Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bimini top, Decking & Pedestal seat for TU Colorado
I am in the process of rigging my TU Colorado. I am looking for a way to put a canopy or bimini top on it. Has anyone done this. Also I am trying to figure out how to apply a deck across the front portion of my toon. I was thinking about using a plastic palate. I think that wood would be to heavy. Anyone got an idea. Last but not least, has anyone tried a pedestal adapter on their toon. I found a 7" and a 13" tall one and was wondering how it would effect my stability.
Floating in the Burgh!!!!!!!!
[signature]
[#0080ff][size 1]Post:[/size] [/#0080ff] [#0080ff][size 1]I am in the process of rigging my TU Colorado. I am looking for a way to put a canopy or bimini top on it. Has anyone done this. Also I am trying to figure out how to apply a deck across the front portion of my toon. I was thinking about using a plastic palate. I think that wood would be to heavy. Anyone got an idea. Last but not least, has anyone tried a pedestal adapter on their toon. I found a 7" and a 13" tall one and was wondering how it would effect my stability.
Floating in the Burgh!!!!!!!!
[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]Kazualt, on the bimini, I have seen them mounted on pontoons. One problem is in casting. The braces are in the way. I have also seen one mounted to the back of the seat and curve over the top. Looked cool as heck, but I am sure wind would have a good time with that and turn it into a sail.[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]When you say a platform on the front, are you talking about not seated and using flippers to steer?[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]Remember, it is a pontoon and has no khel.[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]I do have a friend that bought the Sky, with intentions of using his auto motor to cruise the lake while standing. Even has a lttle remote for the motor on his wrist.[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]They do not do well at this, in fact he was a little disapointed till we pointed out that it is a pontoon and nothing to hold a straight line. You can use your oar to straighten you out, but you will be busy.[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]I could be wrong, but it sounds like you want to make the top a platform on as much of the toon as you can, then add Pedistal seats. They are not really designed for that.[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]Or Maybe you just want a platform to stand and sight fish and a chair a little higher in case you have to sit down in a hurray.[/size][/#0080ff]
[#0080ff][size 3]Anyway, I wanna hear and see where this goes. Good luck[/size][/#0080ff]
[signature]
Welcome aboard KAZUALT. We are glad to have you in our friendly forum.

It sounds like you a person that likes to tinker a bit. I think you will fit right in. We all have something in the imagination and enjoy sharing with each other.[cool]
[signature]
This is along the lines of what FG was saying about a Bimini top mounted on the seat.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12262;"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=12262;[/url]

I have nice boonie hat I use.

edited to change my link to a real link
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey kazualt, welcome to BFT.

There's something that you're going to have to get use to, it's a kick boat man, there are somethings that you just cant do to it. You'll find that getting up close and personal with the fish is the big motivation for using these small craft. You'll have to use your regular boat for all of the creature comforts.

You are not alone in wanting to add all of these items, but there are limitations. TubeDude, a site moderator, and most fanatical float fisherman, has lots of ideas and pictures of tricked out craft on this site, and I would encourage you to check them out under "Best of the Best". You will find many ideas there.

I'm waiting for someone to come on looking for instructions on how to mount a spinning, 750 mile range, grid array radar antenna on their float tube. ha ha

Enjoy it for what it is, and be sure to report your successes. Some of the postings on this site are so motivating, it make you want to grab your rods and rush out to the nearest water.

What area are you located in? Do you have access to our local Utah waters?

Good luck

PS: I just went to the Best of the Best of '06 and '07, under the comparison of tubes and toons, one of the members has posted, with pictures of what he did to his TU Colorado earlier this month. You might want to check this out, and if you have questions, you may wish to send him a PM (personal message). If you have questions on how to do this, anyone here will help you.

Tight lines
[/size][/black]
[signature]
I have had this toon for 3 years now. I have a trolling motor on it already, I have had 3 back operations in the last 2 years so extensive rowing is out of the question. I am wanting to mount a deck in front of the seat between the foot rests. Mainly to have a place to stand up on now and then and like you said do some sight fishing. I figured out a way by using rod holders to mount the canopy. I will post a pic when its done. The pedestal idea is just so I can get a little higher up to fish. Thanks for your help
[signature]
I understand the limitations of my toon. I was a helicopter mechanic and have a very good understanding of center of gravity and such. I am located in Pittsburgh Pa so Utah would be a hell of a hike for me. Thanks for all of your help
[signature]
Hey thanks for the pic link. It gave me some good info to go from.
[signature]
Hey Kazualt,

I have a colorado. I had thought about adding a top to my toon, but I like to get up in coves and move down covered banks. I thought the extra stuff over my head would just get tangled up(I have enough trouble keeping myself/rods untangled)[laugh] And wind on open water was also a concern.

