Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
cinch ya's all talking bout it.....
I have a 7.5 horse champion (like the spark plug) 1949(?) at tlhe latest 1952 two stroke outboard. it has a 1.5 gallon gas "can" on top of the motor and it runs like a, well.....champion. my "problem" is this: when i am on the water, it runs fine at higher throttle positions mainly for moving around the water, when i slow throttle to troll it runs for a few minutes (maybe 10 or 15) then starts to sputter....at this point i can keep it running by holding down the "choke" used for starting cold. but it dies as soon as i let it go. the throttle is on top of the gas can and you rotate the lever for it around the center hub and it says( no kidding) "faster" and "slower" for throttle controls.[crazy] I have tried tweaking the fuel mix and a bit on the carb but i am less than knowlegable when it comes to 2 strokes any ideas on this one???
thanks for the help.[cool]
If i can find some pics of it ill post em on later. maybe give a better idea of what the set up is.
[signature]
I'm betting you've got a gummied up low speed metering needle valve. The low speed needle will be the smaller one. It'll almost certainly be a brass screw with a little spring between the screw head & the carb. body. If you can locate it, try turning it out (left) about a turn & see if that helps. If so then go ahead & play with it a bit. Turn it in & out until you get it to run like you want it to.

Good luck.
[signature]
Is there an altitude adjust on it?? A friend of mine has an older outboard and has to tweak the altitude adjustment knob for lower rpm.
[signature]
I have 3 of them great little motor and i got them off some farmers junk pile and one run i got it and did the same thing. All I did was put a new plug and cleaned the crab real good and it ran fine. If you want to you can bring it down to Gunnison and give me about 2 hrs. and I will get it going for you.
[signature]
sounds like what geezer said, the low speed needle valve, or maybe a float level too high. those needle valves are a little tricky to get adjusted right. later chuck
[signature]
Thanks all, i will try that needle valve, i do see it has a BRASS screw with a spring around it just above the choke lever from the front of motor. If that does not work i will ask again, time to fill up the garbage can, thank god tuesday is trash day so tuesday night ill fill it with water. i will post up and let you all know if that got my lil champ running good.
[signature]