Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Outcast Fish Cat 4 VS Creek Co ODC 420
Looking at some pics of the ODC 420, it seems to be the same length & width of the FC4. Or is it closer to the size of a Fat Cat?

If the ODC 420 is same in size as the FC4, than there really is no difference from the two.

Does someone have the dimensions for both?

Thanks!
[signature]
They are virtually identical in size. The ODC has bigger pockets. I found that out long after buying my FC4. I am on my 3rd year with the FC4 and still enjoy it.[cool]
[signature]
Do you flyfish or fish w/ baitcaster/spinning??? If you are using baitcast/spin do you use tackle storage boxes?

I know I've asked this question before, but being 200 lbs, will I still sit high on the FC4?
[signature]
You can read up a bit more on them from their respective websites: ([url "http://www.outcastboats.com/outcastboats/fishcattubes.shtml"]FC4[/url], [url "http://www.creekcompany.com/indivdisplay.php?primaryAutoID=103&Cat=2"]ODC 420[/url])--the inflated dimensions are given for the FC4 (44"x54"), but only the packed dimensions for the ODC (22"x19"x12"). If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the ODC's a bit bigger. The overall weight for the ODC is 16 lbs. compared to 14 lbs. for the FC4.

I just bought the ODC 420, but haven't taken her out for a ride yet. Some of the factors for me were that the ODC has a lifetime warranty compared to a 5-year on the FC4. Also, the weight capacity is 300 lbs. on the ODC compared to the FC4's 250 lbs. Bigger pockets on the ODC was also a plus.

There was a [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=321446;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;"]recent post[/url] where RedDwarf found a great deal on the ODC (129.99 + s/h), and another good deal, though not quite as good, can be found at the [url "http://www.flystore.net/"]West Laramie Fly Store[/url] ($140 + s/h...scroll down and click on "Online Store ~ Enter Here").

I just bought mine at Cabelas with a $20 off coupon. They are selling them for $165, so it turned so it was about the same as the deal RedDwarf found, plus I get their customer service (which I know isn't a plus for some, but I've had great experiences so far with them). Anyway, that's my 2 cents and I'm obviously biased! Good luck!
[signature]
I actually do a wide variety of fishing from my FC4. I do use Spinning, Baitcasting, Conventional and Flyfishing in both freshwater as well as saltwater.

As far as storage boxes go, I do use a few smaller boxes and just keep 1 larger waterproof box in the bow with a few extra goodies. I try not to over do it on tackle so that I have room for some of the extra things on my tube.[cool]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There don't seem to be any published dimensions for the ODC 420. But, on a group trip this last week we had FC4, ODC and Super Fat Cat side by side. The ODC is somewhere between the 2 Outcast tubes. I'd say it is closer to the Super Fat Cat...bigger than the FC4.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is not always possible to make your own permutations based upon published stats. Some manufacturers tend to rate low for weight capacity, to avoid potential litigation or whatever. Almost all tubes will float more than the weight ratings. It boils down to available space for the angler and basic comfort and convenience on the water.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]That's why it is good to be able to try before you buy...or at least to get some input from other owners on a forum like this one.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Well I know the dilemma you are looking at. I went through the same thing last year. I choose the ODC 420 for its slightly higher weight rating as I am a bit above the 200 mark. I really like my ODC I pretty much only have one gripe about it and that is that the valves stick up in the middle of the big compartments. I fish mostly with spinning and casting gear. I can still manage to take tons of stuff out on the water. For instance here is my usually box configuration.
I usually have 2 Plano [url "http://www.planomolding.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=product&lineid=4&groupid=18&sectionid=67&partid=262"]3540's[/url] and a [url "http://www.planomolding.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=product&lineid=4&groupid=18&sectionid=67&partid=263"]3640[/url] along with [url "http://www.planomolding.com/content/index.cfm?siteaction=product&lineid=4&groupid=18&sectionid=65&partid=252"]3213[/url] and usually 2 fly boxes so I can fly and bobber and Sonar Battery. And that is just in the 2 main compartments one back compartment and one of the front compartments. There are still a variety of smaller pockets,

I will post up some pics for you tonight when I get home form work.

Majja
[signature]
Went out and mesured the ODC. All numbers given here are rounded to the closest number for convince. Length 60 inches. Width 48 inches. Bottom of seat 17 in deep 19 in wide. Back rest 16 in tall 19 inches wide.

There they are for what they are worth. Hope it helps.
[signature]
tlspyder13, thank you for the specs! Majja, please post pics of your float tube.

I got an email from Creek Company & tlsyder13, you're specs are spot on! I did ask about the tube diameter also, here is the ODC 420 specs:

approx. 60" long, 48" wide, 20" diameter tubes

So it is in between the Fish Cat 4 & the Fat Cat. I guess the only thing that bugs me about the ODC 420 is the valve is located inside the main side pockets. Why would they put the valves under the main pocket? Because if they put it outside it would be a patent infringement on the Outcast float tubes???

