fishing trip of a lifetime, book with REEL SHOT Guide Service! 985-969-0810
[signature]