As far as the platform goes, it seems like you would have to be real steady and take a knee or sit(leaning over the side or all the way over your platform) to land/net the fish.

Just my .02

If you add these mods do post picks so I know how they turned out and work. [Wink] I'm always looking for new mod ideas.(aren't we all[Tongue])
[signature]
I just went to HomeDepot and got the pvc to try and fashion the bimini. i am also a little concerned about getting tangled up, but I am going to be using adjustable rod holders to hold the top poles. The rod holders I am using are addjustable from 90 to 180 degrees. That way i should be able to lay it back for those tight spots and when it gets windy. Als by using the rod holders I will be able to remove it quickly. As far as the landing fish goes, I use a telescoping net. It allows me to scoop up the fish relatively easy. But as you pointed out I can also take a knee or grab them from the side. I just think that adding a small deck would give me a place tosight fish and also stretch my legs.
As soon as I get the mods done, I will post pics to show it off.
Do you know where I can get spare parts for the TU Colorado? I am in need of 2 pins.
[signature]
[black][size 3]So you basically want to build a Skykomish out of you TU.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Understandable, that is about al Dave Scadden builds now. The smallest one being a 9' Madison River ST and H2.[/size][/black]
[size 3][black] [inline Skykomish500.jpg][/black][/size]
[black][size 3][/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One thing, his boats are very wide. You might want to think how to widen your frame.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I would think you need something to lean against also.[/size][/black]
[signature]
By the time you spnd the money to rig your boat look into selling it and buying a scaddin they are built to sit stand or whatever you want to do and they are built tough I know the back problem the wife has had 2 back 2 shoulder and she can only go out for short amount of time so she does'nt fish like she used to
[signature]
Hey Pokymon. Have you taken your Skeeter through the rapids in your yard yet??? I'm just wondering how mine would handle if I went down the Falls in ID Falls area.[cool]
[signature]
You have to come up to find out but i will put the tubes to the test when work slows down
[signature]
You can get the same pins at Home Depot or Lowes.

The colorado wouldn't be too hard to widen. I think this decking idea might work[cool]

Now I got to get wider load bars for my roof rack. HA HA[laugh]

Can't wait to see what you come up with. If you just want to run a idea by someone just send me a PM or make a post. I'm always looking for a reason to go stare at my toon and brainstorm[Tongue]
[signature]
[black][size 3]That is really COOL![/size][/black][cool]
[signature]
[black][size 3]I have a friend that Bought the Sky and had the little wrist remote and everything. He did state however, that it does not track very good with just the motor. Here is His boat:[/size][/black]
[inline "Crowely Toon 500.jpg"]

[black][size 3]jmell44, I know a lot of people that started out with their motors on the front, but quickly switched to the rear and turned the head of the motor around so the get pulled in forward. They also found it easier to steer with flippers or an oar dragging in the water.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Without a Keel, Pontoons do not track, no matter where your motor is.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Actually, Scadden had a pontoon with about 2" rubber flap that ran the length of the pontoon. Either they didn't work or they were too expensive, but they stopped. I think it was the later of the too reasons. He also sales a plastic Rudder that attaches to the Sky, but the gentlemen that owns the boat in the picture said it didn't work very well.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I have a video of the Sky, where the guys are standing and fishing while floating a river with oar in the water running next to the boat. Occasionally, they reach down and move the oar to put them back on track. Something I think would take a little practice to get use to.[/size][/black]
[signature]
[black][size 3]Here is the the one they sell as an accessory:[/size][/black]
[inline Keel.jpg]

[black][size 3]Then here is the boat they use to make and from Talking to Larry Tullis, it worked great, just not cost effective.[/size][/black]
[inline "Rudder Pontoon.jpg"]

Notice the white rubber line along the bottom.
[signature]
Sounds awsome, I look forward to seeing the pics.
[signature]