Now I'm at a dilemma, do I want a slighty bigger float tube w/ a higher weight rating, or do I keep the Fish Cat 4??? I am leaning towards a slightly bigger float tube w/o the price of a Fat Cat...
[signature]
Or they could even keep the valves where they are and switch to Halkey Roberts valves which would be flush on top and that would be fine also. I will be glad to post a few pics when I get home tonight. Here is one pic to tide you over. As you can see I do not miss a feeding and I still float pretty high in the water.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=22522;"]Pic of me and my tube[/url]

Majja
[signature]
I GUESS I'M GETTING IN ON THE TAIL END OF THIS CONVERSATION. GHOST I HAVE THE ODC AND I'M VERY HAPPY WITH IT. I'M AT ABOUT 250LBS AND IT FLOATS ME, ALL MY GEAR AND ROD/TOOL HOLDERS WITH NO PROBLEMS. LIKE TB2 I FISH BOTH FRESH AND SALT AND IT'S HELD UP GREAT. I'M A BASS GUY AND LIKE MOST BASS FISHERMEN I CARRY ALOT OF GEAR WITH ME, WHAT I'VE DONE IS CUT OUT THE DIVIDERS BETWEEN THE 3 POCKETS TO MAKE ONE BIG POCKET WHICH ALLOWS ME TO CARRY 3 FLAMBEAU 11 X 8 BOXES (I DON'T REMEMBER THE # OR SERIES) ON EACH SIDE. I PUT ONE BOX IN FRONT OF THE VALVE, ONE BEHIND AND THE OTHER ON TOP OF THE TWO WHICH MAKES IT SIT OVER THE VALVE. HOPE THIS HELPS.

AT
[signature]
Ghostrider here ya go. I also snapped a couple of them side by side of an older Super fat cat that I actuallu just purchased form Flygoddess. I purchased the SFC for my wife.

[inline "Left side.jpg"]

[inline "Right Side.jpg"]

[inline valve.jpg]

[inline "Side by side.jpg"]

[inline "front side by side.jpg"]
[signature]
Hey there AT I was down in you neck of the woods a few weeks ago. Caught some short butts and broke in my new tube.

We go to hit the Bass N Butts sometime.[cool]
[signature]
Thanks for the pics!

Now since the valve is in the pocket, can you still put a large or medium sized tackle storage box in there? If so, how many 1 or 2 boxes?
[signature]
Yea you can still get a fair amount of stuff in them. For instance you can get all 3 of these boxes in one main compartment, it is tight but not to tight.

[inline boxes.jpg]
[signature]
GHOST:
LIKE I MENTIONED ABOVE, BY CUTTING OUT THE 2 PARTITIONS IN EACH POCKET I CAN NOW CARRY A TOTAL OF SIX 11 X 8 BOXES.

TN2:
HEY BRO GIVE ME A SHOUT OUT NEXT TIME, BASS OR HALIS DOESN'T MATTER AS LONG AS IT PULLS HARD. I UNDERSTAND YOU KNOW THE LAGOON PRETTY GOOD AND I WOULD LOVE TO TUBE IT SOME DAY SOON.

AT
[signature]
If you don't tell the doctor I was out on mine Saturday morning before the egg hunt started I'll admit to having three boxes in the main pocket. A little tight but no problem. Just have to stack them a little different then I did in my Gunnison tube but everything fit.
[signature]
Yea it is kind like playing Tetris everything has to go in just right.
[signature]
I really like my ODC420 -- however 1 thing is bothering me that I would not have to deal with otherwise, and that has to do with the valves in the pockets. Not for space like others have said -- but the fact that the valves "move" as you are pumping it up.

As you can see in the valve pictures a few posts up, you have a little square cut out of the pocket where the valve lines up -- as you pump, the valve "moves" -- and 50% of the time (even looking at the picture above you can see that it is nowhere near center -- and is getting close to the edge), before reaching full inflation (if you are not super careful) the valve will try to "sneak" out of the square. I had an incident last week where the valve had pushed right up to the edge of the square hole and lodged the fabric of the square onto the bottom of the valve -- thus preventing a tight seal -- and resulting in a flat bladder about a mile out Smile Now the good news is -- the ODC will still float 250 lbs just fine with 1 bladder -- the bad news is that it makes it a lot harder to paddle to shore.

On the other hand, since the valves are in the pocket -- if you happen to have a pump in the tube with you (which I did not) -- you could easily add air to a bladder while afloat.
[signature]
I have an ODC pontoon and they have the same type of valves also in the pocket. Fortunately the pockets are very large so I don't have the space issues but I will second the fact that having the valves in the pocket is advantageous for on-the-water re-inflation due to cold water 'shrinkage'[Tongue]
[signature]