Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trolling motor question??
I know that a lot of 2 strokes puke through the exhaust when they are parked. What causes this and how much is too much? I have a 2000 Johnson 6 hp 2stroke that when i store in my shed it leaves a pretty good pile of gunk!! Thanks M.H.
[signature]
I have a 200 hp Mercury 2-stroke that is clean as a whistle. What would be 'puking' [shocked] out the exhaust? Fuel? I have seen alot gunk in my short life, please explain! Does it smell like gas? Oil? Does it look like there is water in it? You've got my curiosity on this one.
[signature]
What your seeing is oil residue ans it is very normal. My '68 Johnson 6hp 2-stroke does it and so does my 85 hp Evenrude. It's nothing to worry about.

AFDan52
[signature]
I used to have a 55hp Chrylsler 2-stroke that never did that. Is the motor not burning all the oil?
[signature]
I have had a mid 80s 7.5 merc and a 90 20hp mariner and they both left a few drips but this motor leaves a lot more then any of them and it is almost new!! I talked to Lee about my 20hp when it did it and he said to just run it out of gas before loading up. This motor I have ran out every time and it leave a pretty good pile. It looks like grey greasy runny cat sh!%!! But the motor runs great,easy to start purs like a kitty! Probably nothing to worry about but I though I would see what you all would think!!M.h.
[signature]
When I first got my boat and motors , I didn't notice it right away. Once I did notice it I was asking the questions that you asking now. The Johnson Evenrude motors at least the older ones that i know of all do it some. I'm thinking that it might be because of mixing too much oil in the fuel.

AFdan52
[signature]
Be sure to check your lower unit oil. If water finds its way in to the lower unit, it'll get the oil looking just like that. Next thing, be sure you're running the correct oil / gas ratio. Too much oil can give you the "drips" when the engine & exhaust system drain out. One other thing I've noticed is that some brands of 2 stroke oil will do this more than other brands. I've never considered it to be serious so can't tell you which ones do the drip thing worse or less.
[signature]
I have a 1998 2-stroke 8HP Mercury kicker and its messy too. I've talked to some mechanics and a buddy that has the same engine. The discharge is unused oil being expelled from the exhaust. This is the norm especially if its jetted for lower elevation and your running at higher elevations. Not a lot you can do except re-jet or replace it with a new, cleaner, 4-stroke. My kicker still runs great. I'm content for now, and keep a rag handy to clean the discharge. Playing with the oil concentrations could possibly due more harm than good (if you get it wrong anyways). Good luck.
[signature]
I mix it 50/1 and use Penzoil premium 2 cy. Do any of you guys mix leaner then that? I have noticed quite a bit of oil build up on the back of the boat everytime we go to wipe it down after trolling ! Mabey I will try a diffrent oil or mabey leaner? Thanks for all the replys! M.H.
[signature]
Since it's you're trolling motor, you're likely never running it WOT to burn out all the excess oil and gunk build-up. Next time when you're done fishing, instead of killing the kicker and racing back to the dock with your big motor, just open up the kicker WOT while you're putting your gear away. Five minutes is plenty.

It will still drip some oil, but should be significantly less. And the inside of your motor will be cleaner with less gunk build-up too.
[signature]
Gumbo I will give that a try thanks for the heads up!!M.H.
[signature]