Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Removeable trolling motor mount, Part 2
Well after much thought, visits to local sporting stores and a trip to the big one in OremI setteled on the "Puck" type by Minn-Kota.

It took a little while to figure out how the motor should set in relation to the front of the boat. And then more engineering to get every thing on a level plane.
I needed to have exactly 1 3/16 of a spacer block to start with. To make this I had to epoxy 2 pieces of 3/4 stock together and plane it down. This "Plate" was fastened to the boat with 4 stainless 1/4 inch bolts and nuts. The second "Plate" is to lift the motor bracket so that it clears the deck of the boat and to provide a platform for the "Puck"

Once it was all on the boat I applied a few liberal coats of Watco oil to the wood for water resistance.

To put the motor on you simply place the "Female" plate that is permenantly attached to the motor, OVER the "Puck" and insert the locking rod to hold it in place. I also used the quality plug and #8 ga "tinned" wire for the installation.
Removal is just as easy and fast. Once the motor is removed all that remaons is the "Puck" and the 2 blocks needed for the bow of my particular boat.

Here's the rub. I won't get to test it for at least 2 weeks, I was minding my own buisness Thursday afternoon when my truck was hit by an absent minded driver. (everyone OK) I wasn't able to tow the boat anywhere this weekend and am leaving for my spring fishing trip to Florida next weekend. Then I'll have to find a new truck when I get back, then the hitch, lights, ect. I hope the Ins considers my inconvenience and that no amount of money can replace lost fishing time.

Oh well here are some pics of the install.
[signature]
[black][size 3]Hey Troll,[/size][/black]
[size 3][/size]
[size 3]Nice installation, the wood work looks very professional. If that's you first bow mounted trolling motor, you're in for some enjoyable fishing. Sitting in the bow, with a foot controlled electric is the next best thing to walking on water.[/size]
[signature]
Nice job on the install. It looks very professional if not better. I just put the same mount on my boat and I love it. Too bad about your truck.
[signature]
Thanks for the compliments.
The wood is called IPE, it is a Brizilian Walnut that is super strong and naturally waterproof like teak. We use it for decks instead of Trex. Cost is close but the look is uncompareable.

Not so bad about the truck. I drive them until they are totaled if I let the gas tank get below 1/2.
This is what I have needed to get me to buy a new truck the last 2 times. Both had over 180K when hit. Right now I'm driving a 2007 Dakota from Enterprize. 4x4, 4 door, V-8. Exactly what I want for my next truck.
[signature]
That is one way to be motivated to get a new truck. I usually run them into the ground. I can't seem to get them run into.[Wink]
I hope to see you on the water soon.
[signature]