Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Butterfly Peacock
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Back in the olden days [early 50's] my folks built a house that backed up to the Tamiami Canal on the outskirts of Miami. Fishing was pretty good just so long as you didn't hook a gator.[Tongue] Years later I had a home built in Coral Springs about 2½ miles from the Everglades and walking distance from numerous canals. Bass were plentiful but not the Peacock which was introduced to Florida in 1984 which was years after I relocated to SoCal. My question is how good is the Peacock fishing there in the Miami area? If you have been out fishing this import what kind of size & weight are we talking about?[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Here we go, my specialty. Peacocks down here are great. Although I fish mostly down here in the Homestead area for them. Capt Joe Verdino knows about my many of reports on this. If yo leu're ever in the Homestead area near the track I'll hook you up on some spots. Not looking for money, I'm no guide, but I like to see people fishing happily. Just let me know.
[signature]
I can vouch for Dave as one heck of a shore angler. He puts in a ton of time and I've depended on his input to help out other anglers on our forum. If anyone gets a chance to fish his area he is the man to ask for advise.
[signature]
[font "Poor Richard"][green][size 3][cool]Thanks David84 for the feedback. Maybe you can send some of those dudes out my way. Would love to land one on a fly rod.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Haha...I kind of like them down here thanks...lol. I haven't caught one on fly but on spinning gear they're a hell of a fight. Like I said though, if you're ever down this way you let me know. In fact I am heading out to do some much needed peacock fishing. I will be sure to take the camera and post some pics for sure. And thanks Capt Joe, you're the man.
[signature]
Little bit of everything really. I use the Zoom super flukes in baby bass color, caught them on MirroMinnows and MirroDines, as well as a twin tail grub in the pearl color with a red 1/4oz. jighead. For the slower days jigging seems to work, but when they're moody I like to use a jerk bait to provoke a stronger fight. Largest peacock I caught was about 6lbs caught on that grub rig in the middle of a light rain down here in Homestead. Also if the water is shallow and they are feeling really feisty their top water explosions are nice. Pulled one with the Rapala skitter walk in green and silver color. But I believe anything that moves quickly like a jerk bait or is flashy with get them. I hope that helped, I haven't been out in a while due to work and stuff. Let me know if this helped at all, I try to give as much detail as possible since I know a lot of people down here have a hard time catchin' them on artificials and stuff. And that's the only way I know how to fish...lol. Take care.
[signature]
THIS IS A 6 POUNDER .. BUT IT IS OUT OF LAKE GATUN , PANAMA

I HAVE AN 8.5 LB. ON THE WALL...
[signature]